Autopsy Roos lose to the Dogs - Round 5, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Devil's advocate for a moment. If Cunners was only 10% off his usual benchmarks and the doctors said there was nothing that could make the underlying condition worse... would you select him when the alternative is (apparently...) Ahern?

fair point mate but cunners wasnt 10% off. i don't think the great man was 10% on.

Because it gives you options to kick to. Half our issue is that the majority of our options when we look up the field are sub 190cm tall blokes happily jogging along on the spot.
No. We are so slow moving the ball into our fwd 50 it wouldn’t matter if we had Wayne Carey back. By the time the ball gets there every team we play has an entire zone set up.

Why everyone on here thinks that bringing in first gamers will make us better when our issues lie much deeper is beyond me.

Disgraceful.

New coach. New year. Same old sh*t. Again and again and again. Prime time pathetic. F***en losers with a losers mentality. We're nowhere near it. Again. FMD.
It is mostly the same old list. Shaw gets a pass from me for this year. Let's see how deep the cull is at the end of the year.

I think the one thing that this club has strived on is also the club's downfall. Being the 'battler'. Needs to be pushed out. We want to be feared, not just a 'competitive side'.

That means a lot of players need to up their level of football since they seem to be ok with 'battling' rather than playing better than anyone they go up against.
This. 1000x this. Piss off with the Shinboner Spirit crap. We want to be a feared, skilled, classy side, not just the battling side who tries hard but never makes it deep into the finals. Hard work is all well and good, but it isn’t worth s**t when you don’t have the skill set to complement it

We were over a year older than them on average - not great when you are old and sh*te.

Western BulldogsAttributeNorth Melbourne
187.3cmHeight188.3cm
85.0kgWeight87.0kg
24yr 8mthAge26yr 0mth
78.8Games106.1
After they’ve won a flag 4 years ago
Why are we older?
We lost to the hawks last week who’ve got a better list 5 years after 4th flag in quick time
We are spinning wheels in the mud while others keep moving fwd

fair point mate but cunners wasnt 10% off. i don't think the great man was 10% on.
He was shaky at the very start then went on the bench, after that he actually looked OK (considering the obvious) for a little while.

I just want to know, did we test him under contested conditions? Did we get blokes to bump and tackle him for a couple of minutes to see how bad the pain was for him? If he was just doing run throughs to test his movements then that seems bloody useless.

I was really pessimistic on us preseason. And disappointed with our mid table finishes in 2018 and 2019. I had hope after the gws win but the first qrt of the Syd year game showed me it was the same old north.

I don’t think this is a coach thing. It’s the players. The same players make the same mistakes and give the same inconsist results. We are still slow and still deplorable in basic skills.

The worst thing we can do from a list perspective is to fight it out and finish 9th like we usually do. We need to have a good look at the list and see if some youngsters can be part of the future, maximise draft pick position and protect the older boys.

Ziebell - never starts pre season until Jan. Keep him sidelined for the rest of the year. Get him right and start preseason day 1.

Brown - protect and get him right.

Tazz and Higgins - as above

Hall should never play for North again. Jmac needs to be phased out.

Bonar should be given the rest of the season. I’d be happy to have Ahern play I’m his preferred position as an inside mid. Bailey Scott should be in. Walker once his fitness is up and LDU too.

Forget results, just play fast attacking football.

The sole focus for the rest of the season HAS to be improving the list.

There are some reasons to be optimistic for the future. Simpkin obviously. Taylor obviously. And Hayden has done some really good things.

But the list needs a major overhaul and we need to know where we are at. The one positive is that we now know.
Forget results? Football is about results, it's not a circus!

Putrid selections (injured players)
Putrid game plan
Putrid forward 50 entries
Putrid umpiring (thanks for confusing the umps, Clarko - I have no idea how they’ll adjudicate the HTB rule herein)
Putrid spectacle*

*I’m done with this crap. Until something changes I’m only going to watch North games.

On too many occasions we got the ball back, only to witness a stagnant and disinterested reaction from teammates. Hardly anyone running and no leads.

At some point, you have to present!

Not against Bonar but Ahern can fu** off.
Wood for Xerri, Cunners for Bonar. Is about it really .

Fancy being a tall at North and currently not getting a game ? Dear me for those guys.

I’d actually get a bit loose and play McKay up fwd.

more thinking Walker forward McKay back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. We are so slow moving the ball into our fwd 50 it wouldn’t matter if we had Wayne Carey back. By the time the ball gets there every team we play has an entire zone set up.

Why everyone on here thinks that bringing in first gamers will make us better when our issues lie much deeper is beyond me.

Exactly. The 2nd and 3rd talls aren’t working hard enough to separate for BBB. Making them all contest the one pack. No one is blocking for him ams every team sits a spare in front of BBB and defenders are just bodying him to stop his run pushing him sideways.

So why did every commentator say ...we saw Cunners do the warm up....there is no way we thought he would play.

Really poor judgement by the coach and it reflects very badly on him to make such a mistake.

In the end having Cunners in or out wasn't the difference - but it showed a real weakness in Shaw and one that needs to be watched.

It's good that he admitted it was his mistake and that he owned the mistake - but that sort of decision making must be eradicated quickly if he is to make a career as a senior coach.

Pros: Curtis Taylor & Simpkin. Lmac, Goldy and Tarrant battled on. Just onto my second bottle of beer so I'm feeling a lot calmer

Cons: many, many things. Blindly bombing it forward over and over then watching the dogs counterattack and cut us open. Hall. Lack of footskills out of the backline (and everywhere really). Inability to cleanly pick up the ball. Running out of beer.

After they’ve won a flag 4 years ago
Why are we older?
We lost to the hawks last week who’ve got a better list 5 years after 4th flag in quick time
We are spinning wheels in the mud while others keep moving fwd
Was going to mention the Dogs who won in 2016 and have rebuilt a better team than us in the same time period. We don’t talk the talk and we don’t walk the walk. Trading our first round pick for the Dees 1st round this year is the gutsiest thing we’ve done in awhile. It better pay off.

Big cross to Shaw tonight.

Signing off on Cunnington to play was not only idiotic and pretty much left us a midfielder down, but it also sends a really bad message to the rest of the group that you are being overlooked for a bloke that should be in bed resting.

Game is already over mentally when you are making dumb calls like he did tonight.

The bombing it long is a direct result of being s**t scared to even hit a target under pressure.

When we refuse to absorb pressure and expose opposition weaknesses, you're damn right we're not gonna win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back