Preview RND 20 - Carlton v St Kilda, Friday 30th July 7:50 PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #222

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's good to have curnow come back with McKay and Silvagni in the side, should slide in comfortably. Just don't expect him to be a world beater just yet.

Honey a good selection. Finally. O'Brien, not sure what role or what form got him there but it feels like a let's have one last look thing here. Ramsay would have been the obvious one to pick over him but we're just hopeless at reading and selecting players. Hopeless coach has some stupid reason for not selecting him, can't see the forest for the trees most of the time.

Are we a chance to win? I think so but we're underdogs. Saints can let you down as easily as we can but have a history of getting up for us.

Hoping to watch the first quarter before I have a dinner booking at 8:15pm. Usually I donā€™t like to spoil the result before getting to watch the replay. But figure Iā€™ll have to to find out if Charlie makes it through unscathed!

The footy gods have shat all over Carlton for my entire Blues supporting life (started supporting in 1996 - go figure). Please please please let Charlie have a good run tonight

Iā€™ve got faith heā€™ll make it through. I even heard Cunnington was so keen to see Charlie play well, he gave his left nut for him to not get injured. (Too soon?)

Ok now for the serious footy analysisā€¦ I think their midfield will easily walk through ours, but Iā€™m hoping our back 7 watched last weeks vision enough times that they never ever bring that standard again. If our defence can hold out, I think weā€™ll be able to transition quite well, especially with LOBā€™s kicking and Charlie coming up the wings. Love it when he receives 70m from goal and bangs it deep i50. LOB likely lining up on a 12th gamer as well, so has even more reason to deliver. Then letā€™s see if Honey can also add something special to our midfield/forward connection. Their defence is solid but nothing special so thinking we get a fair amount of scoring shots again, just need to put through the big sticks than the little sticks this time. Also donā€™t want to see Harry just playing for frees and relying on height, needs to work hard and lead. Then with all that Yoda & Luke style training that Eddie & Owies have been doing, surely heā€™s a chance to get back into a bit of form and slot a couple in Edā€™s absence.

Itā€™s still before 7am, so possibly a bit groggy posting this, I think my shopping list at Carlton supermarket is long enough. But Iā€™m hoping tonightā€™s one of those games where it clicks and we get rewarded for playing some youth.

Go blues

Iā€™m hoping we finally look dangerous going forward (for once). I know a lot of it has to do with the awful entries - weā€™re a quantity over quality team - but having the right personnel has got to help, right?

2 quality talls, 2 medium forwards (JSOS and Martin) and Betts, Owies, Fisher and Honey at ground level - I know the excuse might be that they havenā€™t played together, but that line-up gives me some hope.

I also feel a lot more comfortable about Silvagni heading into the ruck knowing it wonā€™t strip the forward line of half its height.

Think I would feel a lot more comfortable tonight if Charlie was wearing a Kouta style enormous knee brace šŸ˜‚

Might go to church today for the first time since my catholic education days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210730-090324_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-090324_Photos.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 126

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good to have curnow come back with McKay and Silvagni in the side, should slide in comfortably. Just don't expect him to be a world beater just yet.

Honey a good selection. Finally. O'Brien, not sure what role or what form got him there but it feels like a let's have one last look thing here. Ramsay would have been the obvious one to pick over him but we're just hopeless at reading and selecting players. Hopeless coach has some stupid reason for not selecting him, can't see the forest for the trees most of the time.

Are we a chance to win? I think so but we're underdogs. Saints can let you down as easily as we can but have a history of getting up for us.
Based on form and upside I would also have preferred Ramsay over LOB, but I suspect we see it in Ramsay long term, playing LOB, maybe until seasonā€™s end, will just sort out whether we see him in Navy Blue long term

Was resigned to getting flogged at the start of the week but starting to hope, more than anything, that there might be a bit of a ā€œbacks to the wallā€ vibe about this game. Will be interesting to see if we turn up!

IMO, this is the best 22 the club has fielded all year. I would make SPS the medical sub. I donā€™t want Kemp debuting as a sub, he deserves his debut to come in the 22.

As always after a bad loss all I've been thinking all week that we will lose badly, but (as always) the closer to game time the more I think we're a chance. The team selections were a good start for a change. Firstly good luck to Charlie. I do trust the club enough to think they've managed this appropriately and he's ready to go. I don't have huge expectation rather I just want him to show some good signs and get through the next four weeks playing with Harry (and Gov maybe in the next week or two) so he's got something to build on going to in 2022. Also rapt for Honey and LOB getting their chance and I hope they get a chance to show something over the next few weeks. Again I'm not expecting miracles just a good solid showing, i.e. Honey hitting the scoreboard and showing some defensive intent, LOB using the ball well and running hard and smart without the ball.

I expect we will see more sustained intent from the players this week as sadly it still seems to take a poor performance to get a response which is part of the problem really. That said I'm not sure its going to be enough against the Saints as I think their ruck division will give their midfield first use for most of the game in particular when TDK needs a rest. I am particularly interested to see how Fisher goes as I suspect he is close to getting dropped and really needs to start showing something on a more consistent basis otherwise he could easily end up on the trade table at the end of the season. It'll also be interesting to see how Weitering responds against King (who's up and about at the moment) after his flogging last week as it will tell me a lot about whether or not he has real captaincy qualities. Hopefully Martin, Dow and Kennedy can continue to build on their recent improved form also so they've got some momentum to take into the preseason as 2022 looms as a massively important season for the three of them.

There's also a lot of interest in how those not selected go, in particular how Samo responds as the remainder of the football year will have a direct impact on whether he's still at the club next year. He is very much at the cross roads at the minute. I'd also be interested to see how Murphy goes in the 2's if he's not the sub (although I suspect he will be the sub). Also Kemp and Ramsay in particular to see if they can knock the door down for a game next week, and Gov getting some match touch so he can get a run in the 1's for the last few games playing alongside Charlie and Harry. As always a massively important weekend for the club. Go Baggers!

As always after a bad loss all I've been thinking all week that we will lose badly, but (as always) the closer to game time the more I think we're a chance. The team selections were a good start for a change. Firstly good luck to Charlie. I do trust the club enough to think they've managed this appropriately and he's ready to go. I don't have huge expectation rather I just want him to show some good signs and get through the next four weeks playing with Harry (and Gov maybe in the next week or two) so he's got something to build on going to in 2022. Also rapt for Honey and LOB getting their chance and I hope they get a chance to show something over the next few weeks. Again I'm not expecting miracles just a good solid showing, i.e. Honey hitting the scoreboard and showing some defensive intent, LOB using the ball well and running hard and smart without the ball.

I expect we will see more sustained intent from the players this week as sadly it still seems to take a poor performance to get a response which is part of the problem really. That said I'm not sure its going to be enough against the Saints as I think their ruck division will give their midfield first use for most of the game in particular when TDK needs a rest. I am particularly interested to see how Fisher goes as I suspect he is close to getting dropped and really needs to start showing something on a more consistent basis otherwise he could easily end up on the trade table at the end of the season. It'll also be interesting to see how Weitering responds against King (who's up and about at the moment) after his flogging last week as it will tell me a lot about whether or not he has real captaincy qualities. Hopefully Martin, Dow and Kennedy can continue to build on their recent improved form also so they've got some momentum to take into the preseason as 2022 looms as a massively important season for the three of them.

There's also a lot of interest in how those not selected go, in particular how Samo responds as the remainder of the football year will have a direct impact on whether he's still at the club next year. He is very much at the cross roads at the minute. I'd also be interested to see how Murphy goes in the 2's if he's not the sub (although I suspect he will be the sub). Also Kemp and Ramsay in particular to see if they can knock the door down for a game next week, and Gov getting some match touch so he can get a run in the 1's for the last few games playing alongside Charlie and Harry. As always a massively important weekend for the club. Go Baggers!
I would take Charlie on the ground with crutches ahead of McGovern. Worst recruit since Kristian Jaksch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back