Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

When they mature, sure.

For kids under 21, I disagree.

Valid arguments each way.
Nah still disagree, 6-10 months of development is nothing in an 18-19 year spectrum, a kid born in jan could easily be less developed than someone born in december, it's more about time in the system, the extra few months of time on this earth means very very little and does not suggest they have any less development left in them than someone months younger.

Nah still disagree, 6-10 months of development is nothing in an 18-19 year spectrum, a kid born in jan could easily be less developed than someone born in december, it's more about time in the system, the extra few months of time on this earth means very very little and does not suggest they have any less development left in them than someone months younger.
Some of those born in January are a year ahead in their schooling than those born later in the year though.

For instance, Christian Petracca, Sam Powell Pepper and Darcy Tucker were all born in Jan and had all graduated from high school the year before they were drafted, so they were either at uni or in the workforce while those born say in October of that same birth year were still in yr 12 in their draft year, AND not far off a year younger in terms of age.

Surely if you're almost a year younger than someone and a year behind them at school you're pretty likely to be behind them from a development POV as well. Especially if you still happen to be growing.

They're the ones I'd really look out for. Late year birthdays who are underdeveloped, still growing and rapidly improving.

My top 10 - if I was doing the draft again.

1. Oliver - Bonafide midfield gun who wins contested ball at will. Will be one of the stars of the game.
2. Hipwood - The new age tall with height and agility that is getting compared to Franklin but in fairness still has a ways to go. Could be one of the absolute stars of the game.
3. Mills - Hasn't put a foot wrong and will no doubt be a great midfielder in years to come. Strong overhead and has quality disposal.
4. Burton - Has had a sensational year so far and is all class in defense.
5. Parish - Similar to Mills - I think he will be a very good midfielder in years to come. Shows great nous around clearances in his ability to breakaway with impeccable timing and I don't think there's any question he will be a quality player. Doing his apprenticeship as a half forward but I don't expect him to stay there long.
6. Weitering - has slid all year. Firstly he's not a forward by any stretch of the imagination and that has dented his confidence. Supposedly he's great man-on-man in defense but at AFL level he looks a lot better as the loose man and intercepting in every game I've seen. I think he'll be a very good defender but I don't know if he'll be the mega star that Carlton supporters have been pumping him up to be. Harry Taylor is a good comparison for the type of player I see him as.
7. Curnow - I haven't seen any of his 'breakout' games so far. But giving him the benefit of the doubt and as a key forward he would get taken pretty highly if he shows good potential. Its not an easy gig playing key forward in your first few years.
8. Schache - Key forward that's developing but is a very good kick at goal and has good size. I'm sure he'll end up as a good key forward at least.
9. Gresham - Hasn't put a foot wrong since being drafted. Sure I am still chuckling at the St.Kilda supporter who made a thread on the main board about him being the most talented player in the AFL but hey - he's a good young player. Very agile and dangerous around goals and I'm sure he'll be a quality midfielder sooner rather than later.
10. Hopper - He's been injured a lot but I reckon he's quality. Probably would go even higher in the real thing.

I could have shoved someone like AMT in on performance but I really don't see the point because of his age and in a real draft he would not get taken top 10 but more likely somewhere in the top 20.

Some of those born in January are a year ahead in their schooling than those born later in the year though.

For instance, Christian Petracca, Sam Powell Pepper and Darcy Tucker were all born in Jan and had all graduated from high school the year before they were drafted, so they were either at uni or in the workforce while those born say in October of that same birth year were still in yr 12 in their draft year, AND not far off a year younger in terms of age.

Surely if you're almost a year younger than someone and a year behind them at school you're pretty likely to be behind them from a development POV as well. Especially if you still happen to be growing.

They're the ones I'd really look out for. Late year birthdays who are underdeveloped, still growing and rapidly improving.
Nah completely disagree, players come in first year developed and have a bigger impact than 2nd 3rd year guys because they're still developing, a few months is nothing. For instance I'm born in September but am much more developed than many of my friends born in feb/march etc. Development is purely a case by case basis, a kid born in december MAY be less developed than someone born earlier, but this is almost definitely not due to being a few months younger. The Mckay boys are born on Dec 24 and are both very developed boys, Kieran Collins likewise the 14th of December, if they were underdeveloped people would say oh but they're born later so they've got time, but no one mentions it because they're not underdeveloped.

Nah completely disagree, players come in first year developed and have a bigger impact than 2nd 3rd year guys because they're still developing, a few months is nothing. For instance I'm born in September but am much more developed than many of my friends born in feb/march etc. Development is purely a case by case basis, a kid born in december MAY be less developed than someone born earlier, but this is almost definitely not due to being a few months younger. The Mckay boys are born on Dec 24 and are both very developed boys, Kieran Collins likewise the 14th of December, if they were underdeveloped people would say oh but they're born later so they've got time, but no one mentions it because they're not underdeveloped.
Of course it's a case by case basis, but I'm just speaking generally and like I said, I reckon if someone is close to a year younger than someone else, is also a year behind them in their schooling and are clearly underdeveloped and still growing, they are the ones I'd be looking out for.

I'm not talking about the ones who are clearly more developed.

Of course it's a case by case basis, but I'm just speaking generally and like I said, I reckon if someone is close to a year younger than someone else, is also a year behind them in their schooling and are clearly underdeveloped and still growing, they are the ones I'd be looking out for.

I'm not talking about the ones who are clearly more developed.
School doesn't have a lot to do with it. If someone is underdeveloped then they'll have development left in them, regardless of when they were born, how much development is mainly dependant on genetics given it'd be hard to put on muscle manually in an AFL environment, with the exception of a few players like Jarrod Grant who obviously can't put on muscle in a footy environment.

I always enjoy people redoing a draft and midfielders always fly up the rankings and tall players are expected in their first two years to become stars.
i agree with this but the above selections have been quite fair to KPP's.
lets look at Blitzer's post:
1. Oliver - Mid
2. Hipwood - KPP
3. Mills - Mid
4. Burton - KPP
5. Parish - Mid
6. Weitering - KPP
7. Curnow - KPP
8. Schache - KPP
9. Gresham - Mid
10. Hopper - Mid

Gresham has a lot more upside than a few others drafted higher than him like Parish, Francis, Weideman, McKay etc.

He has insane scope to be a damaging outside midfielder and a deadly crumbling pocket.

I think he's on par with Rioli as a forward, but goes ahead of him due to his potential to rack up big numbers in the midfield.

Gresham has that balance only the elite have

Gresham has that balance only the elite have
Yep, he honestly does remind me of Ablett with his ridiculous low centre of gravity and core strength at such a young age. He has extremely quick lateral movements too and seems to think his way through traffic. He's going to be a very, very good player for us once he learns to find the ball at AFL level like he did in the TAC cup.

Even if he doesn't eventually head into the midfield, he will be a very very good forward pocket for us for a very long time. Can read the crumb well.

Yep, he honestly does remind me of Ablett with his ridiculous low centre of gravity and core strength at such a young age. He has extremely quick lateral movements too and seems to think his way through traffic. He's going to be a very, very good player for us once he learns to find the ball at AFL level like he did in the TAC cup.

Even if he doesn't eventually head into the midfield, he will be a very very good forward pocket for us for a very long time. Can read the crumb well.

I know this has been a dirty word for some reason but I see a lot of Cotchin in him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree with this but the above selections have been quite fair to KPP's.
lets look at Blitzer's post:
1. Oliver - Mid
2. Hipwood - KPP
3. Mills - Mid
4. Burton - KPP
5. Parish - Mid
6. Weitering - KPP
7. Curnow - KPP
8. Schache - KPP
9. Gresham - Mid
10. Hopper - Mid
Exactly my point, people have dropped Weitering and Scache already.

Exactly my point, people have dropped Weitering and Scache already.
So you have them higher? that's your opinion.

on exposed form i like Blitzers post, not exactly how i would have it but a fair effort with a very strong top 10. 5 Kpp's in his top 10.

Give us yours?

So you have them higher? that's your opinion.

on exposed form i like Blitzers post, not exactly how i would have it but a fair effort with a very strong top 10. 5 Kpp's in his top 10.

Give us yours?

Never really a fan of the redo drafts concept as you become bias towards midfielders as their output is always quicker.

1. Weitering
2. Schache
3. Mills
4. Oliver
5. Hipwood
6. Parish
7. Burton (Still some concerns about his injury potential long term)
8. Curnow
9. McKay
10. Rioli

Something along those lines. I don't think the talls have shown to be complete flops, so I would still give them a few more years to show their worth. Hipwood was always highly rated and nothing really changes there on his output.
I guess Burton moves up due to him showing the injury problems may not be an issue.

Never really a fan of the redo drafts concept as you become bias towards midfielders as their output is always quicker.

1. Weitering
2. Schache
3. Mills
4. Oliver
5. Hipwood
6. Parish
7. Burton (Still some concerns about his injury potential long term)
8. Curnow
9. McKay
10. Rioli

Something along those lines. I don't think the talls have shown to be complete flops, so I would still give them a few more years to show their worth. Hipwood was always highly rated and nothing really changes there on his output.
I guess Burton moves up due to him showing the injury problems may not be an issue.
I'm taking Gresham a long way before Rioli at this stage, has more goals this year (22.26 v 19.11 so really should be a much bigger gap) despite not actually being a small forward and playing some midfield time, far better and more rounded player than Rioli.

I'm taking Gresham a long way before Rioli at this stage, has more goals this year (22.26 v 19.11 so really should be a much bigger gap) despite not actually being a small forward and playing some midfield time, far better and more rounded player than Rioli.

The pressure Rioli places around the contest is hard to measure, I like what he has to offer.

Yeah that's true but just think gresham has way more potential as a footballer and a higher output right now.
All good mate, does not really matter in the long run.

I really liked Gresham as a junior, so good to see him showing some output. I think I even selected him in the BF Phantom draft back in the day.

Mids are always going to make their way into the game quicker than talls and 2015 was quite a tall year at the top end, with Weitering, Schache, Weideman, Mckay, Himmelberg and Hipwood all in the top 16.
At this stage Oliver is the clear standout, but I wouldn't be surprised should Parish edge closer.

Weitering stocks were hit this year for a mix of injury (albeit only a slight injury) and form.
The quality should be showing him up in the top 5 easily, but the endeavour hasn't quite been there this year. He'll have to pick-up.

There's some crazy talent amongst the group: Oliver, Hipwood, Curnow, Weitering and Parish. Time will tell who's best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back