Politics Revealing who you vote for...

Remove this Banner Ad

morell

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bit of a nothing thread, but it's got me interested...

As many on this board would be aware its SA's state election this weekend. The office is abuzz with people talking about the issues and the pro's and con's of the relevant candidates.

Obviously this type of conversation leads to the ..so, who are you going to vote for...? question.

I have been amazed by the number of people that take great offence to being asked. Some even get quite angry.

The majority of these people were male and of an older generation. I then recalled my old man never telling us who he voted for.

What is the history behind this thinking?
Is it a generational thing?
Is it an Australian thing? - the old "Don't talk about religion and politics"...

Little help?

I really don't see any harm in asking who my friends and/or family are going to vote for. It's just casual discussion whenever I bring it up.

Although, I do suspect context would be the operative word here.

btw, Who are you voting for? ;):p

I agree about the context. Most of the time its the old.

"Yeah, I just don't trust Rann anymore"
"Fair enough, so you're voting Liberal then?"
"That's a very personal question"

Some even get a bit flustered and smile awkwardly.

I find it really strange as I couldn't give a flying fat rats clacker who knows who I am voting for.

And to answer your question - I have no idea. Probably some independent. Kind of want Labor to get booted though. They have had long enough and, well, there's a certain someone (see sig) who I would love to see get ditched.

I agree about the context. Most of the time its the old.

"Yeah, I just don't trust Rann anymore"
"Fair enough, so you're voting Liberal then?"
"That's a very personal question"

Some even get a bit flustered and smile awkwardly.

I find it really strange as I couldn't give a flying fat rats clacker who knows who I am voting for.

And to answer your question - I have no idea. probably some independent.

Kind of want Labor to get booted though. They have had long enough and, well, there's a certain someone (see sig) who I would love to see get ditched.

I've had the same thing happen to me many times.

And yeah, I'd like to see Labor get booted out, and I'll probably vote independent as well, but there's buckleys chance of Labor losing Cheltenham...

If people ask me, I'll tell them. And I'll happily talk/argue politics, BUT it's one of those topics I put under 'Don't introduce yourself'. Specific current issues, yes, but politics in general no.

Although with power centralised increasingly in Canberra (regardless of which party is in power federally), it's hard to get excited about state elections.

If people ask me, I'll tell them. And I'll happily talk/argue politics, BUT it's one of those topics I put under 'Don't introduce yourself'. Specific current issues, yes, but politics in general no.

Although with power centralised increasingly in Canberra (regardless of which party is in power federally), it's hard to get excited about state elections.
Why?

I'm happy to discuss my voting preferences but I definitely understand people who don't.

Secret ballot is such a vital part of our democracy, people need to feel free to vote honestly without fear of reprisals from people with power over them who have differing opinions.

That's why it's a bit of a taboo to directly ask someone who they are voting for.

For the reason that some people get offended or don't like to reveal their views.
3 things top my list of what people shouldn't shove in others faces when they aren't interested are:

1. Politics
2. Their kids - before I had kids I found it annoying when parents thought everyone should adore their kids and insisted on telling me all about them. So now I've got them I don't tell anyone (outside of family) anything about what they do unless specifically asked.
3. Your sex life/orientation - it's your business, I don't care if who or what sex you're doing it with, but don't ram it my face. Ie. annual 'parades'.

I'm happy to discuss my voting preferences but I definitely understand people who don't.

Secret ballot is such a vital part of our democracy, people need to feel free to vote honestly without fear of reprisals from people with power over them who have differing opinions.

That's why it's a bit of a taboo to directly ask someone who they are voting for.
This was my theory too. That back in the day of hard arse unions and localised political pressure, I could understand this. But in today's age? I mean, really, I don't think anyone is going to threaten to kneecap you if you're voting for the wrong party.

The other thing was perhaps people don't want to get into a discussion about it is it can be quite a volatile subject. That I do understand. However most of the time there has already been a political discussion, and the the subject of who you're voting for comes up.

For the reason that some people get offended or don't like to reveal their views.
3 things top my list of what people shouldn't shove in others faces when they aren't interested are:

1. Politics
2. Their kids - before I had kids I found it annoying when parents thought everyone should adore their kids and insisted on telling me all about them. So now I've got them I don't tell anyone (outside of family) anything about what they do unless specifically asked.
3. Your sex life/orientation - it's your business, I don't care if who or what sex you're doing it with, but don't ram it my face. Ie. annual 'parades'.
I guess my point was. why get offended?

There is a difference between shoving it someone's face and taking offence to being asked about it.

Would you take offence if I asked how little Andre was going with his swimming lessons?

did anyone you ask politely decline to answer?

i rarely like discussing politics or religion (in person as opposed to BF) because most of my friends are either conservative fundamentalist christians or atheist/agnostic green left weekly types and i'm agnostic conservative (economically not socially). with closer nonjudgemental friends and family members i enjoy discussing such things because politics and religion are very interesting but these discussions don't go down the well worn track of disagreement leading to arguement leading to personal attack.

as far as work goes, my workmates don't seem to give a s**t about such things which suits me fine

i am a little taken a back (not offended though) when people directly ask me "who did you vote for? or what do you think of Tony Abbott? etc" usually the keener people are to know the keener they are to judge you and let forth a boring as batshit rant.

so yeah generally when people try to engage me i politely (as possible) avoid the topic

Bit of a nothing thread, but it's got me interested...

As many on this board would be aware its SA's state election this weekend. The office is abuzz with people talking about the issues and the pro's and con's of the relevant candidates.

Obviously this type of conversation leads to the ..so, who are you going to vote for...? question.

I have been amazed by the number of people that take great offence to being asked. Some even get quite angry.

The majority of these people were male and of an older generation. I then recalled my old man never telling us who he voted for.

What is the history behind this thinking?
Is it a generational thing?
Is it an Australian thing? - the old "Don't talk about religion and politics"...

Little help?

My eldest daughter asked me this the other day and much to her disgust I declined to answer. My reasoning for this was to avoid "group think" and encourage her to formulate opinions from her own observations rather than blindly follow her "old man's".(footy excepted;)) I think in this day and age that the main political parties act on self preservation rather than ideologue or principal and therefore it is more important than ever to critique them on performance rather than perception. Perhaps, in hindsight, I should have encouraged a debate with her to encourage her to question.

There's a clown running in my electorate tomorrow.

Timothy Kidd A 56 year-old performing artist, mime and clown from Penguin, Kidd states that he hopes to 'educate the other clowns in Parliament.'

I like the fact he's up front and honest about it, unlike the other less talented acts under the big top. He's about the best option I have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issues with people asking who I vote for.

Tassie's system is a bit different to everywhere else so we have to vote for 5 candidates. For what it's worth, today I voted for 3 Labor and 2 Libs. Greens missed out because I actually WANT a pulp mill in my backyard. One of the Beaconsfield trapped miners was a candidate in my electorate too. He didn't get my vote because I'm not sure being in the wrong place at the wrong time is really a valid reason for running.

politics seems to have become more and more like a team thing.

I get amazed at the people who "celebrate" governments getting in, I gather they don't have much else in their life becuase unless that Government has said "i will give every person who votes for us $1m" there is really nothing all that exciting about a change in government, especially these days when the only real difference appears to be hair colour, suit type and who they support in their favorite code of football

I always say I'm voting for the Communist Party when somone asks me, not that I'm bothered if people know.

politics seems to have become more and more like a team thing.

I get amazed at the people who "celebrate" governments getting in, I gather they don't have much else in their life becuase unless that Government has said "i will give every person who votes for us $1m" there is really nothing all that exciting about a change in government, especially these days when the only real difference appears to be hair colour, suit type and who they support in their favorite code of football

Agreed. The "red or blue" philosophy of voting is ridiculously flawed. My old man will never, ever, ever, vote Labor. Ever. I try to have conversations with him about the issues and it always ends up "blue = good and red = bad". I've got mates who think the same way but in reverse.

I like to think of myself as a classic swinging voter and try as much as possible to vote on the issues at hand. This weekend's vote was a tough one, mainly because the options were so s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back