Unofficial Preview Round 1: Port Adelaide vs. Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why does everyone think we are underdone? Recent history would suggest our fitness is pretty top notch.

I get it Rocky hasn't played once for us yet, but that's one player (and it's a player that everyone in this comp knows what he is capable of).

And our talls aren't tree logs like Sandilands (I believe that belongs to Mr Gilmore) - All of our talls (Ryder, Watts, Westy, Dixon, Howard and Todd) are very mobile and in particular Todd and Doogs are very VERY fast.

Think you guys needed another tall to match up for tomorrow game to be close.

Anyway, I know you won't get this message for three hours (bitta banter guys no need to go crazy) but hoping for a injury-report free game tomorrow (I'd say good luck but I wouldn't mean it).

Why does everyone think we are underdone? Recent history would suggest our fitness is pretty top notch.
Recent history says a handful of your prime players have had interrupted preseasons.

We have Brad Hill coming off an interruption, the rest have played three games.

I get it Rocky hasn't played once for us yet, but that's one player (and it's a player that everyone in this comp knows what he is capable of).

And our talls aren't tree logs like Sandilands (I believe that belongs to Mr Gilmore) - All of our talls (Ryder, Watts, Westy, Dixon, Howard and Todd) are very mobile and in particular Todd and Doogs are very VERY fast.

Anyway, I know you won't get this message for three hours (bitta banter guys no need to go crazy) but hoping for a injury-report free game tomorrow (I'd say good luck but I wouldn't mean it).

Grey missing is a big out for you guys - re:rocky - we are always happy for him to rack up possessions as he isnt damaging. I think we are one tall too short also and that we will see Kersten swung back. Which may not be the worst thing in the world. He is still a little short on your monsters though. Hamling out hurts.

If we can run and play on at all costs we may give it a shake, however with the more developed list I would expect Port to win.

We got it straight away thanks. How's your electricity going over there ?? Oh that's right you get it from Victoria.
And we still think you are underdone!

Not all of us think you are underdone. But I think the whole football community unanimously agrees you guys are the biggest flat trackers in football history (so much so that West Coast are jealous - yes, it's that bad). Playing a bunch of kids, a bunch of has beens, or a bunch of rabble and you will smash them. Throw a half decent side up against you and you guys choke almost every single time. What's amusing is how you've loaded up on more guys that tend to choke when pressure is applied.

Chances are we are still in a rebuild phase and probably more rabble than quality opposition so you quite possibly will smash us tomorrow but a win isn't going to change the flat track tag. And if you lose the media will have an absolute field day.

Best of luck.

I’d be fully ok with two KPDs if Hughes or someone similar who’s good overhead was in the side. We got away with it with Ibbotson playing third tall in 2015. Ryan is the only one of our smalls that really marks it well above his head. Even Spurr at 182cm is a loss there. It really concerns me - not so much I’m heading to the melt thread but I just think it’s our biggest weakness this week. Could really work though - there’s no way our smalls are less mobile than their talls.

Not all of us think you are underdone. But I think the whole football community unanimously agrees you guys are the biggest flat trackers in football history (so much so that West Coast are jealous - yes, it's that bad). Playing a bunch of kids, a bunch of has beens, or a bunch of rabble and you will smash them. Throw a half decent side up against you and you guys choke almost every single time. What's amusing is how you've loaded up on more guys that tend to choke when pressure is applied.

Chances are we are still in a rebuild phase and probably more rabble than quality opposition so you quite possibly will smash us tomorrow but a win isn't going to change the flat track tag. And if you lose the media will have an absolute field day.

Best of luck.
I could be wrong, but I feel like you teed off on someone who asked a legitimate question. I reckon we save that kind of vitriol for West Coast supporters :straining:

Hamling did miss a lot of the pre season. Maybe he is not right and its not worth the chance of a re injury. Righteo did mention he was still suffering from his groin strain. As I said before the draft we are short of tall defenders , it was a major concern of mine which is why I was so strong on Houghton.

Gotta have a niggle, he was outstanding last year in a defence under assult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are game, some dont take light hearted banter very well around here...

And, right or wrong, the underdone thing stems from the fact you had 3 players not certain to be up for this weekend.

You've had injuries to Rockliff, Boak, Motlop, Marshall, Wingard and Powell Pepper in the last month and all are playing.

I think this has been mentioned by someone else... but Kersten can play as a KPD.

In the simulations in the two training sessions I watched pre JLT2 he lined up as a defender. I didn't mention it at the time because I assume the club don't want it advertised to their opposition. It may not happen but it would not surprise me if he played more back than forward tomorrow.

Hamling did miss a lot of the pre season. Maybe he is not right and its not worth the chance of a re injury. Righteo did mention he was still suffering from his groin strain. As I said before the draft we are short of tall defenders , it was a major concern of mine which is why I was so strong on Houghton.

I know he looked a bit out of sorts in JLT 1 but Cox > Hamling would have made more sense

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering we had all of Fyfe, Mundy and Neale coming off interrupted preseasons last year and none of them getting to their best, although they have the experience, it doesn't replace preseason gametime minutes.

IMO as mentioned above, Hamling could still be dealing with some groin soreness. Big risk but hopefully the extra running player pays off. Maybe Ross is thinking given it's going to be a hot day and being round 1, having another body that can run through the middle wil be beneficial to run out the game.

If Westoff plays wing, let’s see how he matches up on Fyfe.

Wilson can play on much taller opponents. Marshall is all about pace, Wilson loves to test his wheels against fast opponents. I wouldn’t be upset with that match up, I doubt Marshall could contain him on the rebound.

We have the option of Kersten playing swingman.

Marshall, Watts, Westhoff, Ryder and Dixon obviously won't all be in the forward line at the same time, but it is a lot to cover in the air.

Maybe the plan will backfire, but I can see what they are thinking. If we just went tall for tall with them, we'd probably lose anyway. Hot day and they have some underdone players. Win the game based on our legs, or get annihilated trying.

Would prefer Hamling over Johnson, I guess the latter is more creative and would supposedly help more with our rebound/spread.

Looking forward to getting Logue and Hughes up and going, they would help greatly in being both tall-ish and runners.
Considering we had all of Fyfe, Mundy and Neale coming off interrupted preseasons last year and none of them getting to their best, although they have the experience, it doesn't replace preseason gametime minutes.

IMO as mentioned above, Hamling could still be dealing with some groin soreness. Big risk but hopefully the extra running player pays off. Maybe Ross is thinking given it's going to be a hot day and being round 1, having another body that can run through the middle wil be beneficial to run out the game.
I agree. On paper Ross would know Port is a better team (like everyone else bar a few few purple glasses) and to beat them, will have to try something different. Fully fit, hard running, in form team (even if not our best players) pushing through the middle on the rebound like we have been training for, on a hot day in round 1 with the stamina to go all 4 quarters, against a better list, but with Gray out, underdone players, tall forwards, and a heap of new players. Fact is, if we play them at their own game (i.e. line up like for like) we will likely lose. So I can understand giving this a crack. Neale's interview the other day indicated how much they wanted a round 1 win. But against a better team away you got to take some risks. We will see if it pays off.

Also, I found it interesting that Judd, On the Couch (not related to our game but just Port in 2018) was adamant that 6 trade inclusions from other clubs was too much and would be too unsettling for the dynamics of a team trying to contend against other solid teams (Richmond, Geelong, Sydney). Will see if he is correct by September I guess.

Take a shot every time DPearce turns it over, Ballas hits the deck, Jonno gives away a holding free. If hammered at half time, we're in for a long season.
I recommend using light beer. On the positive, those 3 and Sutty obviously killing us would only force Ross' hand quicker like what we saw after those 2 first games in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back