Universal Love Robbie Gray appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing effort especially considering the mindf@&kery he would’ve endured with his cancer. What a champion.
Spot on. This point hasn't been mentioned enough... just the sheer character of the bloke.

He's our best player and he's more than earned the right to be our next captain. Got no doubt the lads would run through a brick wall for him if he was wearing the number 1 jumper.

#graypride

Wanganeen
Tredrea
Cornes
Gray

If it wasn't already clear, this guy is one of our all time greats in the AFL era

No disrespect to Wanganeen, but half his career doesn't count towards the PAFC pantheon.

1. Tredrea
2. Robbie

*daylight*

3. Wanganeen
4. Lade

Correct. I don't have Lade at 4 though.

Yeah, there's probably 5 guys you could make a case for. I've always preferred Lade as the best of the rest due to his form pretty much always being very good at a minimum. Super ruckman, a dead-eyed dick as a more than capable forward, etc.

Whereas Chad Cornes at his fleeting peak was one of the best handful of players in the comp, and easily the most versatile superstar along with Goodes, while enjoying a skerick of the recognition as with all our jets.

Yeah, there's probably 5 guys you could make a case for. I've always preferred Lade as the best of the rest due to his form pretty much always being very good at a minimum. Super ruckman, a dead-eyed dick as a more than capable forward, etc.

Whereas Chad Cornes at his fleeting peak was one of the best handful of players in the comp, and easily the most versatile superstar along with Goodes, while enjoying a skerick of the recognition as with all our jets.

#4 for me rotates between Chad and Peter.

#4 for me rotates between Chad and Peter.

I reckon for a top seven:

1. Warren Tredrea
2. Robbie Gray
3. Chad Cornes
4. Peter Burgoyne
5. Gavin Wanganeen
6. Kane Cornes
7. Brendan Lade

Top three pretty easy, the remainder much harder. Particularly the last 2.

1. Warren Tredrea
2. Robbie Gray
3. Chad Cornes
4. Peter Burgoyne
5. Gavin Wanganeen
6. Kane Cornes
7. Brendan Lade

I know 'best' usually means a high standard of performance over a long period of time, but I wouldn't forget Josh Francou who at his brief blazing best won 3 showdown Medals, was all Australian and in consecutive years came 2nd and equal 3rd in the brownlow. Sadly his career after that was cruelled by injuries.

I know 'best' usually means a high standard of performance over a long period of time, but I wouldn't forget Josh Francou who at his brief blazing best won 3 showdown Medals, was all Australian and in consecutive years came 2nd and equal 3rd in the brownlow. Sadly his career after that was cruelled by injuries.

If longevity wasn't a factor, Wanganeen would have been higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No disrespect to Wanganeen, but half his career doesn't count towards the PAFC pantheon.

1. Tredrea
2. Robbie

*daylight*

3. Wanganeen
4. Lade

Why wouldn't Wanganeen count??? Although he played for the Blasters before us, he was there from day one for the Port Adelaide Power and isn't that the point, "who's the best player who has played for the Power?? I understand if he came to us in 99 or something, but he was our Captain from day dot.

1. Warren Tredrea
2. Robbie Gray
3. Chad Cornes
4. Peter Burgoyne
5. Gavin Wanganeen
6. Kane Cornes
7. Brendan Lade

Underrating Wanganeen's time with us IMO. Had a bunch of kids and no names just missing finals in our first year, second in the Brownlow whilst with us (and would have won IMO if we hadn't had Choco parking the bus so often in last quarters, letting opposition players get a 1 or 2 vote in 30-50 point wins that should have been 70-100 point one's). And of course instrumental in our 2004 QF and GF.

Talking Port time only my top 5:
1. Tredrea
2. Gray
3. Wanganeen
4. C. Cornes
5. Primus (absolute s**t coach, but how many players force rule changes because they are too good?)

All who've played for Port in the AFL, across their careers would have Gray and Wanganeen swap in the above.

Why wouldn't Wanganeen count??? Although he played for the Blasters before us, he was there from day one for the Port Adelaide Power and isn't that the point, "who's the best player who has played for the Power?? I understand if he came to us in 99 or something, but he was our Captain from day dot.

I'm not saying he didn't count, I'm just saying he's up against guys who had a qualifying period that's twice as long, which is why all things considered I think he's well behind Tredgray.

Part of me thinks “get your filthy thieving hands off him Clarko” but a tiny part of me thinks “Robbie deserves a chance at a Premiership somewhere”

I thought "Oh look Robbie is talking to Clarko, that's nice."

Paranoia overload up in this s**t.

So glad Robbie got a fourth AA gong.

I sadly feel he'll be overlooked for the player he was just like Tredrea.

He's never polled well in the Brownlow, especially for someone who was a top 3 player in 2014.

His health issues at the start of the year and being a targeted player some weeks, it shows enormous courage and diversity for him to get this honour let alone play this season.

Port Adelaide royalty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back