Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They're all contracted...
Betts - currently 31yo (32 in November), contracted to 2020 (33yo)
Sloane - currently 28yo, contracted to 2023 (33yo)
Jenkins - currently 29yo, contracted to 2021 (32yo)
Gibbs - currently 29yo, contracted to 2021 (32yo)
Walker - currently 28yo, contracted to 2021 (31yo)
Lynch - currently 27 (28 in September), contracted to 2021 (30/31yo)
Jacobs - currently 30, contracted to 2019 (31yo)
Douglas - currently 31, contracted to 2019 (32yo)

The club used to have a policy of not offering multi-year contracts to players aged 30+. That protocol has clearly been thrown out the window, with so many players signed to multi-year contracts which will take them well into their 30s.

There is obviously a risk/reward balance happening here. Signing the players to longer contracts means that we're able to "keep the gang together", and the longer contracts are probably at lower $ values (per year) than would be the case with shorter contracts. The downside is the risk that some of these players will hit the wall when they still have years left to run on their contracts, resulting in significant payouts.

We haven't had this many players aged 30+ since Craig inherited his own Dad's Army from Gary Ayres.

The only thing that might off set it is if retirements come into play, I still feel Betts, Jacobs & Douglas out of those lot could seriously be prime candidates to retire after 2019.

Would love to see the reaction from all of those supporters that made statements such as "if Sloane goes them he can go and f*** himself". There were many on here that were talking like that. If I had the time I would dig up their posts and make a list and compare to their comments today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to hear Rory speak openly about how much he and Belinda love Adelaide
What's there not to like? Have lived in europe and you truly don't recognise how good we have it until it's taken away. Just need the economy to improve and the crows to finally win a flag and it will be perfect

Walsh effect. He wanted Adelaide to feel like a club. If we pushed that 30 line we may have simply pushed players interstate in the prime of their careers. It's a player moral killer that at 28 you will not receive job security long term. I don't mind it. Just means we need to push players into retirement and pay out contracts if needed. It's probably a far better strategy to build a team around then fighting player managers year after year and players feeling devalued.

Spot on. I liked, unliked, and re-liked.

Funny to see Port supporters now trying to bag our supporters about making negative comments about Sloane before he signed, yet once again they're conveniently forgetting that many of them did the same with Wines by saying that he was greedy, slow and couldn't kick before he re-signed at Port.

#Portlogic

Funny to see Port supporters now trying to bag our supporters about making negative comments about Sloane before he signed, yet once again they've conveniently forgetting that many of them did the same with Wines by saying that he was greedy, slow and couldn't kick before he re-signed at Port.

#Portlogic
I predicted what I'd read if I went over to the scum board. Dropped in for a quick squiz to see the reaction to a bit of good crows news. Exactly as I suspected. Ha ha ha ha what a collection of losers.

Jesus Christ. 5 years!? That's 2 years too many imo. Still probably worth it just to stick it up the Victorians I guess.
The net gain in terms of morale, team capability and all that far outweighs the loss should he have walked due to our insistence of a shorter contract - sometimes you have to accept a compromise to get what you want

Back