Votes: 59 25.9%
  • Daniel Rioli

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Jack Ross

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a quiet game possession-wise last night, but his 7 tackles speaks for itself - second only to Fridge. Both he and Kmac are a significant advantage as wingmen who can cover the miles, but also play very hard, tough, accountable football 1-on-1 and covering others.

No chance of getting dropped, IMO.
With our current list think they’re our best wing combination. 2 good solid mature bodies and neither would ever take a backwards step. Early this year I though Kmac was on his last legs at our club, but over the last few weeks has been one of our secret weapons and is playing the best footy I’ve seen him play. Glad he’s found his mojo again!

With our current list think they’re our best wing combination. 2 good solid mature bodies and neither would ever take a backwards step. Early this year I though Kmac was on his last legs at our club, but over the last few weeks has been one of our secret weapons and is playing the best footy I’ve seen him play. Glad he’s found his mojo again!

Both invariably end up with advantageous mismatches because there are very few who can run with them all game AND go with them in the physical/contested stuff. It's more obvious against the sides playing younger running types on the wing, but none of the finals sides have two wingers with their brand of physical presence either.

Yeah, I'm glad to see Kmac doing well too, he's a great club man and there are often shades of Tuck/Jackson with him some days when the 'stars' are struggling. Tries his heart out week in week out and often that level of effort can make us much difference as the brilliant stuff when we're not getting the game on our terms.

Based on the side I picked last night I break it down into the following areas:

Backs: Balta Astbury Grimes Vlastuin Houli Short Baker
Settled back 7 with a good understanding of their roles and how they structure up as a unit. Don't see us wanting to make unnecessary changes to this unit,

Mids: Martin Cotchin Edwards Graham Pickett McIntosh Bolton Lambert Prestia
Our most damaging midfield set up which has a perfect mix of ball winning and defensive accountability. Could possibly argue Caddy replaces one of Pickett or McIntosh, but I don't think Caddy is as defensively minded as the other 2 are.

Forwards: Riewoldt Lynch Rioli Castagna
Been our stock set up as a forward unit for 2 years now. Jack & Tom to contest the ball in the air and Rioli Castagna to put the heat on once the ball hits the ground which locks the ball inside 50 or causes rushed clearances from D50 by the opposition setting up repeat entries. Aarts has put the heat on Rioli & George in that small forwards role, but when it come to the crunch I reckon we'll stick with the proven performers.

Rucks: Nankervis Chol
Early in the year we tried to go back to the 2017 set up, but it clearly wasn't good enough and we quickly reverted to the 2 ruck set up. Firstly with Soldo & Chol, then Soldo & Nank. Haven't seen anything that suggests the 1 ruck option is viable as we were well beaten in around the ground stoppages against the bottom placed side when we didn't have a recognised ruck in the contest. Against the other finalists I can't see us trying to get through with just the one ruck as it will simply not work against the better midfield units in the heat of finals footy. Most teams worked out how to beat us in that structure.
Agree with all of this mate. We do need to stick with 2 rucks no matter what. The only hard decision I see us making is Kmac, Pickitt and Cadds. I'd go with Kmac and Pickett if we play the Lions but if we play Port I'd bring in Cadds for size as Port don't have the leg speed to worry us. It's fantastic for us to have such a selection headache. Based on what Sheddas produced I have total confidence if Meatball is declared fit, he will be right to go. Eat Em Alive Tiggies !!

Really loathe to drop Ross. He is going to be such a good player, thought he did well yesterday. Would almost bring Prestia in for Castagna as Rioli is going quite well at the moment. Perhaps he comes in for Caddy. Prestia is going to be underdone, he is different to Edwards in that Edwards was not injured.

Port fans and Crows fans couldn’t be more opposite.
Port fans are great. Feral, passionate and opinionated like just us.
Crows fans follow a plastic club and think the world owes them everything.

Chol played the Lynch role, not the back up ruck role, a role which is much more important to our game plan especially up forward as it stops Jack being double teams and also gives our small forwards a starting point for when the ball enters our F50. When Lynch returns next game we'll need a second ruck especially against Port/Lions who both play 2 genuine rucks. We saw early this year when we tried to use the likes of Broad or McIntosh in the ruck that it just doesn't work. As for Caddy he was quite clearly sore in the rooms at half time when you see the footage and while he played out the game someone needs to make way for when you bring back 3 best 22 types and unfortunately I can see some players in good form missing out.
Its one thing needing a back up ruck, its another thing carrying a guy all game just to give Nank 5 minutes rest.
Chol was a liability last night, he wasn't competing to the standard required or applying enough pressure. Jack/Lynch/Caddy can all pinch hit if needed desperately.

Caddy is best 22 so not sure what you mean.

Chol for Lynch is as simple as it gets for me. The other changes are tricky and someone will be extremely unlucky.

We'll need Balta down back as both Port & Lions have a couple of handy tall forward options as well.

As I said Chol was playing the Lynch role yesterday rather than the second ruck role. When Lynch returns it allows Chol to play a role better suited to him as he'll have a bit more freedom to move up the ground and get involved in the play more. If you look at Chols game yesterday and compare it to Lynchs typical game you'd see that they were quite similar in terms of getting to lots on contests and ensuring that at minimum bringing the ball to ground for the small guys to go to work.

When Lynch returns Chol becomes a mobile 3rd tall option that can stretch the opposition defence by getting up the ground and being an extra tall marking option down the line. As I said last night there will be come unlucky guys missing out next game as 25 doesn't go into 22.
Mate what were you watching yesterday? Haha

Lynch competes and can draw two opponents, Chol did not and his second efforts were none existent. It was a horrible game and if he produced that in a final we would all be pissed. You can't carry players in finals against quality teams.

They had 2 players out Rozee and Ebert. (I'm not including spuds like Motlop and Neade).

We however had 7 out, Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham, Astbury, and Houli
These Port flogs just don't get it, we had our entire midfield out bar dusty and still led at 3 qtr time.
If you consider how bad egg was that day then probably just the inclusion of Houli would have got us over the line. You could also argue that if Cotchin was playing we would have got over the line.
Add Sheds, Astbury, Nank, Graham and Prestia... bring it Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching last nights game I would much prefer to see Ross play than Caddy.

Personally I don’t see either playing though

Id play dusty as ruck in the fwd line, did you see him completely over power their ruck? Lmao was gold and set up a shot at goal

Lynch competes and can draw two opponents, Chol did not and his second efforts were none existent. It was a horrible game and if he produced that in a final we would all be pissed. You can't carry players in finals against quality teams.
100% this.

the pissed campaigners that call into sen on friday and saturday nights are hilarious

there was one carltoon bloke that called in last night that was absolutely blind. could not understand a single word he was saying

the host had to nurse him through the phone call like a little boy who was learning to speak
Hutchy should know better than to ring his own station.

If we win the first final Nank can play 100% game time in the ruck for the remainder of the season.

He's already well rested due to his injury at the beginning of the year and if all goes to plan it's 3 games in 5 weeks anyway.

The thing with Chol is he is naturally a very calm person, by that I mean his field kicking and set shots for goal are great, he plays on his instincts. The bad part is his overall tackling pressure. Someone needs to take him aside at training in the next 2 weeks and just focus on tackling drills and pressure acts. If Cholly had the natural aggression of Lynchy he would be a world beater. That's why Dimma will persist with him because he knows what potential is there. I believe we need to play him regardless as the 2nd ruck in the finals. We only have to look at Pickett as an example of having faith in a players ability and backing them. Dimma is our man to do this.

Its one thing needing a back up ruck, its another thing carrying a guy all game just to give Nank 5 minutes rest.
Chol was a liability last night, he wasn't competing to the standard required or applying enough pressure. Jack/Lynch/Caddy can all pinch hit if needed desperately.

Caddy is best 22 so not sure what you mean.

Chol for Lynch is as simple as it gets for me. The other changes are tricky and someone will be extremely unlucky.
It's not just to give Nank 5 minutes rest it's to provide the same structure that we have used for the second half of the season whether it was Soldo & Chol or Soldo & Nankervis. Would you keep a player 1 disposal 3 tackles & 16 hitouts from 63% of game time?

Yes I was watching yesterday and while Chol didn't draw double teams, he still had Talia not being able to sag off and double Jack. As I said, Chol playing the Lynch role helped us maintain the structure we've had for 2 years that revolves around bringing the ball to ground inside our F50 if we can't mark and letting the smaller guys go to work. That role isn't Chols strong suit, he thrives when given time and space rather than taking big pack marks or splitting packs open

Chols biggest weakness is he is so timid when having to deal with a bigger/stronger opponent that he can't use he's athleticism against, because he just can't stand and wrestle. On the flip side when he is playing as a true second ruck where he can use his athleticism to run around and jump at the ball unimpeded he has a lot of fans raving about him. I'm not one of them because I know he is looking good because he isn't having to deal with being put under direct pressure most of the time.

Despite the lack of aggression from Chol, I'd still be playing him in the first final even if Lynch comes back because he can then go back into his ideal role of being the second ruck/3rd tall forward because he can use his athleticism to greater effect.

Back