Review of the football department

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Peter Nash not Peter Walsh.

Just so everyone has some background Peter is a man of great credibility in the professional accounting/'big 4' consulting world - worked his way through the kpmg ranks to become national chairman - a very prestigious post.

His involvement in this review suggests the terms of reference are broader than football operations - it suggests that it would involve all areas of the NMFC. This would be a positive sign as membership, seating, functions, (coffee shop!), all need a serious look at.

Child choking magnets and Reserve Seating Level 2 don’t forget thanks Nashy.

You should be assured that Peter Nash is independent and no ones 'yes' man.

He wont be offering great insights into the football side of things (Arch will need to do that) but Nash will run a credible and insightful review of the club.

Just because he would have been Funky's boss/mentor 10 years ago is not an issue here.

Will Nash talk to the current Board - of course - but don't worry - he will run an independent review - all the i's will be dotted and t's crossed.

It will be a solid review - well overdue - and hopefully creates a clear pathway for us to move out of the mire we are in as a club.
Hope so. Only mention of Nash previously was particularly unflattering but I suppose the board nominee was somewhat aggrieved by his veto.

Hope so. Only mention of Nash previously was particularly unflattering but I suppose the board nominee was somewhat aggrieved by his veto.
He has a very impressive CV and I don't doubt his love for the club.

I found him to be professional and courteous, up until the point where he was asked to provide the committee's deliberations in writing. Then he just went quiet.

I wasn't thrilled but I don't think I've smeared the man's reputation or anything.

He has a very impressive CV and I don't doubt his love for the club.

I found him to be professional and courteous, up until the point where he was asked to provide the committee's deliberations in writing. Then he just went quiet.

I wasn't thrilled but I don't think I've smeared the man's reputation or anything.
Not suggesting that you did - but you did not seem overly impressed. Also not suggesting Nash is anything other than very capable and professional. My only disappointment is that I would have liked someone totally independent to be on the panel.

So the Richmond review basically said if you want to keep Dimma you need to change all his assistants and give them more authority.
The Collingwood review found they needed to give everyone more secure contracts, including the coach, stop the handshake deals and basically behave more like a modern corporate citizen.
Any thoughts on what ours is likely to recommend? Probably need to be more willing to embrace change and show some flexibility. Divest less authority in the coach. Be a bit more willing to look outside the square, less reactive?

So the Richmond review basically said if you want to keep Dimma you need to change all his assistants and give them more authority.
The Collingwood review found they needed to give everyone more secure contracts, including the coach, stop the handshake deals and basically behave more like a modern corporate citizen.
Any thoughts on what ours is likely to recommend? Probably need to be more willing to embrace change and show some flexibility. Divest less authority in the coach. Be a bit more willing to look outside the square, less reactive?

Interesting stuff. I think the review becomes harder without the coach being around? It'll be a lot of he said she said from staff you'd think as they look to secure their positions going forward. Probably needed to come sooner.

Galey worked very closely with Mitchell, the analysis of their footy department was incredible. Headhunting the right assistants to provide some tactical nous was a winning move.

I'm hoping that we identify and recruit talent from the industry to take up key posts in the footy department, and get in a number of solid assistant coaches to support the head coach. If it means we pay overs to secure the right development and line coaches, so be it. Time to shift away from jobs for the boys - we need to be bold and use our improved bottom line to get the right people through the door.

It seems that the board has delivered some strong off field results without nailing the footy bit right. With this review hopefully we start to remedy that and see improved results on field. More finals, more TV, more members, more $.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the wake of St Kilda releasing their review findings -
Has North Melbourne ended up doing the same thing that was promised* or have they swept it under a rug or has the Clarkson allegations provided a legit excuse not to?

* 0:25-0:45 mark-

So no one has any info on something that will be crucial to North finding our bearings again and getting back to the top where we should be?
i got some info for your signature: it's Sonja

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So no one has any info on something that will be crucial to North finding our bearings again and getting back to the top where we should be?

Part of Sonja’s email on this:

But while that’s a lot to celebrate, no one can be happy with a season that saw us win just two games, and only really be competitive in a handful more. Which is why we engaged Geoff Walsh mid-year to spend a month in our football department to help the Board understand what was working and what wasn’t. We’ve had significant change in the intervening period, and Geoff’s findings have been crucial in helping us understand where our strengths lie, and where we can do better.

Geoff’s report highlighted the many highly regarded and skilled individuals within the areas including high performance, medical and support, player excellence, development, analysis and operations. The report also spoke very positively about the environment and culture. The playing list, coaching and list management received both positive and negative feedback.

Most of Geoff’s observations related to structural, rather than personnel changes, and we’ve started to implement some of his recommendations. One of these included a recommendation to restructure the football department under one General Manager of Football (where previously there had been two), and for the senior coach to report into this role.

The report also recommended closer collaboration between list management and coaching, and more clarity around the roles of the player performance and performance psychology teams. Both of these areas which will be a focus for Todd Viney as the new General Manager of Football going forward. We have already seen some key outcomes that came off the back of Geoff’s work and the final structure will be in place ahead of the start of pre-season in November.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back