Movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol I don't watch Rebels so can't be me. Just perusing the Star Wars Google Plus page as it is the social networking site for work so not blocked and I don't feel like doing much.

Trying to keep up to date with Star Wars. Jeeze, Disney have business-ified Star Wars more than Lucas ever did, and that is saying something.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lol I don't watch Rebels so can't be me. Just perusing the Star Wars Google Plus page as it is the social networking site for work so nor blocked and I don't feel like doing much.

Trying to keep up to date with Star Wars. Jeeze, Disney have business-ified Star Wars more than Lucas ever did, and that is saying something.

Turning SW even bigger than GL did is a fan's delight.

Not mine. It's no different to apple launching its latest iWhatever.

Under Lucas, there was a bit more of a balance, and it was more pure, with the EU not being supervised and scrutinised to fit Disney's business plans. The development of the Star Wars universe and franchise occurred more naturally.

Not mine. It's no different to apple launching its latest iWhatever.

Under Lucas, there was a bit more of a balance, and it was more pure, with the EU not being supervised and scrutinised to fit Disney's business plans. The development of the Star Wars universe and franchise occurred more naturally.

The problem is....GL is getting old and going to pasture. There would've been scant new stuff being pumped out. More EU stuff in other formats, games, books, comics, a tv show.
The bigger picture is we can live on the rest of our lives with a smorgasbord of SW content in every media format and new formats (like virtual reality) EVERY EFFING YEAR for years and years.
That matters to me.

Yeah, but to me, the artistic purity is no more. There was almost no limits on third party commercial content. Now there is, and it is rammed down our throats as official Star Wars canon at every opportunity.

Of course Zahn would jump at the chance to be involved in the Star Wars machine again. It's a great career move.

Canonising the EU is dangerous though. Its messing with it. Shadows of the Empire being my favourite work of it, I'd be pissed to see Xizor shoehorned in to a cameo role in a TV show to eventually die an inglorious death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PS, I know we have opposing views but I'm enjoying the debate.

I love all people, regardless whether they agree or disagree with me. I appreciate everyone's opinion and POV -- even if it includes derision of my own good self. It's all valid. Nothing is sacred except the right to free speech imo.

As far as this debate goes....I really don't know what else to say. Personally I love TCW and Rebels even more than the movies to some degree....the way they're able to bring in EU characters, elements, technology, tie it all together. The OEU and NEU are only over time going to bridge anyway imo. They're just slowly ever so gradually bringing it all together for the long haul. It's not a matter of just accepting the OEU and not touching it. There ARE elements and slabs of factoids/stories/characters that really do need to be redefined for the better of the overall.

It is a very topical debate. Can see genuine reasons on both sides. It's a quality v quantity measure for me, as long as the content is good enough then I welcome it.

But if Disney is going to keep flogging all things Star Wars (which is somewhat understandable given they paid $4b for the privilege) then it's a massive risk of watering down the brand.

I watched a bit of Rebels early on but it wasn't really for me. Nothing against those follow but I didn't really warm to the cartoon characters, same with The Clone Wars.

But was that Darth Maul in the Rebels trailer? What?

It is a very topical debate. Can see genuine reasons on both sides. It's a quality v quantity measure for me, as long as the content is good enough then I welcome it.

But if Disney is going to keep flogging all things Star Wars (which is somewhat understandable given they paid $4b for the privilege) then it's a massive risk of watering down the brand.

I watched a bit of Rebels early on but it wasn't really for me. Nothing against those follow but I didn't really warm to the cartoon characters, same with The Clone Wars.

But was that Darth Maul in the Rebels trailer? What?
Darth Maul is a main character in Rebels. Season 2. If you kept watching on, you'd see how the story evolved. Including many scenes with Palpatine, Vader, etc. All tying things together, leading to ultimately where ANH begins. It's bridging that whole EU from pre-prequels to the prequels and original trilogy.

Darth Maul is a main character in Rebels. Season 2. If you kept watching on, you'd see how the story evolved. Including many scenes with Palpatine, Vader, etc. All tying things together, leading to ultimately where ANH begins. It's bridging that whole EU from pre-prequels to the prequels and original trilogy.

I'm sure there's a full explanation in there. But it's an impressive feat that he still remains a main character despite being sliced in half many years before.

I'm sure there's a full explanation in there. But it's an impressive feat that he still remains a main character despite being sliced in half many years before.
Unfortunately, it's a common problem with many "series"-like movies/tv-shows, books even.....apparently dead characters brought back to life thru miraculous or ridiculous explanations, due to the popularity of the character.

Unfortunately, it's a common problem with many "series"-like movies/tv-shows, books even.....apparently dead characters brought back to life thru miraculous or ridiculous explanations, due to the popularity of the character.

Yes I recall the EU doing it with Boba Fett, to cash in on his cult following.

Without knowing exactly Maul has survived, it must be something absolutely miraculous given he was chopped in half and fell down an almost bottomless pit.

To be honest, I don't really want to know how he survived.

Yes I recall the EU doing it with Boba Fett, to cash in on his cult following.

Without knowing exactly Maul has survived, it must be something absolutely miraculous given he was chopped in half and fell down an almost bottomless pit.

To be honest, I don't really want to know how he survived.
I couldn't even explain it briefly to you either :p
And yeah, Bobba Fett is a perfect example already in SW lore.

One of my, probably the biggest actually, problems with the Disney era of Star Wars is the canon in a general sense. With the old EU, we had this wonderfully rich but variable quality narrative of Star Wars that was never really confirmed or denied. It was like it was being put out there for fans to take it or leave it, not as a whole but also in isolation. We had this amazing privilege to create our own Star Wars, pick and choose what we liked. Other than the Lucas movies, it was a Star Wars free for all. I'll take Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron... you know what? That thing where Chewie dies is not my thing, I'll leave that. That's what we all could do. Like a good RPG game where you make your own story.

In the current era, there's no more of that. No grey. Everything is certifiably canon or not canon in the Star Wars. Take all of it or leave all of it. Now, as a free thinking individual, there's no reason I have to abide by this, I can still craft my own Star Wars in my imagination from the stories, but it's not the same anymore. It's gone and replaced. There's no more my Star Wars or your Star Wars, there is only with is authorised and approved by Mickey Mouse, and some of that is good and some of it is bad, but all of it in unquestionably part of the story, the universe, the lore, and it has to be accepted. To do otherwise is to argue with what is being factually established, and that's a bummer.

Last edited:
One of my, probably the biggest actually, problems with the Disney era of Star Wars is the canon in a general sense. With the old EU, we had this wonderfully rich narrative of Star Wars that was never really confirmed or denied. It was like it was being put out there for fans to take it or leave it, not as a whole but also in isolation. We had this amazing privilege to create our own Star Wars, pick and choose what we liked. Other than the Lucas movies, it was a Star Wars free for all. I'll take Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron... you know what? That thing where Chewie dies is not my thing, I'll leave that. That's what we all could do. Like a good RPG game where you make your own story.

In the current era, there's no more of that. No grey. Everything is certifiably canon or not canon in the Star Wars. Take all of it or leave all of it. Now, as a free thinking individual, there's no reason I have to abide by this, I can still craft my own Star Wars in my imagination from the stories, but it's not the same anymore. It's gone and replaced. There's no more my Star Wars or your Star Wars, there is only with is authorised and approved by Mickey Mouse, and some of that is good and some of it is bad, but all of it in unquestionably part of the story, the universe, the lore, and it has to be accepted. To do otherwise is to argue with what is being factually established, and that's a bummer.
You make excellent points. But often that RPG element of freedom was also embarrassing. The way fans took to it, and fashioned all this extraneous stuff to it, bogged it down. Perfect example is that RedLetterMedia video about Darth Vader's suit, all the details about it found in Wookipedia.

I still think Disney's canon will end up better. Fans frightened they're going to lose the old EU, but really it'll just take Disney time to refine it all and take out all the madness.

The other thing about the old Canon is I hated the post-ROTJ future. Too happy and like the Skywalkers become some hippie cult waiting for the aliens to save them from the Earth's demise. I like where Disney are taking the post-ROTJ story....the SAGA continues. More ups/downs. Skywalkers only just a facet of the entirety of the GFFA. Not the cumulative era.

I just believe Disney will play it safe the whole way. At least the prequels excited some genuine feeling and emotion. Disney are aiming for completely acceptable 3.5/5 quality productions to not rock any boats. To play for a 5 you have to take risks. Nothing has ever earned a 5 that hasn't.

I just believe Disney will play it safe the whole way. At least the prequels excited some genuine feeling and emotion. Disney are aiming for completely acceptable 3.5/5 quality productions to not rock any boats. To play for a 5 you have to take risks. Nothing has ever earned a 5 that hasn't.
They've ONLY JUST RELEASED ONE FILM!! Give them a chance! Rogue One is like nothing ever seen before in SW. You have the weird Rian Johnson given near complete freedom to craft SW Ep8 and Ep9 how he sees fit. You have Rebels now just including Thrawn into canon. When it could've been so easy to just leave that behind. They ARE and will take risks. Give it a chance. You're seeing in the EU of Books the further expansion of the universe....more and more characters added in literally to TIE / BRIDGE the old EU with the new EU.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back