Past Coach Brett Ratten - set to depart NM - Thanks Ratts!

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

So apparently he wanted to stay but in a full time director of coaching type role

Which we couldn’t do

I guess it would be too similar to Todd’s role

Not sure if there’s a way we could have made it work

“Too many bulls in the one paddock” - Glynis Fagan, 1994

In isolation Ratts departure is concerning but I'm confident we can lure a capable replacement.

Without Ratts this season could've been an unmitigated disaster so he'll be forever looked upon fondly from my pov.

No, this is the type of role he wanted at North but we couldn't accomodate it as there was too much cross over with Viney's role

Yes, I understood those were the rumors.

It's just that the club, Sonja etc sold it to the members that he was getting out of footy and pursing interests in his farm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I understood those were the rumors.

It's just that the club, Sonja etc sold it to the members that he was getting out of footy and pursing interests in his farm.
The club announcement said he had decided to move on to ”new challenges” and quoted him saying he wanted to stay in the game and was open to opportunities - some media (like that prize idiot Mark Stevens) talked about the farming but I don’t think North ever suggested he was getting out of the game.

The club announcement said he had decided to move on to ”new challenges” and quoted him saying he wanted to stay in the game and was open to opportunities - some media (like that prize idiot Mark Stevens) talked about the farming but I don’t think North ever suggested he was getting out of the game.

Sonja mentioned his Japanese Maple farm at the Syd.

Sonja mentioned his Japanese Maple farm at the Syd.
That seems to be a running joke from the day he stepped up to do the senior coaching.

Also he said in that radio interview this week that he’d just done the planting and was setting up watering, so it’s still happening.

That seems to be a running joke from the day he stepped up to do the senior coaching.

Also he said in that radio interview this week that he’d just done the planting and was setting up watering, so it’s still happening.
The man can do it all

Yes, very similar that's why he left, glad he's found the role elsewhere.
I don't know why but when I heard this on the radio this morning, it felt weird to me. Now he takes all the intel he knows from North to Sam Mitchell? That aside, I wish him all the best.

I don't know why but when I heard this on the radio this morning, it felt weird to me. Now he takes all the intel he knows from North to Sam Mitchell? That aside, I wish him all the best.
I felt the same.

My understanding (which may be incorrect) was that Viney wasn't going to be a long term hire, because he didn't want to do it for years and years. So if they really wanted to retain Rats, they could have looked at grooming him into Viney's role before he took it on full time and Viney left.

Good luck Rats. Bit of an f u that he’s going to the Dawks.

Didn’t exactly set the world on fire with his coaching I must say, but was a cool head to have around the media in Clarkos absence.

cant say i really have to much of an issue with him having any access to out "intel" , can see it now, hey Sam how bout re resign a pressure fwd that doesn't kick goals, trade pick 19 to richmond for a statue and neglect our ruck stocks for 5 years, Then Sam retorts, GTFO.

Sure but it happens all the time, Xavier Clarke will bring intel from Richmond to North, AFL is a very small industry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back