Toast Round 1 Selection - Hard Calls Made

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah am loving that the Cats appear to be rewarding players on merit, rather than using the Guthrie option.
Don't speak too soon.

And there's the problem. It's highly debatable that Cam is at a level where he justifies automatic selection.

To me thats a privilege earned by internal ratings and performance on the big stage. Does he have that status? I would never expect Joel Selwood to play VFL unless he wanted to. So Id ask Cam ..have you won a B&F? Have you been in our best when we needed him in finals when we where in dire need
Of course you can have a different look at it if things were different , if the club had injuries or struggling but for now .. it should be clear to all .. its like the death scene in Private Ryan ... "Earn it"

No real hard calls we started playing kids last year I like that we have made the young guy's like Narkle Cunico Jones and other's work hard for a game and not gift them games to start the year

And there's the problem. It's highly debatable that Cam is at a level where he justifies automatic selection.

And he gets a week.

Guthrie replaces say Atkins - which I will be ill at if it happens - but say it does. Guthrie will need to make people forget Atkins. And while he needs to do it and can do it he aint played that kind of game in the last 3 years - so he'd need to get his s**t together.

Go Catters

And he gets a week.

Guthrie replaces say Atkins - which I will be ill at if it happens - but say it does. Guthrie will need to make people forget Atkins. And while he needs to do it and can do it he aint played that kind of game in the last 3 years - so he'd need to get his s**t together.

Go Catters

Agreed. On the basis of probability he won't play that type of game, so I don't understand how his selection would be justified unless he plays a couple of blinders in the VFL first

They don't always get it right - and we flame them when they don't - but some hard calls were made and they came through well.

Finally biting the bullet on Taylor and Henderson was a big call, but I'm glad they finally stopped trying to go with both. Keeping Harry in even at the age of 32 was also the right move - his stock has been artificially lowered by being played out of position for years. The same goes with Kolo - he's a defender, not a winger.

I didn't expect them to pick Miers, Atkins and Rohan in the same side but I'm glad they did. Again, it would have been easier to just stick with the likes of Cunico.

I'm also glad they showed as much faith in Constable to be in the engine room and hold up well. Too often young players at Geelong have been shunted into an apprenticeship on a flank, and players who are clearly midfielders and only midfielders (such as Lang and Horlin-Smith) really struggle for game time.

Finally, I'm glad they also didn't stick with two ruckmen even though Grundy was playing. The extra run really told in the finish, especially in the last five or so minutes.
A hard call will be made when they drop atleast one of if not both of kolo and henry.

Cunico was dropped midseason last year and never returned. Weird that would mention dropping him as a hard decision when you go onto say we never gave horlin smith game time? He had multiple goes where he was given a large string of games in a row and he kept failing time and again on the big grounds. He played 51 games with us. We were beating a dead horse with GHS he had that many goes. Cuncio gets dropped with just one bad game unlike GHS.

One of miers or atkins should be replaced by Narkle. It would be criminal to have a fit Narkle in the reserves for a long period whilst they are getting games.

Only change I would have made was Narkle for Miers or when healthy Cockatoo. Longer term I’d take out Kolo for Touhy and O’Connor for Bews or Guthrie

Leave O’Connor in. From where we were I watched him closely and he’s good. More games more confidence and he’ll repay that faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They don't always get it right - and we flame them when they don't - but some hard calls were made and they came through well.

Finally biting the bullet on Taylor and Henderson was a big call, but I'm glad they finally stopped trying to go with both. Keeping Harry in even at the age of 32 was also the right move - his stock has been artificially lowered by being played out of position for years. The same goes with Kolo - he's a defender, not a winger.

I didn't expect them to pick Miers, Atkins and Rohan in the same side but I'm glad they did. Again, it would have been easier to just stick with the likes of Cunico.

I'm also glad they showed as much faith in Constable to be in the engine room and hold up well. Too often young players at Geelong have been shunted into an apprenticeship on a flank, and players who are clearly midfielders and only midfielders (such as Lang and Horlin-Smith) really struggle for game time.

Finally, I'm glad they also didn't stick with two ruckmen even though Grundy was playing. The extra run really told in the finish, especially in the last five or so minutes.
The hard calls were made long before R1 selections... they were made when we finally got rid of all that deadwood in Menzel, McCarthy, Murdoch and co.
The hard calls come again this week, when the club shows courage, and makes no changes to last weeks team.
Effort and synergy must be rewarded

Last edited:
The hard call comes this week when the club shows courage and makes no changes to last weeks team.
I know you're not a Guthrie fan, so let's not open that exact can of worms ;)

But the other cab-off-the-rank - Narkle... well, I guess the only possible change is Gary Rohan, but it's not really a like-for-like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the other cab-off-the-rank - Narkle... well, I guess the only possible change is Gary Rohan, but it's not really a like-for-like.
Youre the only one who mentioned him....
Mo changes this week

We’ve got more than JLT to base Narkle on and he has an AFL ready body. Miers simply doesn’t yet. He’s definately a midfielder IMO but has shown he’s serviceable as a forward.

Miers pre-season was far superior to Narkles who was poor.

Miers was picked as a forward, where narkle is the thr midfield / forward group.

I love narkle but he just did not deserve a spot early in the season simple as that. And he won't get back on this week either outside of an injury to current 22.

Guthrie, 2e and possibly bews if these guys are fit probably would be given opportunities before narkle.

Miers looked excellent in round 1. Ready made AFL player and will only improve with more exposure. Off his junior stuff he is every chance to end up high on our goal kicking list with 20 plus if he gets enough exposure.

Effort and synergy must be rewarded

That's a great point Mr Blicavs

Synergy , effort , roles and game plan all need to come together for success - it's how the Eagles won last season.
They weren't the most talented team , far from it , but game plan and roles were clearly defined and the buy in was outstanding.

Our F50 pressure was off the scale at times last week so we have to be careful that any changes we make don't compromise that output - synergy was enormous
Atkins, Miers , Rohan , Dalhaus , Rohan and Gaz were fantastic in their pressure at times ensuring we kept it in F50 or forced a rushed exit - I also saw that in 2 ten minute bursts over here V Eagles with similar results :thumbsu:
Early days but our game style appears very different and we now need to hone it with total buy in and smart selections going forward.

Rohan is the only one with express pace. That alone gets him in, all things considered. He caused issues for himself, for his teammates but most importantly for the pies defence. Suddenly Geelong can have the chaos ball in its fwd 50 and others to exploit it. Not all Rohan but a significant part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can't remember if it was the 2nd or 4th quarters, Pies have the ball in our forward 50 (might have been a mark from a kick in) and they decided to switch it from one side of the 50 to the other pocket. The kick wasn't the greatest, but there was time for the Pies defender to recover & take possession - at least their should have been, and in past years against us the player probably would have picked up the loose ball, run 10m and kicked to a teammate. Instead, after initially dropped the mark, Rohan runs hard to chase to the other pocket and even though he wasn't initially on the players back, you could see the Pies player check to see what time he had and realising that Rohan was closing in on him saw a second fumble and ultimately the ball going over the line.

We didn't have players in our forward line with closing speed like that in recent seasons - so a dropped mark or fumble didn't necessarily hurt the opposition, but on Friday night we suddenly had players who could pressure, so suddenly there wasn't easy recoveries from mistakes.

I don't think that Rohan would have had the chance to actually execute a tackle because I don't think the Pies play ever genuinely took possession, but Rohan's presence in the vicinity of the loose ball was no doubt an important factor to see the ball ultimately over the line.

Rohan is the only one with express pace. That alone gets him in, all things considered. He caused issues for himself, for his teammates but most importantly for the pies defence. Suddenly Geelong can have the chaos ball in its fwd 50 and others to exploit it. Not all Rohan but a significant part.
Did you see the behind-the-goal vision of that final chasedown?

I hope Clark watches that vision. He looked like he was walking when Rohan streaked past him to get to the contest.
He's pretty quick himself, but probably was just thinking "I'm not going to get there."
Seeing Rohan do that will be good for his football education, if nothing else.

No but I was there and Rohan, Dalhouse and Gaj were all charging around which doesn’t exactly come through the replay. I did see the Rohan run down because I was thinking here we go pies goal 1 point the difference back to the centre fast break we lose. And then from no where Rohan comes-lightening speed. Easily could have been a goal without it given my recollection of pies fwd of the play.
I remember Nakia (poster) being a big wrap for him (barely heard of him) and now on low data so am I.

And to think some people on here were questioning the validity and how extensive the end of season review was because it wasn't made public (and it didn't have to be).

The players chopped from last year. The players added this year. The not being bent over on the potential Kelly trade. The player selection and non-selection for round 1 and the subtle changes in our gameplan clearly points to a thorough review being done and at the moment being implemented.

Not sure if it will lead us to a flag at this stage, but we're not standing still and we're not going to die wondering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back