Revised top 10 from 2013 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i guess so but they're acting like hawks fans after a three peat. have seen quite a bit of new members posting some utter garbage and i assume they're the facebook trash or the fairweather supporters.

Nail. Head.

Don't classify an entire club's supporter base, or BF user base, on the basis of a few outliers. It can be hard if they're vocal, but the majority of supporters aren't trying to shove it down everyone else's throat.

You didn't see any Man City tops anywhere until a few years ago. I've even seen some Leicester around, but they'll disappear soon. When the dogs are back in the bottom half of the ladder (hopefully not for a few years yet) there will be another correction.

Reputations are made and lost on GF day and big 200cm key Forwards/rucks take time.

for mine Tom Boyd should still be the number 1 draft pick, because if you are picking a player to build a team around then a key forward wins out, talk about exposed form all you want, because boyd's exposed form came on the most important day, they day players are judged higher than any other day.

that all said Bontempelli is a very special player and im not only happy that he is number 1, but that we have boyd as well.

IF Boyd continues on with his great form following his GF day heroics then he will catapult himself into the number one position. However, as of right now he has had barely a handful of quality performances. The others mentioned have clearly been stand out players for longer, which is why I rated them higher... For now.

Macrae is hard as nails. Doesnt get easy possies, he busts a ******* lung for them. There is a reason why his kicking is inaccurate (his kicking skills are his major issue at the moment which shows how hopelessly inaccurate your post is).

Did you feel like sharing your opinion without having any knowledge on the subject? Because it certainly looks that way. You are an idiot.
Not talking about you in particular here, but it's funny how some opposition posters won't recognize that this is also the case with regards to Zach Merrett. Apparently contested possessions are the only ones that matter, or influence a game.

So you would still take a underperforming small forward/midfielder who while could be a B+/A grader in his prime, has not shown anything much to date after his third season, over a player who has not only proved himself but is also regarded as one of the best 20-year olds of all time. The only club on this list who could possibly say that they would not swap their player for the Bont is Carlton with Cripps. With billings, you may rate him and he may be very good eventually, but you have to be having a laugh to take him over Bont all over again.
yeah, I would take him all over again. he's already done special things and had special games and still hasn't played 50 games yet due to injuries playing a part in his career so far. you enjoy yours, I'll enjoy mine. how hard is that to understand

I would welcome any explanation as to why Essendon's list is in the top half in the league.
No reason why Essendon couldn't finish around the 8-10 mark. I assume that's where most reasonably informed football fans would have them finishing.

There are four A-graders on the team in Hurley, Hooker, Heppell and Merrett. Daniher and Watson aren't far behind. Then you have a myriad of young guys who could prove to be B+/A graders within the next 2-3 years. Fantasia, Parish, Langford, Francis, Hartley, Walla, Laverde etc. have all shown signs (some more than others, and I didn't even mention McGrath). On top of that you have the core group of players that were making finals who are now mostly depth players. Surely people can recognize the talent and potential of Essendon's list.

No reason why Essendon couldn't finish around the 8-10 mark. I assume that's where most reasonably informed football fans would have them finishing.

There are four A-graders on the team in Hurley, Hooker, Heppell and Merrett. Daniher and Watson aren't far behind. Then you have a myriad of young guys who could prove to be B+/A graders within the next 2-3 years. Fantasia, Parish, Langford, Francis, Hartley, Walla, Laverde etc. have all shown signs (some more than others, and I didn't even mention McGrath). On top of that you have the core group of players that were making finals who are now mostly depth players. Surely people can recognize the talent and potential of Essendon's list.

Sure, there's no reason why they can't play finals next year. But if we are being honest, Essendon are not a top 8 side on paper. With the players you get back, I think you're probably around the 10-14 mark (and to be honest, you're probably better off finishing lower rather than higher).

Granted, there is some talent on your list. But I would argue that there is talent on every list and every club supporter is singing the praises of his/her team in the same way that Essendon fans are singing theirs. For me, I don't know if a core of Hurley, Hooker, Heppell and Merrett mixed in with a small group of young, unproven AFL footballers elevates you to having a list 'in the top half'. There are some pretty good teams out there.

NB There's also no guarantee that the banned players return as the same players they were before they left.

Sure, there's no reason why they can't play finals next year. But if we are being honest, Essendon are not a top 8 side on paper. With the players you get back, I think you're probably around the 10-14 mark (and to be honest, you're probably better off finishing lower rather than higher).

Granted, there is some talent on your list. But I would argue that there is talent on every list and every club supporter is singing the praises of his/her team in the same way that Essendon fans are singing theirs. For me, I don't know if a core of Hurley, Hooker, Heppell and Merrett mixed in with a small group of young, unproven AFL footballers elevates you to having a list 'in the top half'. There are some pretty good teams out there.

NB There's also no guarantee that the banned players return as the same players they were before they left.
This was the Bulldogs two seasons ago. Players develop quickly and lists change so fast nowadays that you can't readily predict how they'll go.

Had the most impressive break out year from the draft. 3rd best goal tally behind Brown and Sicily with far less opportunities. 2 rising star noms. Can play back, mid and forward. Has all the tools you want for an elite player, just a bit too light is the only drawback. It might pay to watch the lad a bit more.

the obsession is reaching pathetic levels. the Dogs took a risk, and it paid off, and you've got one of the best young kids in the country, yet Dogs fans love talking about Billings

for the record I'd hope we take Billings over Bont all over again. every time. you enjoy yours, we'll enjoy ours

Is this a serious post?
Bont has the potential to be the best player in the game. Billings most certainly does not.

Known Carlton-hater doesn't rate a Carlton player. Literally no one is shocked by this. Lmao

Actually rate many Carlton players. Jesaulenko and Doull would be in my best team I have ever seen. Johnston the best big game player I have seen and Hunter a gun. Cripps is a one dimensional over rated chump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

alright I'm thinking people having reading disabilities so I'm done talking about this
It's not that we can understand what you are saying, not at all. It's just funny how much of a bias you have towards your players. While everyone, myself included feel the need to defend our players, you seem to take it to another level. Why on earth would you take an unproven player who has shown potential to be a B+ grader over a player that is regarded as one of the best 20 year olds of all time and has potential to be the best in the game even before his prime? And what's more, they also play similar positions. Which one would you rather take?

Last edited:

You're dreaming if you think Hooker is an A-grader. Heppell yes, Hurley when he's at his best yes and Merrett is well on his way. Not to forget they've been out of the game for 12 months. They could be as fit as they have been their whole lives but without match conditioning they will struggle for the first couple of months. I think 10-14th is a more realistic finish for the Bombers, I can see them finishing above the 6 teams directly above them in 2016 and MAYBE Port because who knows what's going on over there but that's about it. 2018 would be a much more realistic target for finals.

You're dreaming if you think Hooker is an A-grader. Heppell yes, Hurley when he's at his best yes and Merrett is well on his way. Not to forget they've been out of the game for 12 months. They could be as fit as they have been their whole lives but without match conditioning they will struggle for the first couple of months. I think 10-14th is a more realistic finish for the Bombers, I can see them finishing above the 6 teams directly above them in 2016 and MAYBE Port because who knows what's going on over there but that's about it. 2018 would be a much more realistic target for finals.

You're delusional if you think Hooker isn't.

I suppose when it comes to the argument between Cripps or Merrett being the better player comes down to whether Merrett can replicate his breakout year as much as possible. Not that he didn't have a great couple of seasons in both 2014 and 2015 but this year was when he really shined.

If he can prove in 2017 that this year was no fluke (especially with a number of players returning), then I'm willing to really put him in the same league as Cripps and Bont (who is clearly the best of the three). But without a doubt he had a better season than Cripps this year. Cripps was sort of carrying minor knee issues throughout the entire season.

Right now it goes...
Bontempelli
Cripps
Merrett
Boyd
Kelly
and so on.

This was the Bulldogs two seasons ago. Players develop quickly and lists change so fast nowadays that you can't readily predict how they'll go.

Agree with the sentiment, but I disagree with the inference that 2016 Essendon and 2014 Bulldogs are comparable.

The Bulldogs 2 years ago were not only laying the foundations, but were 3 years deep into a 6-year overhaul/plan based exclusively on getting things right at the draft and developing the best contested ball/inside game in the comp. We traded well, nailed all our picks and complemented it with a significant boost in football department spending.

2 years ago we were the 5th best contested ball side in the comp, 8th for clearances and 8th for tackles - the foundations of this year's Premiership success were well and truly already there. For those same stats in 2016, Essendon were 18th, 17th and 17th, respectively. In 2015, you were 11th, 16th and 12th.

I don't really know a whole heap about what you're doing down there at Bomberland, but from the outside it doesn't look anything like what we were doing by 2014.

Agree with the sentiment, but I disagree with the inference that 2016 Essendon and 2014 Bulldogs are comparable.

The Bulldogs 2 years ago were not only laying the foundations, but were 3 years deep into a 6-year overhaul/plan based exclusively on getting things right at the draft and developing the best contested ball/inside game in the comp. We traded well, nailed all our picks and complemented it with a significant boost in football department spending.

2 years ago we were the 5th best contested ball side in the comp, 8th for clearances and 8th for tackles - the foundations of this year's Premiership success were well and truly already there. For those same stats in 2016, Essendon were 18th, 17th and 17th, respectively. In 2015, you were 11th, 16th and 12th.

I don't really know a whole heap about what you're doing down there at Bomberland, but from the outside it doesn't look anything like what we were doing by 2014.

So you admit you have little to no knowledge of the situation, but you're happy to s**t all over peoples opinions. Keep up the good work champ.

I know who's dreaming.

I wasn't comparing them, merely making light of the fact that most people 2 years ago wouldn't have had the Dogs anywhere near a second Premiership. Some good drafting (which Essendon has been doing) and a good coach in Woosha has the potential to be anything.

So you admit you have little to no knowledge of the situation, but you're happy to s**t all over peoples opinions. Keep up the good work champ.

I should have phrased it like this: "I don't work for the Essendon Football Club therefore I am not privy to the workings inside the brains of the EFC football department". And guess what, mate? Neither are you. You're a spectator like the rest of us (and not much of one from the looks of it). When you get the gig as Director of Football, then you can come back here and parade around like the expert you expect all of us to treat you as.

Make sure you come and let me know when you blokes are playing finals and I'll tell you I was wrong about EFC (make it within the next 5 years, though). I'll be sure to come and remind you when you blokes are battling away in the bottom half.

A lot of people are still criminally underrating Merrett, and I have no idea why. People also seem to forget he was leading Essendon's B&F in 2015 before he went down with injury. And still finished top 3. I bet if he was 190+cms there wouldn't even be a debate.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't like Essendon at all. I just say it how it is. Maybe it's the fact that Merrett's hair looks like a helmet? Shocking head of hair on him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back