Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton v Port Sunday 19th July 1.05PM @ the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some mouthwatering match ups this week , none more so than the soon to be AA fullback vs Dixon
Williamson looked shot but "endured" Murphy also doubtful.
Fisher and Philp the ins

No Ebert for Port but Duursma may be back.
All up, Port are faring very well on the injury front. They haven't an injury of any real consequence. It really helps..
Even though they wouldn't be in line for senior selection, it would be good if Marchbank, Dow, Macreadie and JSilvagni are back playing in some sort of fashion.

Teague won't want to flip this side about too much, but I'd be pretty happy should Fisher make his way in.
I feel we're somewhat more dangerous when he's up and about.

Port are quite even around the ground right now. No huge strengths and no obvious weaknesses.....just a good cohesive unit, like we were last night.
If we bring the same game as per The Dogs, this could be quite an exciting game.

Task for the coaches is backing it up. It's completely one thing to belt around a side you like playing against - apparently, all our scores over 100 for the last however long have been against the Dogs - but it's completely another to take it up to a contender over 4 terms.

A few years back, Charlie Dixon taught Jacob Weitering a footy lesson, and was quite in his face about it. I'd love to see him Weitering go to him and sit on him all game, keeping him down.

I despise Port Adelaide. Let's see how we go.

I'd have Jones on Dixon personally, but if Weiters can do the job on Hawkins he can handle Dixon (though Dixon is taller with a bigger reach).

No Ebert for Port but Duursma may be back.
All up, Port are faring very well on the injury front. They haven't an injury of any real consequence. It really helps..
Even though they wouldn't be in line for senior selection, it would be good if Marchbank, Dow, Macreadie and JSilvagni are back playing in some sort of fashion.

Teague won't want to flip this side about too much, but I'd be pretty happy should Fisher make his way in.
I feel we're somewhat more dangerous when he's up and about.

Port are quite even around the ground right now. No huge strengths and no obvious weaknesses.....just a good cohesive unit, like we were last night.
If we bring the same game as per The Dogs, this could be quite an exciting game.

Probably a 40/60 game their way IMO...as you said they are doing well on the injury front. They are also top of the ladder and just beat GWS so they should be favourites. But yeah, we know we can beat anyone if we bring our intensity like last night so who knows what will happen.

Very happy Ebert is out though he's the kind of guy who gives us trouble. Hopefully Duursma stays out too.

Port aren't a particularly quick team through the middle but have some big bodies in Boak/Wines/SPP...and Rockliff if he plays. But that suits our mids too Cripps/Curnow/Setterfield/Kennedy. That midfield battle, plus two strong, old fashioned rucks in Lycett & Pittonet will be an intriguing.

They got some weapons up forward but Dixon & Rozee are still probably the ones we'd want to keep down. If they get their tails up they can be hard to stop.

When i look at our forward line against any back line I see it as our main strength and where we can get an edge on our opponents. No defence can contain our forward group if we're on song like last night. Too many weapons and too much X-factor.

Probably a 40/60 game their way IMO...as you said they are doing well on the injury front. They are also top of the ladder and just beat GWS so they should be favourites. But yeah, we know we can beat anyone if we bring our intensity like last night so who knows what will happen.

Very happy Ebert is out though he's the kind of guy who gives us trouble. Hopefully Duursma stays out too.

Port aren't a particularly quick team through the middle but have some big bodies in Boak/Wines/SPP...and Rockliff if he plays. But that suits our mids too Cripps/Curnow/Setterfield/Kennedy. That midfield battle, plus two strong, old fashioned rucks in Lycett & Pittonet will be an intriguing.

They got some weapons up forward but Dixon & Rozee are still probably the ones we'd want to keep down. If they get their tails up they can be hard to stop.

When i look at our forward line against any back line I see it as our main strength and where we can get an edge on our opponents. No defence can contain our forward group if we're on song like last night. Too many weapons and too much X-factor.
Rozee to get SPS who has been great defensively as they get worried about his run and disposal off half back. Weitering will want Dixon and Jones will get Marshall. Plowman would have got Ebert or Gray but it’s locked into gray now with Ebert suspension. Flog Duursma returns which will be fun for Willo if he gets up from the ankle if not we may get to see Ramsay or Polson come in. I would like to see Polson off half back and make up for that shite debut v port in 2018.

I don't expect we will, but I would be in favor of making subtle changes each week to give as many third year+ players a run as possible.

Can't imagine it would be enjoyable for the guys that are in the hubs, stuck in isolation, and not even getting a game.

We might be forced to anyhow depending on the breaks between games, but I don't think no forced changes is necessarily the way to approach this.

Kennedy and Jones both said in their interviews that they got the news only after the game last night that we were moving to another resort this morning...anyone know where or why? Would it simply be to move closer to the Gabba?

An interesting contrast from rd 2 last year, when we lost IMO because of an undersized midfield. A great test for Setterfield and Kennedy to back up against a good side.

Rozee to get SPS who has been great defensively as they get worried about his run and disposal off half back. Weitering will want Dixon and Jones will get Marshall. Plowman would have got Ebert or Gray but it’s locked into gray now with Ebert suspension. Flog Duursma returns which will be fun for Willo if he gets up from the ankle if not we may get to see Ramsay or Polson come in. I would like to see Polson off half back and make up for that sh*te debut v port in 2018.

Sorry just my opinion, and I may get potted for this, but please not Polson. He is not up to it at this level. Been on our list for 3 or 4 years, and every time has had an error-ridden game to our detriment. Playing him in defence would be a disaster. Don't know why they persist with him on our list.

Kennedy and Jones both said in their interviews that they got the news only after the game last night that we were moving to another resort this morning...anyone know where or why? Would it simply be to move closer to the Gabba?
Probably that, but we're also booking out entire resorts, I'd imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking forward to how we match Dixon and Marshall. Both Jones and Weitering have the latter covered, but Dixon in form is a weapon.

plowman and SPS have big jobs this week on their dangerous smalls.

they’re very, very vulnerable if we get on top in the middle, Casboult and Pittonet need to go hard at Lycett.

we win the stoppage battle, we win the game.

oh and really would love Setterfield to string together two 20 disposal games.

Cuningham for BOG with 28 and 2.

Team selection will be very tough this week.

I want to see Fisher in the side, but don't think we'll make any changes for this one unless forced to do so through injury.

Murphy and Cripps looked very sore. Hope they get up of course but let's see.

Massive test this but equally, a massive opportunity to make a...massive statement. Bring the pressure - particularly early - and anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back