Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d take a chance on Kemp in the backline and use Jones to give TDK a chop out in the ruck.

Height in the forward line is going to be a definite issue this week. We have struggled without Casboult being able to support McKay, injured or otherwise. Add our entries being long to McKay, it will be interesting to see if our coaches have a different approach entering into our f50. I’d like to see Cripps play more forward and swapping with Kennedy.
JSoS needs to do better then last week.

Ps. Might also be the week JSOS plays back at some time and we swap Jones forward, depending on game progress.

Why would you have Newman as an out, again, given Parks is out and Plow could be underdone.

And if Plow is out, why would you have Doc as a backmen over Newman, given Doc has been so bad this year as a defender, they had to move him to a wing?

And, why are you still picking Murphy, again, when he refuses to run 2 ways and is a defensive liability

Overall, why do you always have the same players as ins and outs, again, all year
I asked you to account for your viewpoint with something resembling a player critique, and because I rightly gave you the middle finger for yet another post of "nEwMan WiLL pLaY", which you do several times a week.

Why in the world do you expect me to dignify your constant deflection of the most basic of questioning with answer your series of questions laced with loaded statements.

I very much like Jim as a poster but he's possibly the strongest argument for the power of confirmation bias in the known universe. :p
That's a bit of an ironic statement, both in your assessment, and in the context of arr0w's post.

If Plow is underdone, he shouldn't play. We shouldn't be selecting a 7th defender, or 5th small/medium defender to cover for an underdone player.

I haven't been enamored with Newman since he came back. He kicks well but seldom has the time to make that count enough. He has a bit of agro which is nice but he's painfully slow and gets caught out of position. I do consider him and Plow to be playing for the same spot long term. If Newman gets back to his rebounding best where he is kicking goals Zach Tuohy style, well and good. He's not back to his best though and he's more a weapon when our defence is settled ... IMO of course.

The one hope I have for Murphy is that his experienced allows him to be able to direct traffic. If there is one thing he is still good at, it is making position up the line and picking sound options inside 50. As it turns out, he wasn't quite the problem it seemed he was, because the confusion and lack of defensive effort is still there without him.
This mirrors a lot of my thoughts, but I don't see Newman getting another contract, nor do I set the bar at him scoring a goal at the other end, because that historical best still delivered the same defensive effort (often worse). We've also got some decisions to make with Williamson and Marchbank at the end of 2022.

Newman will play unless Marchbank has been hitting the roids and repaired his knee 10 months ahead of schedule or whatever

Anyways I like
Honey replacing Fisher.
Plowman for Parks.
Move Docherty Back and Walsh to the wing. SPS onball to replace Newman.
Pittonet for Murphy and Murphy can play hff and rotate mid with SPS. If he can show the same tackling intent in his VFL game.

So, you have been critical of Doc all year, yet now compared to Newman, you believe Doc can go back to the backline and recapture his form?

Doc has been one of our worst offenders in the backline, where he had to be moved to a wing

Then you talk about the future, then have Murphy ahead of Newman?

Perhaps rather than having the same debate, with the same posters constantly calling for the likes of Newman to be an out, we should wait for the final teams and then discuss it
I think newmans been worse than docherty and neither Newman or Murphy should be talked about as part of Carlton's long term futures.

We’ve got Newman, Doc, Saad and Williams. They all play differently, but are all half-backs that prefer attack to defence. They all play loose.

Doc has always played loose, just that when Daisy and Simmo played alongside him our backline was far tighter which allowed Doc more latitude. Saad, Williams and Newman don’t ‘mix’ defence and attack as well as Daisy and Simmo who generally worked harder (despite their ages).

Reckon we can only afford to play 2 of Saad, Williams, doc and Newman. One issue though is I’m not sure who in the reserves plays tight. We’ve tried Ed down back but that shouldn’t have happened. Unless we get one or 2 lockdown defenders we’re going to remain exposed.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I asked you to account for your viewpoint with something resembling a player critique, and because I rightly gave you the middle finger for yet another post of "nEwMan WiLL pLaY", which you do several times a week.

Why in the world do you expect me to dignify your constant deflection of the most basic of questioning with answer your series of questions laced with loaded statements.

So now I have to prepare a player critique to respond to your bias views on ins and outs?

Several times a week? Look forward to you trying to find those Jim

So next year when he drops to 400-450k or whatever it is, are you going to judge him against that figure?
I pose this question to you, If we were to delist J.Martin at the end of the year, do you think there would be many lining up to sign him? I wouldn't have thought so. I doubt he would even get a go in the current GC team.

Teague had a real opportunity to prove a point at selection this week by dropping some "conditional" footballers but has missed the mark incredibly, instead he has dropped a poor 5th gamer in Parks. All those guys who have been criticized during the week and their lack of effort pointed out would want to change things real quick, otherwise the heat will only intensify on their efforts.

Height in the forward line is going to be a definite issue this week. We have struggled without Casboult being able to support McKay, injured or otherwise. Add our entries being long to McKay, it will be interesting to see if our coaches have a different approach entering into our f50. I’d like to see Cripps play more forward and swapping with Kennedy.
JSoS needs to do better then last week.

Ps. Might also be the week JSOS plays back at some time and we swap Jones forward, depending on game progress.

JSOS will need to play as the CHF like last week, will get the second best defender and Carlton fans will be telling us he isn’t best 22 next week after he doesn’t have his normal impact.. you can take that to the bank.

Anyways I like
Honey replacing Fisher.
Plowman for Parks.
Move Docherty Back and Walsh to the wing. SPS onball to replace Newman.
Pittonet for Murphy and Murphy can play hff and rotate mid with SPS. If he can show the same tackling intent in his VFL game.

People have been calling for Walsh to go back to the wing all year.. I don’t get it, he is currently our best player, would be leading our bnf and is developing into one of the best midfielders in the comp..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have been calling for Walsh to go back to the wing all year.. I don’t get it, he is currently our best player, would be leading our bnf and is developing into one of the best midfielders in the comp..

It's about what is best for the team, not the individual. Since Walsh has been played more as a centre bounce/stoppage mid, we have lost a fair bit of 2 way running and overlap

Call me crazy but I’d like to see LOB get a run on the wing….you know that position on the ground that we don’t utilise

Cottrell gets bagged every week for his poor skill level but runs 15km a week. Some 2 way running and defensive mindset wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing….I doubt they would play both

SPS and Honey a no brainer…..Murphy makes a perfect sub….we are not playing finals and we need to know what we have in these kids

Final bench
SPS, LOB, Honey, Fog
Murphy Sub

Newman, Cottrell, Newnes, emergencies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pose this question to you, If we were to delist J.Martin at the end of the year, do you think there would be many lining up to sign him? I wouldn't have thought so. I doubt he would even get a go in the current GC team.

Teague had a real opportunity to prove a point at selection this week by dropping some "conditional" footballers but has missed the mark incredibly, instead he has dropped a poor 5th gamer in Parks. All those guys who have been criticized during the week and their lack of effort pointed out would want to change things real quick, otherwise the heat will only intensify on their efforts.
Martin is unfit. He was rushed back after his injury. He shouldn’t be in the team, but that’s nothing to do with being conditional.
Of course other clubs would pick him up, don’t be ridiculous.

Who would you have brought in for Gov last year?
No, it is about setting a higher standard & improving the expectation and culture within the environment, in a business environment if you are earning the big $ the expectations become higher, no different here, we have invested in these guys McGovern/Martin/Williams and they should be leaders in terms of work ethic/standards etc, that does seem evident at all if we are quite honest on these matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back