Draft Review 2012 - Revisiting the 2012 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this is going to be ridiculously unpopular, but I think Whitfield are Kelly are going to have the same problem over their careers. GWS are so strong on the inside with blokes like Shiel, Coniglio, Ward, Hopper etc that Kelly and Whitfield just rarely get the look in at centre square stoppages. So they just never have the inside game that the elite have, or atleast never get to showcase it.

Like Macrae for example, he attends a fair few of our centre bounces, so he has become an inside/out mid who can do both. The GWS pair just don't get that opportunity. Would be the exact same if Macrae or someone like Zac Merrett (who would be stuck on a forward flank) were drafted to GWS.

Basically see them being compared to the Tom Scully's and Andrew Gaff's of the world instead of the Bontempelli's and Merrett's who get that inside opportunity.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but for picks #1 and #2 it would be nice to see them go inside. No doubt they can do it if they got the chance.

Last edited:
Top 50 isn't elite, Top 20 is. Boyd is a three time AA, twice as a mid and Cross won your B&F in a year you finished 3rd.
i'm not saying they were crap, it's just we valued them high, but the consensus was they were never rated elite. plenty of players win B&F awards but that does not instantly make them elite.

You're seriously underrating Viney here he's got the ability to bust open stoppages with his power and attack on the footy. Cross and Boyd were high level accumulators with no hurt factor.
Maybe some people will think i am under rating him, it's just my thoughts of him at this particular time.

Maybe some people will think i am under rating him, it's just my thoughts of him at this particular time.
Fair enough, I like a few here on here think you're underrating him, but obviously it's your opinion which your absolutely entitled to. I can see why you wouldn't rate him as high as some of us have when you consider him to be "serviceable", as any player I'd consider in that category when doing a re-draft wouldn't be rated highly at all especially as high as no.2.

+1 for Jackson Macrae being underrated. I just rewatched the Hawthorn game; he was unstoppable winning the ball inside & out, picking up 39 disposals in a huge game. Also picked up 33 disposals in the Grand Final.

+1 for Jackson Macrae being underrated. I just rewatched the Hawthorn game; he was unstoppable winning the ball inside & out, picking up 39 disposals in a huge game. Also picked up 33 disposals in the Grand Final.
Everyone has him in their top 5, so I don't think he is being under rated

1. Jack Viney
2. Jack McRae
3. Dane Rampe
4. Lachie Hunter
5. Mason Wood
6. Brodie Grundy
7. Jake Stringer
8. Nathan Hrovat
9. Taylor Garner
10. Tim Membrey

1. Jack Viney
2. Jack McRae
3. Dane Rampe
4. Lachie Hunter
5. Mason Wood
6. Brodie Grundy
7. Jake Stringer
8. Nathan Hrovat
9. Taylor Garner
10. Tim Membrey
o_O

You realise he was recently traded for a swap of third and fourth rounders, and hasn't played a single game since that time to indicate that his value is anything higher than that? Tim Membrey kicked 44 goals in 17 games last year. Hrovat managed 4 very unremarkable games.

I'd be interested to see your argument on that one.

o_O

You realise he was recently traded for a swap of third and fourth rounders, and hasn't played a single game since that time to indicate that his value is anything higher than that? Tim Membrey kicked 44 goals in 17 games last year. Hrovat managed 4 very unremarkable games.

Joe Daniher doesn't even make the top 10 apparently

o_O

What about Lachie Hunter over Joe Daniher? That's OK though?

Hrovat is finally fit and ready to explode and out of all these players, is currently in the best form, having kicked 7 goals in his last 2 games.

I expect him to average 20 + 1.5 from here on, which would put him well up there.

As for Members, the moment he has his tattoos removed, I may take him more seriously.

What about Lachie Hunter over Joe Daniher? That's OK though?

Hrovat is finally fit and ready to explode and out of all these players, is currently in the best form, having kicked 7 goals in his last 2 games.

I expect him to average 20 + 1.5 from here on, which would put him well up there.

As for Members, the moment he has his tattoos removed, I may take him more seriously.
No, Daniher should be clearly ahead of Hunter. There is plenty more which I disagree with in your list too.

Hrovat hasn't kicked a goal in either of his past 2 games. He had 28 touches against Essendon which was a reasonable achievement, and 17 in a losing game to Fremantle before being dropped and subsequently traded. I have absolutely no idea where you are getting the idea that he is currently in the best form of all players from the 2012 draft, even the most one-eyed fan would consider that ridiculous.

And Membrey's tattoos did nothing to get in the the way of him breaking out last year into a very solid player with a strong future ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, Daniher should be clearly ahead of Hunter. There is plenty more which I disagree with in your list too.

Hrovat hasn't kicked a goal in either of his past 2 games. He had 28 touches against Essendon which was a reasonable achievement, and 17 in a losing game to Fremantle before being dropped and subsequently traded. I have absolutely no idea where you are getting the idea that he is currently in the best form of all players from the 2012 draft, even the most one-eyed fan would consider that ridiculous.

And Membrey's tattoos did nothing to get in the the way of him breaking out last year into a very solid player with a strong future ahead of him.

Broke out? Really?

I put him in the same group as Adrian McAdam, Orazio Fantasia and countless others who had one really good season.

If he does it again, then sure, I will have to take him and his palm tree seriously, but right now they were soft goals against rubbish teams in a season that meant nothing.

Hrovat has kicked 7 goals in the last 2 weeks, which clearly suggests he's in great form, under the tutorage of the little master, he is absolutely in the best form of anyone from this draft as I write this.

Daniher can't kick. Like so many before him, there is no point even considering him until he sorts that out. When your team kicks it to you 50% of the time they enter forward 50 and you kick 1 in 2.5 of every chance you get, how many inside 50 entries does your team need in order to score 100 points and win games of footy?

Right now, he is a dead set liability and the only reason they won't make finals.

Broke out? Really?

I put him in the same group as Adrian McAdam, Orazio Fantasia and countless others who had one really good season.

If he does it again, then sure, I will have to take him and his palm tree seriously, but right now they were soft goals against rubbish teams in a season that meant nothing.

Hrovat has kicked 7 goals in the last 2 weeks, which clearly suggests he's in great form, under the tutorage of the little master, he is absolutely in the best form of anyone from this draft as I write this.

Daniher can't kick. Like so many before him, there is no point even considering him until he sorts that out. When your team kicks it to you 50% of the time they enter forward 50 and you kick 1 in 2.5 of every chance you get, how many inside 50 entries does your team need in order to score 100 points and win games of footy?

Right now, he is a dead set liability and the only reason they won't make finals.
Oh we're talking about practice match form? That is utterly ridiculous - you're basing Hrovat's ranking on 2 games featuring a number of Werribee top-ups, rather than his first 30 games of actual AFL where he kicked 14 goals and never really stood out in any of them (except for 1 game 2 years ago where he managed a couple of Brownlow votes). Don't get me wrong, I like Hrovat and honestly wish him all the best at North, but he has not done anything to suggest he was worthy of his original draft position (21), let alone go top 8 if they were to redo his draft 5 years later.

I agree that Daniher has serious issues with his kicking, but if the draft were to be held today, I'd be taking him over Hunter given his huge potential (as good as Hunter looks so far, we got a bargain there).

Broke out? Really?

7 goals in intra-club matches? 4 of these were against a VFL team, hilarious.

Hrovat has kicked 7 goals in the last 2 weeks
, which clearly suggests he's in great form, under the tutorage of the little master, he is absolutely in the best form of anyone from this draft as I write this.

dJv6vsH.jpg

Broke out? Really?

Membery kicks 44 soft goals in 17 meaningless games (of AFL), which means nothing... Yet Hrovat kicks 7 important goals in 2 finals like practice matches against Werribee (VFL), and suddenly he's a much better, proven prospect.
Oh the irony in this post is too much

Membery kicks 44 soft goals in 17 meaningless games (of AFL), which means nothing... Yet Hrovat kicks 7 important goals in 2 finals like practice matches against Werribee (VFL), and suddenly he's a much better, proven prospect.
Oh the irony in this post is too much

Goals against non top 8 teams??????

= 36

Goals against top 8 sides?????

= 8

Look at my username, it's what I do....

First I identify them, then I name them and finally I shame them.

27 of those goals were against Essendon VFL, Melbourne and Carlton.

Goals against non top 8 teams??????

= 36

Goals against top 8 sides?????

= 8

Look at my username, it's what I do....

First I identify them, then I name them and finally I shame them.

27 of those goals were against Essendon VFL, Melbourne and Carlton.
Better add Hrovat to that list amongst Membrey then. Cos he hasn't done jack **** in comparison.

In fact what is more funny, is that you had Taylor Garner in your top 10 ahead of Membrey too.
And he has literally done next to nothing in his career so far.
I thought he might have delisted by now considering how underwhelming he has been.

Last edited:
Better add Hrovat to that list amongst Membrey then. Cos he hasn't done jack **** in comparison.

I'm sorry.... Is that all you've got?

You said his goals weren't meaningless, I just showed you they were.

8 of his 44 goals came against good teams at an average of approx .45 per game.

Membery is a superstar because he kicked 5 against Essendon, yet Hrovat is a spud because he got 28 possessions against the same team. What about his 30 & 1 game against the Swans a year or so ago, does that one count?

In fact what is more funny, is that you had Taylor Garner in your top 10 ahead of Membrey too.
And he has literally done next to nothing in his career so far.
I thought he might have delisted by now considering how underwhelming he has been.

He played 2 games and kicked 1/4 of the goals against top 8 teams as Membery did. What are you on about?

Finals performances are also weighted heavily in all my lists.

What Membery's finals record like?

I'm sorry.... Is that all you've got?

You said his goals weren't meaningless, I just showed you they were.

8 of his 44 goals came against good teams at an average of approx .45 per game.

Membery is a superstar because he kicked 5 against Essendon, yet Hrovat is a spud because he got 28 possessions against the same team. What about his 30 & 1 game against the Swans a year or so ago, does that one count?
An average of 0.45 a game you reckon?
Can you actually do Math properly?
He played 7 games against top 8 teams and kicked 8 goals.
Now I'm no mathematician. But I'm pretty sure that's a goal a game average, not 0.45?

Did anyone at North even kick 44 goals last year??
Yeah.. Didn't think so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back