Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding is, and I could be completely wrong however I’m assuming the free was paid regardless of time on the clock as it allows Collingwood extra time to setup. Thus it falls under time wasting.

However there’s no doubt in my mind after the look he gave Sidebottom he was just itching to pull something.

If you listen to the original audio initially he says free kick Collingwood , in my mind just means he had us on the mind.

This is a rule interpreted to the absolute extreme ends of it.
But even that claim is ludicrous. It took literally a millisecond. Who would be setting up differently had he just left it on the ground? It is insane and his decision is indefensible if logic is still the basis of any argument.

These decisions cost teams a finals berth or top four position and in turn impact the chances of winning a flag. That is not an overreaction. It is a fact.

This is the most asinine argument.

It is clearly a time-wasting free kick.

How so many people in AFL circles use the argument "time-off was called" clearly are being disingenuous.

That people like Leigh, Caro, Kane Cornes etc use this argument boggles the mind.

And I will happily die on my own hill in the belief that is 100% the correct decision.
Please feel free to go to your hill.

While on the subject of ridiculous rules, I saw Bobby Hill get pinged for 50m because he was moving back rather than standing still. This is another absurdity.

The rule was created to allow the player with the ball to have the option of playing on without being inhibited by the man on the mark.

When Hill or Markov were backing off and moving further away from the player in possession of the ball they are in no way impeding his ability to play on or take his kick.

It is another absurdity.

Newcomers to our game must be left staggered by the ridiculously harsh penalties for such tiny, inconsequential actions.

While on the subject of ridiculous rules, I saw Bobby Hill get pinged for 50m because he was moving back rather than standing still. This is another absurdity.

The rule was created to allow the player with the ball to have the option of playing on without being inhibited by the man on the mark.

When Hill or Markov were backing off and moving further away from the player in possession of the ball they are in no way impeding his ability to play on or take his kick.

It is another absurdity.

Newcomers to our game must be left staggered by the ridiculously harsh penalties for such tiny, inconsequential actions.
They ask them to move back and stand at the same time 😆 it's ludicrous.

A ll
F ucking
L awyers

The clubs always stick up for their players (unless it’s irrefutable)

The AFL always stick up for the umpires (unless it’s irrefutable). They have to. Nobody else does. They need to recruit them at all levels. They need retention at all levels.

One more thing in relation to Nicholls - I was watching a bit of Geelong v Giants game and in similar situations the umpire communicated to the player to pass him the ball.

Had Nicholls said to Sullivan 'pass me the ball' 0and he ignored that then maybe. However, watching it back Nicholls does not say anything until after the ball has been given to Daicos.
Clearly next day instructions given to avoid another embarrassing incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clubs always stick up for their players (unless it’s irrefutable)

The AFL always stick up for the umpires (unless it’s irrefutable). They have to. Nobody else does. They need to recruit them at all levels. They need retention at all levels.
Common sense umpiring (and rules) would be the best advertisement.

I hope we simply put the ball on the ground at every stoppage next week and potentially longer.

We should, and let the umpire retrieve it or will we get asked to give it to the umpire? Also are we going to see free kicks paid from now on when the ball goes out of bounds, and players just flick the ball up, and it goes no where near the boundary umpire, or it gets flicked back over the boundary and the boundary ump has to go retrieve it??
That free kick has now brought all scenarios under the microscope....

Last edited:
We should, and let the umpire retrieve it or will we get asked to give it to the umpire? Also are we going to see free kicks paid from now on when the ball goes out of bounds, and players just flick the ball up, and it goes no where near the boundary umpire, or it gets flicked back over the boundary and the boundary ump has to go retrieve it??
That free kick has now bought all the scenarios under the microscope....
I doubt any significant changes will occur. The AFL will just move on and pretend it never happened.

But even that claim is ludicrous. It took literally a millisecond. Who would be setting up differently had he just left it on the ground? It is insane and his decision is indefensible if logic is still the basis of any argument.

These decisions cost teams a finals berth or top four position and in turn impact the chances of winning a flag. That is not an overreaction. It is a fact.
I one hundred percent agree with you, I strongly believe he wanted a square up for Sidebottom not handing him the ball.
Nothing will change until someone stands up to the afl to make the genuine changes.

Under the rule, the umpire must believe Sullivan was milking the clock. I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone that would agree.

I’m not sure why we are complaining about what happened, the rule is the issue. It’s meant to stop time wasting, the umpire had blown time off, so no chance of any time coming off the clock. Sullivan wasn’t being a D!ck just trying to get into position, Nick was already in position so he flicked it to him.

This has zero impact on the game but the umpires call did, tighten up the rule because umpires can be d!cos when they want to be.

Common sense umpiring (and rules) would be the best advertisement.

Umpires need to make a kazillion black and white interpretations of a game that’s got so many shades of grey.

Sure, sometimes the umpires make a contentious black and white call out of a shade of grey. But the AFL quite reasonably aren’t going to hang their umpires out over those. Especially when the call is technically correct.

Because if they did there’d be no games of football. Because nobody would want to be an umpire. Or stay an umpire. And we can’t have games of football without umpires.

We can’t change the result (see Adelaide’s 2023 season). We have to make do that players being more diligent giving the ball back + the umpires not being so precious 15m out from goal in the last minutes. Just as will make do that players will try to not so run so far with the footy (*) and umpires not be so anal about calling travel in the last minutes.

* or not. Plenty of examples in our Freo game where our own players clearly ran more than 15m with the footy.

Why is the ump bashing still going?!?
Ffs it didn’t cost us the game.

I really don’t understand the “let’s blame the umps instead of the players” mentality.

Over the course of a full game….umpires will never decide the outcome. Never.

The whole “spirit of the game” and “common sense” is ludicrous. Game has rules. Apply them. If you’re going to have a go at anyone, blame the AFL for having a game with the most complex, difficult to adjudge and liberal “rules” you can get….like how it’s just accepted that finals are umpired differently to regular season. wtf is that?!?

Rant over. Congrats on getting this far! :)

I one hundred percent agree with you, I strongly believe he wanted a square up for Sidebottom not handing him the ball.
Nothing will change until someone stands up to the afl to make the genuine changes.

Under the rule, the umpire must believe Sullivan was milking the clock. I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone that would agree.
Sidey keeps being brought up, but it was a Freo player who dropped the ball. Steele was just in the area and on his way out. Maybe the umpire got it wrong and thought Steele had dropped it, but that's going even further into mind reading.

Why is the ump bashing still going?!?
Ffs it didn’t cost us the game.

I really don’t understand the “let’s blame the umps instead of the players” mentality.

Over the course of a full game….umpires will never decide the outcome. Never.

The whole “spirit of the game” and “common sense” is ludicrous. Game has rules. Apply them. If you’re going to have a go at anyone, blame the AFL for having a game with the most complex, difficult to adjudge and liberal “rules” you can get….like how it’s just accepted that finals are umpired differently to regular season. wtf is that?!?

Rant over. Congrats on getting this far! :)
I don't agree that Nicholls doesn't deserve criticism, but I do very much agree with the emboldened

I’m not sure why we are complaining about what happened, the rule is the issue. It’s meant to stop time wasting, the umpire had blown time off, so no chance of any time coming off the clock. Sullivan wasn’t being a D!ck just trying to get into position, Nick was already in position so he flicked it to him.

This has zero impact on the game but the umpires call did, tighten up the rule because umpires can be d!cos when they want to be.
All rules of this type have room for umpire discretion. In my view he should have used it in this case, but didn't. It's why the AFL can tick it off, even though I think even most umpires might think it was not the right call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back