Relocation and Mergers rumoured to be back in the news!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Time will tell I guess.
Club's been around since 1869. We've had ups and downs, not going to deny it. But has there been a Victorian club that has not been in financial trouble at some point?

Richmond and Collingwood are the gold standard for clubs getting themselves out of the shitter financially. We've done it in a different way, but from being almost broke in the 90s and having the AFL trying to move us in the 00s, we've quietly and prudently got ourselves out of the mire. And that's a good thing for footy overall.

Club's been around since 1869. We've had ups and downs, not going to deny it. But has there been a Victorian club that has not been in financial trouble at some point?

Richmond and Collingwood are the gold standard for clubs getting themselves out of the shitter financially. We've done it in a different way, but from being almost broke in the 90s and having the AFL trying to move us in the 00s, we've quietly and prudently got ourselves out of the mire. And that's a good thing for footy overall.
Yes officially the third oldest Aussie Rules team in the country, and second oldest in the modern AFL after Melbourne.

If North could do it, any team can. North have always been innovative and in many ways the trail blazers of the League. Consider, the first team in the 70s to do a wholesale recruitment from interstate leagues which led to fiive straight Grand Final appearances and two flags. The first team to embrace night football into its regular home and away season program. The first team to embrace and regularly play Friday Night football. The first team to play interstate home games.

It took a while for the rest of the other clubs to catch on to these things, but now they are all regular features of our game.

Last edited:
Relocations gives the clubs the chance to maintain their identity and still keep tapping into their existing supporter bases.

Reducing the number of clubs based in Melbourne is not sacrilegious either, it has to be the way of the future. We need a better 'spread' of clubs across the country, not 50% of them condensed into one city. (I'm not counting Geelong in this as they are in their "own" stand alone city).

I've always been an advocate for further expansion into NSW & QLD as they are have large populations plus the game is growing there.

Sunshine Coast (relocation)
North Brisbane (relocation
North Sydney/Northern Beaches (new)
Illawarra (new)
Central Coast (new)
Canberra (new)
Tasmania (relocation)

Grow the total number of clubs to 22 playing a 21-game season.

This would require three of the existing Melbourne clubs to either relocate (best option) or merge in order to accommodate the new entities.

Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond & Essendon are successful clubs with big member/supporter bases so it would be unlikely they would be involved. Hawthorn has been a runaway success over the past 20-30 years so they too are unlikely to be involved.

This leaves Melbourne, North, St.Kilda & Bulldogs as the clubs considered to be vulnerable.

However, the Dogs have control of the large western corridor of Melbourne which gives them a strong geographic position to build upon so I think they are safe as is. (I'm a little biased here too, even though I'm a Carlton member, I am a fan of the Doggies and always have been, I briefly worked for them in the sponsorship dept plus spent many years working at Western General Hospital next door.)

North have always had issues with a permanent location, they have sold games interstate and even tried to make a move to Sydney. Even though they came to the premiership party late, they are not one of the stronger supported clubs either.

St. Kilda have also dabbled with being based elsewhere (Junction Oval, Moorabbin & Casey) plus only have the one premiership to its name which must be a heavy burden for their fans to carry.

Melbourne are the perennial under-achievers after being a power club in the first half of their tenure, they always promise a lot but have never really delivered.

If the Saints were to relocate to the Sunshine Coast (ie. S.C. Saints) & North to a new Brisbane base (its a very easy one - North Brisbane Kangaroos), the decision on what to do with Melbourne becomes easier to work with. "Hobart Demons" might work for everyone plus regular Dees supporters could make the occasional trip to Tassie to watch a game there.

I would think the obvious and logical move for North Melbourne would be Darwin and the NT. The Northern Kangaroos. It just works.

I would also seriously consider moving the GWS to Canberra permanently. Not really sure its going to work in rugby league heartland of Western Sydney.

Which leaves one of St Kilda, The Dees or The Bulldogs to make a move across the straight to Tassie.

That leaves you with a truly Australian Football League. Every state and territory represented in a truly national competition.

Just my opinion. :)

Without a doubt St Kilda.

Terrible history, tiny fan base, no room for growth geographically.

Collingwood would be good. Tasmania was a penal colony and the jail bars look relevant to their history. They could put Eddie and Bucks faces up on that wall at MONA where that Belgian artist had anus imprints up on the walls and get involved in some local culture. Similar attitude to indigenous culture too. Go all Catholic Church and hide our shameful deviants where no-one will notice. Most of Collingwood's growth is through close family interactions so really you couldn't find a better fit. ;)

Collingwood would be good. Tasmania was a penal colony and the jail bars look relevant to their history. They could put Eddie and Bucks faces up on that wall at MONA where that Belgian artist had anus imprints up on the walls and get involved in some local culture. Similar attitude to indigenous culture too. Go all Catholic Church and hide our shameful deviants where no-one will notice. Most of Collingwood's growth is through close family interactions so really you couldn't find a better fit. ;)

Triggered.

Yes officially the third oldest Aussie Rules team in the country, and second oldest in the modern AFL after Melbourne.
Geelong, Melbourne, Carlton, Tea Tree Gully, Williamstown are older

And they're just off the top of my head (well, Geelong, Melbourne and Tea Tree Gully were off the top of my head, Carlton and Williamstown I found off minimal research)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne having 9 teams in a faux national comp is a nonsense that in tough economic times is not sustainable.

A reduction to 16 teams is more viable financially and fixture wise. It would also improve quality across the comp.

Tasmania merits a team and WA probably has a case for a third team. Elimination of four Melbourne teams via relocation and amalgamation can be achieved without wrecking the Melbourne market.

Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne (only for its name), Hawthorn are locks to remain four of the five remaining. North, Carlton and St Kilda would be the first out the door. Footscray and Essendon is a toss up.

Melbourne having 9 teams in a faux national comp is a nonsense that in tough economic times is not sustainable.

A reduction to 16 teams is more viable financially and fixture wise. It would also improve quality across the comp.

Tasmania merits a team and WA probably has a case for a third team. Elimination of four Melbourne teams via relocation and amalgamation can be achieved without wrecking the Melbourne market.

Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne (only for its name), Hawthorn are locks to remain four of the five remaining. North, Carlton and St Kilda would be the first out the door. Footscray and Essendon is a toss up.

essendon is untouchable - financially and with support, they pretty much kept on chugging with even the asada saga

essendon is untouchable - financially and with support, they pretty much kept on chugging with even the asada saga

Aye probably safer than Footscray. Plus every comp needs a black hat villain.

If North could do it, any team can. North have always been innovative and in many ways the trail blazers of the League. Consider, the first team in the 70s to do a wholesale recruitment from interstate leagues which led to fiive straight Grand Final appearances and two flags. The first team to embrace night football into its regular home and away season program. The first team to embrace and regularly play Friday Night football. The first team to play interstate home games.

It took a while for the rest of the other clubs to catch on to these things, but now they are all regular features of our game.

Also the first, or one of, I'm not sure, to try and market themselves Nationally as a club anyone can follow, not just people from North Melbourne.
Doesn't sound like much, but in terms of the sport moving to being more professional, it was a bit of a shift.

Also the first, or one of, I'm not sure, to try and market themselves Nationally as a club anyone can follow, not just people from North Melbourne.
Doesn't sound like much, but in terms of the sport moving to being more professional, it was a bit of a shift.

I thought they just went Kangaroos rather than North Melbourne because that's when they were playing a few home games in Sydney and they started the two decades of flirting with/abandoning other markets.

There was a bit of a trend with teams changing their names, a few in the NRL (Northern Eagles, Sydney City Roosters, Perth Reds became Western Reds), even Footscray to the Western Bulldogs.
Half of them have ended up reverting back to the original names.

North have been innovative, but I dunno it just always seems like they pave the way and then someone else comes in and just owns it, it'd be frustrating for them.

Theres a massive darkhorse in terms of mergers/acquisitions/relocations.

The Brisbane Lions.

I am fully against the notion of a merger, but if GCS cannot obtain a viable footprint in the short term, it needs to be strategically evaluated, and Brisbane could potentially acquire them and make themselves the Queensland lions, playing two games a year at Metricon.

The AFL would be absolutely crazy to abandon a club in Melbourne, that will provide generational support for the game, for a club that is leaking funds and not setting themselves up for success.

Instead of the 200 million (Probably conservative) that the AFL has lost on the suns, they could have invested that into a boutique stadium in Melbourne which would be perfect for North, St.kilda, melbourne and the dogs to play at, instead of 40% filling marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back