Movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe that anyone couldn't at least give this a pass mark, only real nitpicks I have are:

Forrest Whitaker stinks, he's actually distracting.
The blind guy is a bit cheesy, I don't mind a fighting character using the force as an idea that much but he's too powerful, especially early on.
It's a bit hard to follow in the first half watching the first time but then again re-watching it it's fine to understand.
No Porkins ha.
CGI Carrie was not too bad the 2nd time, but in the cinema it just seemed a bit jarring and felt off.

It's still a very good film, 8/10.

GG is a dimwit. We all stupider for reading his posts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

TFA just wasn't a space opera at all

Sent from mTalk

Well, it kinda was...similar beats to ANH. Loner teen protagonist gets caught up in a grand conspiracy, joins up with some old legendary figure and a runaway baddie, they get involved in an adventure together, getting shot at and chased across the galaxy, they come across space pirates and weird space monsters, more running and chasing, they go thru drama/tragedy as the old legend dies and civilian planets get destroyed, caught up in a battle, the heroine finds a mythical sword that calls to her and opens her up to a mystical world of force powers, she gets incarcerated, escapes, has a life and death duel at the end with the arch-enemy, she wins, and flees to safety, and ultimately a rendezvous with THE single greatest mystical legend/warrior there is, and the movie ends with this new journey toward a new life about to begin.

The problem with TFA was more it just felt kind of empty, bland. As you initially said, an everyday sci-fi movie with a SW facade painted on. It felt like that. It just didnt feel awe-inspiring, new, wondrous, etc. Too much plagiarizing of ANH didnt help. But even just watching it and taking it for what it is, without comparison to ANH, it still lacked emotion, spunk, genuine humor and adventure. We've seen the exact same story in ANH, so it cheapened the viewing experience. It wasnt some new thing. Like watching a re-run, basically.

That's it basically. Too much ANH. Not a totally new adventure/story. There was a Death Star, a loner teen, all the same beats. So it just didn't add anything to all the struggles and outcome of the OT. All that human struggle and Luke Skywalker invalidated by recreating Luke as Rey, and rehashing the same story. Not advancing the OT story forward at all.

That's why many people were pissed about TFA, because after all those years after ROTJ, all that happened was the same story again. A literal reboot, when it was the LAST THING SW needed or even should've tried to do. Was a waste of a movie, an "episode".

JJ Abrams sucks so much and I hate him more and more.

Like, it was ok to create a Snoke, a Rey and a Ben Solo....that concept of the offspring of the Skywalkers and Kenobi....caught up in old wounds, old battles. But he should never have set all that in the same ANH plot. The concept of the story was ok. But the delivery of that story was a terrible decision.

Rey didn't have to be a Luke clone. Kylo's backstory was fine. Snoke's mystery is ok. It's mainly just the whole Rey angle. And the whole Death Star thing over again.

Rogue One felt like a Star Wars film. TFA felt like a generic sci-fi action flick with a Star Wars paint job.

Sent from mTalk
Disagree, in fact one of the main complaints is that it too closely resembled Star Wars. But it had to do that to wash off the prequel stank. It was fun and familiar, hopefully they can push off into new territory in the sequel. I'm not a big fan of Abrams (he screwed up Star Trek), but he did what needed to be done to pave the way for more films.

TFA just moved, after Jakku, so say, since the falcon came in to it, from scene to scene, set piece to set piece, like vanilla robots, there's no sense of grandeur. They don't even name the places and planets they go to, or what's going on around them. As an audience to it, I only felt really engaged in the Han - Kylo part. As an entry in the main saga, it has a responsibility to do that.

R1 really instilled a sense of amazement and wonder, and a sense of scale, even though it was a more bleak and personal tone of a film, a stand alone feature.

The story of the films are irrelevant. They were presented differently. I think JJ actually managed it better with the Star Treks strangely enough.

Sent from mTalk

Disagree, in fact one of the main complaints is that it too closely resembled Star Wars. But it had to do that to wash off the prequel stank. It was fun and familiar, hopefully they can push off into new territory in the sequel. I'm not a big fan of Abrams (he screwed up Star Trek), but he did what needed to be done to pave the way for more films.

The prequel stink didn't need washing off. Any perception that it did reeks of corporate interference protecting an investment at expense of the creative process. The fan base was prepared to let go of the past and embrace the new, which ironically, TFA wasn't.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't recall ALL the evidence supporting it. It's listed somewhere....but....

1. Qui-Gon taught Obi-Wan the Jedi Mind trick. Only Obi-Wan really uses it, it's his signature. Rey learns to do it out of nowhere, like she heard the voice of Obi-Wan in that chair.

2. She has an English accent as does Obi-Wan. Consider, Jon Buyaga is English too, but had to learn to do an American accent. Ridley then specifically had to have an English accent.

3. She hears Obi-Wan's voice calling to her in Maz's castle, leading her to the chest.

4. Rey's clothes closely resemble Obi-Wans

5. The Rey-Kylo fight at the end apparently had a lot of Obi-Wan call-backs in it. Can't remember what exactly.

There's plenty of it out there. I'll find a video that better proposes it....
Jesus ******* christ GG we've been through all this before shes a ******* ...... Jinn

Seriously though the only thing that really makes sense from a thematic stand point is Rey being Luke's daughter.

That's it basically. Too much ANH. Not a totally new adventure/story. There was a Death Star, a loner teen, all the same beats. So it just didn't add anything to all the struggles and outcome of the OT. All that human struggle and Luke Skywalker invalidated by recreating Luke as Rey, and rehashing the same story. Not advancing the OT story forward at all.

That's why many people were pissed about TFA, because after all those years after ROTJ, all that happened was the same story again. A literal reboot, when it was the LAST THING SW needed or even should've tried to do. Was a waste of a movie, an "episode".

JJ Abrams sucks so much and I hate him more and more.

Like, it was ok to create a Snoke, a Rey and a Ben Solo....that concept of the offspring of the Skywalkers and Kenobi....caught up in old wounds, old battles. But he should never have set all that in the same ANH plot. The concept of the story was ok. But the delivery of that story was a terrible decision.

Rey didn't have to be a Luke clone. Kylo's backstory was fine. Snoke's mystery is ok. It's mainly just the whole Rey angle. And the whole Death Star thing over again.
Terminator 2 is when you think about it really just an almost exact remake of Terminator 1 with a big budget and a corny kid thrown in. At least there was 38 years between ANH and TFA instead of 7. And even that didn't take anything away from T2.

Also now that it's set up Star Wars can move in a totally new direction for film 8.

"Be careful not choke on your aspirations director" - Vader

A few people didn't like that line but I though it was quite funny. Vader with the dark the humour lols.
What the hell that's fine, I'm sure even Vadar has a tiny bit of a sense of humour. It's not as if he did some booming "Ho ho ho" laugh after he said it.

Watched ANH properly for the first time in about a decade, it's great how well it matches up with this. On a side note does anyone else find the way the Gold Leader talks utterly hilarious?

"Switch all power to.. front.. deflector screens.. switch all power to.. front.. deflector screens.." "Switch.. to.. targeting computer.."

The way he delivers the lines is just so delightfully proper and stilted :D

But TWELVE armored soldiers got KILLED by a stick!!! That's the worst scene/fact in cinematic history. Ever. All-time worst thing.

There are a lot of negatives to R1 when you tear it apart.

Compare to TFA....it was a far more enjoyable movie, better pacing, good switches of focus/scenes, never boring. I HATED TFA as a movie per se, and what it added to SW. BUT, it was a far more enjoyable watch. R1 was soooo disjointed and boring in so many parts. It really sucks as a movie. But the last third was very good. And Edwards created an all-time single greatest ever Vader/SW scene (the slaying in the passageway).

At-ats (or whatever bullshit designation these piss weak walkers are) going down like skittles and Troopers dying by the gaggle...these are a few of my least favourite things.

As for Trooper murder by stick:

LajTkUilGOQrkMLZLlL4yCvFSFgy8D85fDQSygvIIdnP7f-kupmpZPc3YnoYRe_B7Vrw5u5e=w500-h214-nc.gif

My issue with the stick fight was that it was in a wide open space. If they'd been squeezed in an alley I can see a short range weapon being very effective.

But those Troopers could have blasted him with 20m to spare.

Must be some serious spacial awareness issues wearing those helmets. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back