Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn’t draw Friday night’s game because of the umpires. We drew it because of dozens of mistakes made by our own players - which we’ll learn from.

And that’s a good thing, because we can learn from and control our own behaviours. We can’t change a thing about the umpires apart from what the media have done for us already. (You seriously reckon Nichols would have got a call from the umpire’s boss saying “Good call - I want you to look out for those every week!”??)

The club has moved on. They’re not going to waste a modicum of energy on this (have you not seen Fly’s presser?)
Agree. Club would have already moved on.
When does the AFL come out and say “oops”…..hardly ever.
Why? Because absolutely every contentious decision is actually a free kick.

It’s the core of what’s wrong.

Anyone wonder why the 1960’s had a avg free kick counts in the 70’s?
Rules haven’t really changed.

It’s bizarre that the concept of missed frees isnt tracked.

Yet 20 frees is considered a rort.

I love the game, but TBH for the past few years I’m struggling to follow it with enthusiasm due to the absolute luck of draw games are played with regards to the rules and which umpire interprets what.

It’s easily the most unprofessional professional league in the world.
By a mile.

I love the game, but TBH for the past few years I’m struggling to follow it with enthusiasm due to the absolute luck of draw games are played with regards to the rules and which umpire interprets what.

By a mile.
How many professional football leagues have an uneven draw?

By a mile.
But we keep going to games, watching it on telly, betting on it and writing about it on forums. What we need is a supporters strike comrades. That’ll show em

Why is the ump bashing still going?!?
Ffs it didn’t cost us the game.

I really don’t understand the “let’s blame the umps instead of the players” mentality.

Over the course of a full game….umpires will never decide the outcome. Never.

The whole “spirit of the game” and “common sense” is ludicrous. Game has rules. Apply them. If you’re going to have a go at anyone, blame the AFL for having a game with the most complex, difficult to adjudge and liberal “rules” you can get….like how it’s just accepted that finals are umpired differently to regular season. wtf is that?!?

Rant over. Congrats on getting this far! :)
I can pretty well debunk your entire post.
I understand you made it with the right intent.

In absolute isolation the Sullivan decision absolutely cost Collingwood the game.

Absolutely.

My angst was not with that decision in isolation.

The decision making in the last half of the last quarter of the the game was intolerably inconsistent.

Unless you have never played the game the selective nature of the decisions, specifically directed at giving a specific team every opportunity to come back is obvious.
It has been obvious in numerous matches not including and including Collingwood for several years.
It is a mandated objective of the AFL.

Rules are specifically created, worded and enforced to allow for subjective interpretation.
Specifically brought in to favour certain game plans, tailored to benefit a preferred (by the AFL and/or the broadcast rights holder) "game style",

It's become clear the entire competition is becoming a fix.

Fixed to meet the desires of the "fixers"

You are as naive as **** if you think they will just fix the games to be closer, faster and more exciting if they can also make them more profitable,.

Do you really believe the CEO of the AFL does his job for the betterment of the game or for the salary?

Lets see how many of these campaigners line up for a $100,000.00 PA salary.

I guarantee it's none, nata, zero

Last edited:
We had 2 draws in 1935 and 1995 too. Won the flag in ‘35 against the Swans.
Finished nowhere in ‘95.
Swans it is then.
Carton wont make the GF now even though they have North in July, Wet Toast twice???? and St Blunder in the month of August. What a draw.

Wonder what brain scientist at the AFL thought that up?
Ex Carlton ********er no doubt.

I don't blame umpires for losses, but it's also wrong to point to mistakes (umpiring or otherwise) earlier in the game as a way of dismissing late game mistakes. Earlier mistakes can be responded to and recovered. It's also impossible to say how the game plays out if certain mistakes were not made, the "impossibility" increasing further from the game's end. For the Freo game I look to our misses in the last more than those earlier in the game. The later a mistake is, the more fatal and more clear its effect.

There's no doubt the free against Sullivan right or wrong had a significant influence on us losing the game. It wasn't the only reason but it was one of them. Doesn't mean we need to dwell on it costing us, I've mostly been interested in thinking about its correctness and what the call should have been as it's not one I'd come across before.

Being at the game on Friday night you could easily see in the last 5mins we were COOKED
Was the same against the Crows the week before.
Need to get through this week unscathed and enjoy a little break before KB game.

By a mile.

It’s an imperfect game by design.

The ball is oval. It’s (usually) played under whatever weather conditions nature dishes up. Sometimes it’s played in the daytime, other times at night.

But no matter what random element gets thrown in - including the umpires and their rule interpretations - it’s the same for both teams.

For the Freo game it wouldn’t be a difficult exercise to point out a similar number of umpire calls / non-calls that went in our favour versus those that went against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ball is oval. It’s (usually) played under whatever weather conditions nature dishes up. Sometimes it’s played in the daytime, other times at night.

But no matter what random element gets thrown in - including the umpires and their rule interpretations - it’s the same for both teams.

For the Freo game it wouldn’t be a difficult exercise to point out a similar number of umpire calls / non-calls that went in our favour versus those that went against us.
Did we get questionable frees 20 m (?) out that could have decided the game?

Yes, there were missed calls for both teams.
But the time wasting one was on a whole different level.

Yes, there were missed calls for both teams.
But the time wasting one was on a whole different level.
ie the clock was already stopped so "technically" not wasting time...🙁

ie the clock was already stopped so "technically" not wasting time...🙁
It was wasting the umpire’s time. He needed that ball back two seconds faster.

It makes all the difference.

Did we get questionable frees 20 m (?) out that could have decided the game?

(a) Why pick on an umpiring call? There were plenty of examples where the game was decided by our own screw-ups that were within our control.

(b) There were plenty of umpiring decisions that went in our favour over the course of the game.

It was wasting the umpire’s time. He needed that ball back two seconds faster.

It makes all the difference.
I was just gonna say the same thing, there was no game time wasted, just the umpires, but me thinks he was annoyed.

That’s all pantomime as far as I’m concerned.

it’s frustrating that supporters immediately blame umps.

Maybe it’s just footy imitating life.
hell….its never my kids fault for anything!! They are teflon!

I don't think supporters immediately blame umps

I didn't see us blaming umps for Round 0 and 1

But we did against the Saints and it was justified. It wasn't even just the 30-15 free kick count. Anyone who watches the game knows that frees that don't get paid are equally as important and match turning as the ones that do

Like Booby Hill blatantly having his arm pulled back while he was running up to take a pack mark.

Last edited:
(a) Why pick on an umpiring call? There were plenty of examples where the game was decided by our own screw-ups that were within our control.

(b) There were plenty of umpiring decisions that went in our favour over the course of the game.
Agree there are things we should have got better - but the decision paid against Sullivan was right out of the super techo book - so much so that a near identical action in yesterday's Hawthorn game was not paid

I can pretty well debunk your entire post.
I understand you made it with the right intent.

In absolute isolation the Sullivan decision absolutely cost Collingwood the game.

Absolutely.

My angst was not with that decision in isolation.

The decision making in the last half of the last quarter of the the game was intolerably inconsistent.

Unless you have never played the game the selective nature of the decisions, specifically directed at giving a specific team every opportunity to come back is obvious.
It has been obvious in numerous matches not including and including Collingwood for several years.
It is a mandated objective of the AFL.

Rules are specifically created, worded and enforced to allow for subjective interpretation.
Specifically brought in to favour certain game plans, tailored to benefit a preferred (by the AFL and/or the broadcast rights holder) "game style",

It's become clear the entire competition is becoming a fix.

Fixed to meet the desires of the "fixers"

You are as naive as **** if you think they will just fix the games to be closer, faster and more exciting if they can also make them more profitable,.

Do you really believe the CEO of the AFL does his job for the betterment of the game or for the salary?

Lets see how many of these campaigners line up for a $100,000.00 PA salary.

I guarantee it's none, nata, zero
The AFL CEO played 290 games in the ammos. That imight be an indication that he holds some affection for the game, no?

The rest of your post is unhinged conspiracy theory.

I don't blame umpires for losses, but it's also wrong to point to mistakes (umpiring or otherwise) earlier in the game as a way of dismissing late game mistakes. Earlier mistakes can be responded to and recovered. It's also impossible to say how the game plays out if certain mistakes were not made, the "impossibility" increasing further from the game's end. For the Freo game I look to our misses in the last more than those earlier in the game. The later a mistake is, the more fatal and more clear its effect.

There's no doubt the free against Sullivan right or wrong had a significant influence on us losing the game. It wasn't the only reason but it was one of them. Doesn't mean we need to dwell on it costing us, I've mostly been interested in thinking about its correctness and what the call should have been as it's not one I'd come across before.

there were 2 sliding door moments for me.

Firstly, after Hills goal Freo got a clean clearance and kicked a goal immediately. If they could've burned a few minutes there they game was probably done.

Secondly, Hill not getting the ball out of bounds on the far side. That just had to get over the line so they could set up behind the ball.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back