Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the calls to drop Docherty are misplaced angst. He hasn't been great as of late, sure - but he is hardly in the bottom 4 contributors.

For mine:
IN:
Plowman, SPS, Honey, LOB

OUT:
Parks, Fogarty, Martin, Curnow

SUB:
Out: Newnes
In: Murphy

BACKS:
Plowman (Parks), Jones, Newman
Williams, Weitering, Saad

CENTER:
Walsh, Kennedy, Docherty

FORWARDS:
Owies, Silvagni, SPS (Martin)
Betts, McKay, Fisher

FOLL:
TDK, Cripps, Stocker

INT:
Dow, Honey (Fogarty), LOB (Curnow), Pittonet

Thoughts? LOB, I have been a huge advocate for - however, his late form doesn't warrant a call-up.. I do still believe he deserves at least a four game block to prove his worth prior to season end. Everyone else, I think undoubtedly deserves their position in the side. Martin is seriously struggling. Parks might just need one more pre-season, essentially Plowman comes in for him. Stocker moves up the field to on-ball. Docherty can take the backline position when they need a rest. Honey deserves a shot and Fogarty is struggling too.

I think the calls to drop Docherty are misplaced angst. He hasn't been great as of late, sure - but he is hardly in the bottom 4 contributors.

For mine:
IN:
Plowman, SPS, Honey, LOB

OUT:
Parks, Fogarty, Martin, Curnow

SUB:
Out: Newnes
In: Murphy

BACKS:
Plowman (Parks), Jones, Newman
Williams, Weitering, Saad

CENTER:
Walsh, Kennedy, Docherty

FORWARDS:
Owies, Silvagni, SPS (Martin)
Betts, McKay, Fisher

FOLL:
TDK, Cripps, Stocker

INT:
Dow, Honey (Fogarty), LOB (Curnow), Pittonet

Thoughts? LOB, I have been a huge advocate for - however, his late form doesn't warrant a call-up.. I do still believe he deserves at least a four game block to prove his worth prior to season end. Everyone else, I think undoubtedly deserves their position in the side. Martin is seriously struggling. Parks might just need one more pre-season, essentially Plowman comes in for him. Stocker moves up the field to on-ball. Docherty can take the backline position when they need a rest. Honey deserves a shot and Fogarty is struggling too.
I’m trying so very hard to see it with LOB but he was so average in Port game, can’t see him being called up off the back of that. For a mid, how many AFL or VFL games has he had with 25 plus touches?

Nothing has changed for me in regards to selection, from the start of the year.

Pick the side, purely on output, apart from players that won't be around next year

Unfortunately that includes Betts, Murphy

If Ed isn't going to be used as a dedicated onballer/tagger, then pointless having him in the side

Levi is also in this category, but for me is the lesser of 2 evils when comparing him to Pitto. When OMac is ready to come back, play him as the chopout to TDK.

Nothing has changed for me in regards to selection, from the start of the year.

Pick the side, purely on output, apart from players that won't be around next year

Unfortunately that includes Betts, Murphy

If Ed isn't going to be used as a dedicated onballer/tagger, then pointless having him in the side

Levi is also in this category, but for me is the lesser of 2 evils when comparing him to Pitto. When OMac is ready to come back, play him as the chopout to TDK.

Spot on - sounds like Levi did ok in the magoos and id rather TDK ruck majority with Levi backup than Pitto play - he adds zero.

Agree with Ed, if he isnt on ball//tagging role then he doesnt play. They've tried him elsewhere a number of times and it never works. To me, with the effort he puts in and his ability to get the ball when in there, he needs to play in his mid/tagger role - we are lacking effort and he is one who will give it 100% of the time.

FB: Plowman, Jones, Saad
HB: Williams, Weitering, Stocker

FOL: De Koning, Kennedy, SPS
C: Walsh, Cripps, Ramsay*

HF: Silvagni, Casboult, Fisher
FF: Honey, McKay, Owies

INT: Docherty, Dow, Carroll*, Fogarty

SUB: O'Brien

EMG: Kemp, Williamson, Durdin

I’m trying so very hard to see it with LOB but he was so average in Port game, can’t see him being called up off the back of that. For a mid, how many AFL or VFL games has he had with 25 plus touches?
I can't actually argue with you - your points are sound. Some of his early/mid-season VFL form was great. As of late, not so much. I am just desperate for him to get one more crack as an AFL Wingman, because otherwise he's goneskis at season end. Do we reward an average performance after a few good ones? I don't know, logic suggests not..

As far as total disposal numbers, he is yet to have a huge game for sure. It is hard though, as a winger. I would argue you can add a further 5 possessions to a wingers game when playing AFL versus VFL due to total possession counts, game time, pace (of the game) and structures however.

My ideal line-up this week (zero chance) taking into account a number of factors... available players in that position, development, 300 games and to have a look at who is up to it.

FB: Plowman, Jones, Parkes
HB: Williamson, Weitering, Saad

C: LOB, Cripps, SPS

HF: Fisher, Casboult, Honey
F: Owies, Harry, Fogarty

MID: TDK, Walsh, Stocker

INT: Dow Williams Kennedy Murphy

SUB: Carroll/Ramsay

Doc and Betts out call it managed if you have to, although I'd like Doc to play in the reserves. Very harsh on Curnow but I want to see Stocker and SPS around the ball. I'm not opposed to him playing high half forward and covering for Cripps defensively so he can drift forward.

Martin can barely move, do the right thing by him and give him extra time to recover then get some confidence in the reserves.

Murphy comes in, the club HAS to do the right thing by him and he is by no means worse than many other options.

Teague needed to make tactical changes during the bye, that has given me a lot less confidence moving forward with him.

The one major tactical change I'd love to see is moving the ball a lot slower out of defence. Take ground through uncontested marks until you are in range to launch into the forward 50, that's when you have the likes of Saad getting handball receives and bouncing not in the back pocket. The slower and precise ball movement will hopefully allow time to set up behind the ball.

When we don't have control, make it a contest, lock the game down through repeated stoppages. Teague needs to flip the script even though it goes against what he sold to the likes of Saad and Williams and the playing group in general.

TBH the group looks cooked.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last two weeks Carlton's pressure has been below VFL level. I said after the WCE game they seemed shocked by it, but GWS clearly expected it and had a nice training run of a game.

Not sure if I want to go to this game and see what the hell has gone wrong, or stay as far away as possible. Is it even possible to get tickets for this game?

Hi all,
Excuse the intrusion, what is the reason for Dow getting such low TOG?
63% is staggering low and I thought the word was that he had really improved his endurance over the off-season.
There were times I thought he didn't work hard enough to get to the contest, but his tackle and pressure act numbers were actually pretty reasonable, especially considering the low TOG, and he was OK clearance-wise, and he did some good things in the third quarter surge.
Can't figure out the strategy.
Nor can we. Stop making sense!

The last two weeks Carlton's pressure has been below VFL level. I said after the WCE game they seemed shocked by it, but GWS clearly expected it and had a nice training run of a game.

Not sure if I want to go to this game and see what the hell has gone wrong, or stay as far away as possible. Is it even possible to get tickets for this game?
GWS is one team that will tear you apart if you apply no pressure. They go Globetrotter style football. A tough game with pressure and players like Whitfield, Kelly and Finlayson go to water -see 2019 GF

Weitering was coming at it from the opposite direction and a similar distance. He didn’t want to run headfirst into his teammate fighting for the same ball. It looked shocking. Dow, like much of the team is lacking confidence.
There’s talent there though. He’s got great hands, can win the contested ball, has that burst. We need to persist.
Amazing isn't it. A bloke who could have gone pick 1 in his draft that was touted as a ready to go mid. A few years and the hands of our coaches and he is 2nd guessing competing for a ground ball. I absolutely rate Dow, our coaches have destroyed his confidence.
For a club that has as many early picks as it has to be in a position that it is, nothing short of a failure. The lack of development, and I've said this before, of Dow, LOB and SPS just beggards belief. To the "independant review" start by talking to these 3 guys and work back to the coaches that have been working closely with them. They need to go ASAP.

Teague's response to system failures seems to be to double down. As it was with picking injured players, double down and keep them in the team out of stubbornness and refusal to back down from a mistake.

If so, that's like my 9 years old: if at first you don't succeed, try the same thing with more force until it works.
Needless to say with that MO, she's broken quite a few toys over the journey.

GWS is one team that will tear you apart if you apply no pressure. They go Globetrotter style football. A tough game with pressure and players like Whitfield, Kelly and Finlayson go to water -see 2019 GF
Any team would tear us apart if we keep applying that level of pressure

LOL, I regularly refer to them as the “Harlem Globetrotters” of the AFL, they loved the lack of pressure the other night as it bought their party tricks into play. Hence why this was our largest losing margin of the year.

If you're going to be bad you may as well be young. Betts, Casboult, Murphy, Curnow only play if we have absolutely no one.

We have young guys showing a bit.

Fogarty was better than Betts V GWS. Just look at the stats. Honey and Ramsay play, they absolutely must come in. Stocker must go into the middle. I'd give Carroll a go soon, he's been good. When Kemp I'd fit he has to play.

What ever we do we're going to be poor so play the young guys.

This is a 50/50 game. Lose it and we should play the remainder of the season without Murphy, Casboult, Curnow and Betts. Go full playing for the future mode. Get the young blokes in and give them key roles, sink or swim. IMO we should be pretty much doing this now however we have injuries.

B Plowman Jones Newman
HB Williams Weitering Saad
C Docherty Cripps Walsh
HF Fisher Silvagni Honey
F Owies Mckay Martin

R TDK Dow Stocker
Int SPS Kennedy Curnow Fogarty

In Plowman SPS Honey
Out Pittonet Betts Parks

Harry/ Cripps/ Silvagni can give TDK a chop out. Cant afford to have both TDK and Pittonet in the team, and it is time to move past Cas.

Get Honey in for Betts.

Give SPS, Stocker, Kennedy, Dow, Fogarty decent midfield minutes, and play them for the remainder of the year. We got to work out our midfield of the future. Carroll to be given some midfield time once he has some more form in the 2's. Should be replacing Curnow shortly.

Get our players playing in the right position. They need to learn there roles, ffs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back