Analysis Rising Star Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we are over half way through the home and away season, I thought a RS discussion would be a good way to look at some of the great young talent coming through the competition and how our young blokes compare.

I see the two biggest chances at winning the Rising Star award are Doedee and Witherden. Safe to say both defenders have been very impressive in 2018. Doedee has got some good publicity in his debut after having to wait until his third season to play his first senior game for Adelaide and cementing his spot.

Witherden on the other hand has flown a bit under the radar in his second season. He earned his second RS nomination after yet another high disposal, high meters gained performance.

Breaking down the two players' seasons

20180703_163420.jpg
20180703_163434.jpg

Both have some impressive numbers, but for mine you can't look past Witherdens ability to gain a lot of ground and get into positions for switching and take important marks.

Who do you see as a Rising Star contender and how do you see the Doedee/Witho matchup?

Contested possessions, tackles and one percenters are well in Doedees favour. Would indicate he's better defensively which is probably accurate.

Contested possessions, tackles and one percenters are well in Doedees favour. Would indicate he's better defensively which is probably accurate.

Agreed, Doedee is the better 1v1 defender. Also worth noting there is a 1.5 year age gap so I think that plays a small factor. Witherden cuts him up on the outside and playmaking though.

Stephenson gets for mine given the manner in which the media is fawning over him, justified or otherwise.

I think he deserves to win but he hasn't had as good a season as Hogan did when he won it and I think Collingwood fans are getting ahead of themselves expecting he'll be a gun midfielder.

I don't think a half back flanker who gets a tonne of cheap touches should win.

Stephenson has been a level above IMO. Bookies have him at $1.70 to win which is very short given there is still a fair bit of the season left.

There's no doubting he's a super talent, but imo his great return this year is more to do with the blokes around him then his own efforts. That's not to take away from what's been a great season, but how would he have gone in the Lions this year? Alternatively, how would a guy like Rayner have gone at the Pies?

There's no doubting he's a super talent, but imo his great return this year is more to do with the blokes around him then his own efforts. That's not to take away from what's been a great season, but how would he have gone in the Lions this year? Alternatively, how would a guy like Rayner have gone at the Pies?
Not sure that’s factored into the award.

If that’s your argument against Stephenson... You could easily go and start another argument that Witherden only has those stats because we’re a lowly ranked team and the ball spends a lot of time in our defensive 50.

If anything, I’d suggest it’s an advantage that a skinny first year playing is comfortably holding his spot in the team ranked 2nd on the ladder.

Also, I watch him every week. Genuinely deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure that’s factored into the award.

Not saying it is, was more discussing his performance factoring in playing for a high ranked team.

Pretty crazy he's kicked 24 goals so far and only in his first year nonetheless.

Not saying it is, was more discussing his performance factoring in playing for a high ranked team.

Pretty crazy he's kicked 24 goals so far and only in his first year nonetheless.

Hogan kicked 44 in 20 games in his first season (second on an AFL list) but that was playing for a team that only won 7 games.

Stephenson and Jack Higgins have held their spots in the top two teams and have been terrific. Ed Richards at the dogs has also been great. Richards the smokey for me.
Bruceeeee loves Richards and thinks he is s monty

Stephensen at the moment. I really rate Ed Richards. The kid has come from the clouds.
Even more so than Clayton Oliver before him. Played only one year at the Chargers and had an injury early on. Watched a fair bit of the Chargers and saw this fast and skilful redhead kid running around in the back pocket at Ikon and had to ask someone who he was. Went from strength to strength. Well done to the Dogs for spotting his potential.

On performance to date I'd go

Stephenson
Doedee
Witherden
Florent
Richards

But by the end of the season I think it'll be

Stephenson
Florent
Doedee
Richards
Witherden

I scratch my head a bit at the rising star discussion articles I've read that don't even mention Witherden.

But it's academic really, because Stephenson will win unless something changes dramatically. There's always been some randomness in the rising star votes below the first two or three, so it's probably not worth us worrying about how Witherden polls.

I scratch my head a bit at the rising star discussion articles I've read that don't even mention Witherden.

But it's academic really, because Stephenson will win unless something changes dramatically. There's always been some randomness in the rising star votes below the first two or three, so it's probably not worth us worrying about how Witherden polls.
Really can't see Witherden getting near the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back