Past Coach Brett Ratten - set to depart NM - Thanks Ratts!

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

PS: I didn't like him much as a player because he was bloody good. He might not have been a Kernahan, McKay or Kouta but he gave it everything in the games I saw him play and he more than halved every contest. If some of that has rubbed off on the North players that he coached this season then I will be very pleased.

And as much as I didn't like him as a player, I really did like him because he had G&D.
Ratts was a very underrated footballer and probably the only Carlton player from that era that I liked. I'm pretty sure he won their B&F in a premiership year and had at least one top 5 Brownlow finish. He was humble and didn't have that typical Carlton arrogance about him. And he was as hard as a cat's head.

His drive-by on Nick Riewoldt was definitely my favourite off-field moment of the year.

Thanks and go well Ratts.

PS - F*** Nick Riewoldt

I wonder why he is leaving...
Yes, interesting that he says he doesnā€™t know what heā€™s doing next. If he was retiring to plant maples heā€™d presumably say so.

Is there another job he hasnā€™t yet announced or was he unable to agree terms with nmfc? Why leave a job after only one (admittedly extraordinary) year? Given the crucial role Ratts has played, members deserve more information than this from the club.

ā€¦And thanks Ratts

Good man, great man, and I hope he enjoys whatever it is he goes on to do next but it's a real shame to see him depart.

Decision may well have been in part because of the potential awkwardness if Clarko so much as looks like he's doing it a bit rough again. Can just imagine the absolute drek journalists would write if Ratten was still waiting in the wings. Neither of them would deserve it.

Also wouldn't be shocked if he just wanted a cushier gig, not like he had it easy with us this year!

Itā€™s a weird one. Statistically our worst coach with 0 wins?
But one of my favourites. Stats lie.
Probably someone worse from the 30s or 60s etc. And no regular blowouts anyway. Again, stats would be lying here.

History (and we) should, and will, remember him more fondly than that.

Took us ā€˜thereaboutsā€™ when we were rubbish at worst, stale at best and not looking likely.
Made us competitive again.
Defended us.
Fit our culture like a glove.
Stepped into the hot seat after the previous club humiliated him.
Did it for a mate when he didnā€™t have to.
Put it all in perspective on that Fox Footy interview.
Was utterly elated when we won on the weekend. Absolutely stoked.

And thatā€™ll be my lasting memory of a bloke Iā€™ll remember and be thankful for forever.
I had him in the highest esteem already but I canā€™t rate the bloke any higher after this year.

Thanks Ratts. All the best.

Last edited:
Jumping in the car on way from long day at work and heard the newsā€¦..buggerā€¦but totally understand.
So Brett, as a player, and a young opposition supporter l saw how brilliant you were and admired and wished you ruled out..I often wondered what you were like outside game day. l was absolutely stoked to hear you were coming to our clubā€¦ now on this day as you move on l say thisā€¦.Thank you, for sharing with us your humble, caring and often humorous personality. Your guidance and connection with our players and fans during this tumultuous time wonā€™t be forgotten. When we lift up number 5 l hope you are there in amongst it.. forever one of us. Thanks Ratts. šŸ’™šŸ¤

Ratts was a very underrated footballer and probably the only Carlton player from that era that I liked. I'm pretty sure he won their B&F in a premiership year and had at least one top 5 Brownlow finish. He was humble and didn't have that typical Carlton arrogance about him. And he was as hard as a cat's head.

His drive-by on Nick Riewoldt was definitely my favourite off-field moment of the year.

Thanks and go well Ratts.

PS - F*** Nick Riewoldt
Yes absolutely underrated - 3 B&F and two all Australians - phenomenal career really. Unassuming, no hype and he stepped up for us in difficult times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually hurt a bit reading that, goes to show how impactful he's been for us this year.

There's a particular kind of respect and appreciation you have for the people who stick by you when you're at your lowest, that help you get back up and on track, that's the feeling i'll have attached for Ratts forever now.

Same here.

Was always on the cards, he only committed for the one year, and he went way above and beyond what he was going to do. Really sad to see him go, would have loved him to stay around in his original part time role.

Thanks for everything Ratts. Feel free to come back/stop by the joint.

Must be nice to get out on his own terms for once.

So apparently he wanted to stay but in a full time director of coaching type role

Which we couldnā€™t do

I guess it would be too similar to Toddā€™s role

Not sure if thereā€™s a way we could have made it work
With Vodd and Clarko on board, there was no logical vacancy and no reason to create a director of coaching role. Take one of them out and replace with someone of lesser experience and there was a possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back