Autopsy Roast/Toast R1 vs Carlton & Changes for R2 vs Port

BOG

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca and Pickett have been playing the wings for years … we have been ridiculously easy to score against via simple ball movement from our F50 for years. These guys provide minimal offensive threat, and they don’t help with stifling ball movement and I rarely see them clogging our defence.

They’ve been great servants, but they are so-so footballers and 32yo and 30yo …. get Banks, Ross, Clarke, Short, Rioli or even Hugo onto the wings .. I don’t care who, but let’s go into 2025 with 2 new faces having established themselves on the wings …. Please !!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Our wingers haven't been offensive threats for years, but they were important in how our team defense was structured. Both Pickett and McIntosh are often back inside D50 to help out in the air and in McIntoshs case being the outlet kick.

As I mentioned last night, if we are to replace them, then lets do so with players that are playing better footy than they are, not just players who are younger. Banks was given an opportunity to start the season and didn't take it and was replaced, Clarke is building some good form at VFL level and should be in the mix, while Ross replaced Banks in the role to start this week.

The problem is Dimma turned Ross into a winger when he was a good inside midfielder who really should’ve just been trained to replace Cotchin in the side.

Instead they slimmed him down fixed his disposal but fried the kids brains.

He clearly has the class to be in the side, but I don’t think he’s good enough to be a winger.

So here in lies the problem. Our future wingers have been average (so far) when given opportunity. So on that you can’t drop Macintosh or Pickett. Your next best option is a kid who dimma decided to * around with.

Where do you go from here?

Selection eh?

I hated that Yze's starting point is pretty much the team from last year. ...so far 4 or so changes each week.

Backline with Gibcus and Young was OK. Grimes, Broad slightly off the pace but Vlas & Rioli are good.

Midfield with TT, JH, Pres and Dow seemed off. But they have played well from the 2nd half of round zero.

Ross, Banks had a crack at wing. Banks didn't keep his spot. Campbell a new face. MRJ is better than last year. Mansell is not.

Baker, Bolton Balta fwd is a work in progress. All do great stuff and then shocking.

Nank, Lynch and Dusty huge INs and we nearly won. shouldda, coulldda.

Miller and Brown/tresize not bad replacements.

Kmac II for Prestia .
Also concerning he opts to start with Hopper, Taranto and Prestia at first bounce. Prestia injury at least means coaching staff don’t need to feel like they have to play all three through midfield the most

The problem is Dimma turned Ross into a winger when he was a good inside midfielder who really should’ve just been trained to replace Cotchin in the side.

He clearly has the class to be in the side, but I don’t think he’s good enough to be a winger.

So here in lies the problem. Our future wingers have been average (so far) when given opportunity. So on that you can’t drop Macintosh or Pickett. Your next best option is a kid who dimma decided to * around with.

Leaving aside best positions I don’t see Dow and Ross as ever being better than C+ players. That is ok in our 2017 team but it’s the As and Bs we have to find more of. Just don’t think we have enough of that potential on our list at the moment. Treading water currently. The transitioning out of Dusty, lynch, grimes, Nank won’t be made up enough by the improvement of any young players on list I don’t think. We are 5 years away minimum.

Our wingers haven't been offensive threats for years, but they were important in how our team defense was structured. Both Pickett and McIntosh are often back inside D50 to help out in the air and in McIntoshs case being the outlet kick.

As I mentioned last night, if we are to replace them, then lets do so with players that are playing better footy than they are, not just players who are younger. Banks was given an opportunity to start the season and didn't take it and was replaced, Clarke is building some good form at VFL level and should be in the mix, while Ross replaced Banks in the role to start this week.

I’d like to see Tom Brown have a go on the wing.

Leaving aside best positions I don’t see Dow and Ross as ever being better than C+ players. That is ok in our 2017 team but it’s the As and Bs we have to find more of. Just don’t think we have enough of that potential on our list at the moment. Treading water currently. The transitioning out of Dusty, lynch, grimes, Nank won’t be made up enough by the improvement of any young players on list I don’t think. We are 5 years away minimum.
I disagree. I think he has some great assets, his handball is his one wood, if it is good now it is only going to get better the more he plays and the more he trusts himself. There were a few on Thursday that were top shelf. He is also very elusive, a great attribute for a mid.

Forget his early years, he only got games because he was a low draft pic, they always get a good look in, on form he did not deserve games back then. 18 months on he is stronger and more mature. Naturally he should mature more and feel more comfortable. He is essentially 5 games into his career, 3 late last season and 2 this year. He has been good overall but for rd.1.

He might never get to the A grade, but I would be surprised if he doesn't go up a few levels from how he played on Thursday.

With Gibcus, Young out and wings looking meh will be pissed off if Brown isn't brought in this week. In: Clarke, McAllife and Miller/ Lefau/ Kozitsche???

I don’t know if we’ll go with Lefau this early in the season, but really like the idea of a forward setup including Lynch, Balta and Lefau.
Lefau and Balta are big and imposing and great ground level players for their size. They can both pinch hit in the midfield, I think it’d work.
Ben Miller, gets his chance. Still major ?? for me, but hope he can maybe show something under a new coach.
Clarke and Brown were excellent in Thursday’s praccy, 2 guys that look to be long term prospects, just play them!

Ins Miller, Lefau, , Brown, Clarke, McAullife
Outs. Gibcus, Young, Prestia, Mansell, Rioli

* not expecting Rioli to be dropped, but rate Campbell and Clarke better long term prospects

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAUliffe

Yep, reward the first infringement. Not sure what Balta could do running owies down from behind as soon as he tackled him ball fell out and owies literally drops his knees and flops and brings Balta down with him, Dumbest umpiring call of the night.
I'd like to highlight this as a very good example of where the umpire could call a 5 sec timeout and consult with the other umps or a video ump to see whether Balta infringed. The AFL have changed the 'runs down from behind rule' this year to stop players being driven into the dirt face first, a dangerous practice. We all know the correct procedure for Balta was to dispossess, but then the correct technique is to roll to the side so you don't get in their back. That's not always possible, but Balta did win the initial free kick, by any definition, the umpire adjudicated that Balta then got in his back and paid that free. It happens a lot. But the side on replay showed that it was momentum that carried them forward and that Balta didn't actually ride him into the ground at all. It's easy to argue, having seen that angle that Balta did everything right in the circumstances. If that's the case it's Baltas free kick and there's no goal. A blatant example of how the incorrect actual decision can impact the game directly on the scoreboard. It can be the difference in a close game or to completely change momentum in a game.

When these things cost a goal, they need getting right. We all know a howler is going to cost a grand final one day.

I would actually try just for shits and giggles Short on one wing & Dan Rioli on the other. Move Baker down back again. Look a lil like below.

B: Grimes Balta Young
HB: Vlaustin Broad Baker
c: D.Rioli Taranto Short
I would make that move in a heartbeat.

In Dimma's first side he probably had 5 eventual premiership players in it... Dusty, Cotch (if he played), JR, Edwards and Rance (I think that's it). 4 first rounders and Edwards was a 2nd? Took 8 years but only 4 to make finals.

If you look at our side now and project forward 4 years to a potential finals appearance, who would our stars be? Taranto would be close to 30, Bolton perhaps, Gibcus should be very very good by then and who else? Arguably Baker, D.Rioli and Balta will be in their prime but we don't have 4 1st round jets as yet. We could fast track our development by cashing in on offers for Bolton/Baker/Lynch but we need some bonafide stars to come in if we wish to build for flag number 14...

In Dimma's first side he probably had 5 eventual premiership players in it... Dusty, Cotch (if he played), JR, Edwards and Rance (I think that's it). 4 first rounders and Edwards was a 2nd? Took 8 years but only 4 to make finals.

If you look at our side now and project forward 4 years to a potential finals appearance, who would our stars be? Taranto would be close to 30, Bolton perhaps, Gibcus should be very very good by then and who else? Arguably Baker, D.Rioli and Balta will be in their prime but we don't have 4 1st round jets as yet. We could fast track our development by cashing in on offers for Bolton/Baker/Lynch but we need some bonafide stars to come in if we wish to build for flag number 14...
we really are in no mans land as for contesting the GF, we can be competitive to a point, but at least now we have the money and formula to have a crack in 10 years

Back