Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

ie the clock was already stopped so "technically" not wasting time...🙁

“Wasting time” isn’t just about teams using the game clock to their advantage. It’s also about running the game to schedule for the broadcasters, public transport, ground staff who are working, fans not wanting games to go on forever.

If having the clock stopped meant it wasn’t possible to waste time, then whenever the umpire blew “time off”, players would be free to torp the ball into the crowd to give their team enough time to set-up. Which clearly they’re not permitted to do.

Did anyone see the clip of the Hawk's player handing the ball to Sicily who then handed it to the ump who accepted it and bounced the ball? Given the furor over the Sullivan free it was hilarious to see it enacted the next day! And nothing was said nor was there a whistle blown. Farcical.
Why the surprise? I’m sure all Umps for later games were advised to avoid repeating the same stupid controversy.

Last edited:

“Wasting time” isn’t just about teams using the game clock to their advantage. It’s also about running the game to schedule for the broadcasters, public transport, ground staff who are working, fans not wanting games to go on forever.

If having the clock stopped meant it wasn’t possible to waste time, then whenever the umpire blew “time off”, players would be free to torp the ball into the crowd to give their team enough time to set-up. Which clearly they’re not permitted to do.
C’mon 76. We are talking about a second or two extra time taken to give the ball to the umpire.

It was a pedantic decision that appears to be based on nothing more than his own personal annoyance.

It really is indefensible.

C’mon 76. We are talking about a second or two extra time taken to give the ball to the umpire.

It was a pedantic decision that appears to be based on nothing more than his own personal annoyance.

It really is indefensible.
Can we start fining umps every time they **** up and bounce and waste 15 seconds?

But the AFL said it was the correct call, so why the need to advise them not to repeat it.

For exactly the same reason clubs defend their players when they do something dumb.

You’ve got to support them in public. But that doesn’t stop you from reading them the riot act behind closed doors.

Even Fly used the old "the players make countless mistakes so we can't hold the umpire's to a higher standard" type comment at the presser which is nonsense in relation to this particular incident. It's like calling a coldly calculated robbery a "mistake". It's one thing to bounce the ball poorly or misread a holding the man decision. But in a situation where there was no stress and no need for anything other than the ump to bounce the ball such a decision was a deliberate and malicious choice which had an adverse effect on the outcome of the game for one team and could prove very costly down the track.

I hope our mob remind him of it every time we see him.

For exactly the same reason clubs defend their players when they do something dumb.

You’ve got to support them in public. But that doesn’t stop you from reading them the riot act behind closed doors.
Players and coaches take a lot more responsibility for their mistakes than the AFL and umpires do. Maybe we’d have more respect for them if they did.

Players and coaches take a lot more responsibility for their mistakes than the AFL and umpires do. Maybe we’d have more respect for them if they did.
AFL's public acknowledgement of pretty important error

Time Travel Smoke GIF by Spizzenergi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still get PTSD thinking about Trav.

Sorry, but those yips will stay with me forever. Happy for him to stay in retirement.
He was fine from 55 out on the boundary it was those tricky 30m out directly in front ones that were n issue. He'd create a contest with 3 blokes hanging off him

The AFL CEO played 290 games in the ammos. That imight be an indication that he holds some affection for the game, no?

The rest of your post is unhinged conspiracy theory.

I'm curious as to why you believe it's unhinged when history is absolutely littered with examples of corruption and incompetence not only in sport, but basically in all types of management/governance situations.

Like...these people in positions of power in the AFL, be it umpires or execs all most likely have a team they support yeah? That's not crazy to assume?

Safe to say those same people also follow those teams fairly passionately like we all do? Again, doesn't seem totally out of the realms of possibility?

There's a saying that goes "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

I'm not saying one way or the other whether I believe in it, I'm just saying I don't think it's necessarily an "unhinged" conspiracy theory when we have examples as recently as last year (or was it 2022?) of scandal/corruption in the umpire ranks.

Regardless of what you think of Caro personally, she's also put her name to a claim that the umpires were basically pissed at us for not returning the ball directly to them throughout the night as we were just leaving it on the floor and that that final free kick was revenge for that.

Bucks was on the radio this morning reading the rule out live on air and the wording is "can pay a free kick" as opposed to other rules where the wording used is must.

This would indicate the umps have discretion to not pay that a free kick in certain circumstances and guess what, despite it being SUCH a crucial point in the match, that umpire decided he would pay a free kick that has been paid a total of four times throughout this entire season. Four. I doubt the other 3 were paid in the final few minutes of a close game.

So is it totally impossible/unhinged to think there's some dodgy stuff that goes on?

I wouldn't have thought so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back