Review Round 11 vs Hawks at TIO Stadium, Saturday 28th May, 7:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Flanders for rosas
Stop with the Flanders already!:p
Hardly touched it in the VFL
I will be super surprised if he makes the grade- what makes him better than Darcy MacPherson?
We have a logjam of possibly maybes
Atkins, Sharp, Flanders, Constable,Davies
Hollands, Moyle, Andrew will be fine I think

After watching the Hawks today it's easy to get worried about what's going to happen when we play them in Darwin.
We have injuries to two of our better performers on the weekend but also have some ready replacements.
Our key forwards both had down games. First time this year they haven't both scored goals in a game.
We pushed last years Grand Finalist to 19 points in one of our worst games this year.
Witts and the midfield were badly beaten for the first time. We have bodies that can come in if required.
We've been one the top contested possession teams this year.
Come next Saturday the boys will be rested and ready to go.
Suns to win for Joel and Mally going back home to Darwin
Go Suns

Would imagine the Hawks should be favourites for this given they’ve just beaten the Lions who we couldn’t get within 8 goals of. Will be a very good win for us should we get up. Not going to be easy by any stretch but if there’s one team I hate losing to, it’s the one with O’Cockface and Scrimsook in it.

Visually (missed one quarter, my eyes :p ), no way. I did not check stats. Maybe somebody else can confirm/disagree?
Lynch was beaten, but it wasn't as bad as the hitout numbers suggest. There were barely any clean taps that lead to clean looks that favoured anyone, if there was the other team usually got one not long after. We were so good today in the middle because of our setup to push the Brisbane mids into the contest, hold the width and outside which makes them A: easier to tackle and B: makes it easier for us to move the ball out.

He'll probably miss with concussion tho, which means Kosi probably needs to ruck... Gunston is 2 weeks away so he's no worry to return, Reeves is a TBC (depends on how well he goes through the main program) so i doubt we rush him back for this week. We probably bring in Callow to replace and then have him and Kosi try to nullify Witts as much as we can with no ruck.

PS: Day also injured, with an ankle not sure if it's the same he injured before but it looked pretty bad, i hope it's not but at this stage he's out too. Scrimshaw should be back to replace.

Lynch was beaten, but it wasn't as bad as the hitout numbers suggest. There were barely any clean taps that lead to clean looks that favoured anyone, if there was the other team usually got one not long after. We were so good today in the middle because of our setup to push the Brisbane mids into the contest, hold the width and outside which makes them A: easier to tackle and B: makes it easier for us to move the ball out.

He'll probably miss with concussion tho, which means Kosi probably needs to ruck... Gunston is 2 weeks away so he's no worry to return, Reeves is a TBC (depends on how well he goes through the main program) so i doubt we rush him back for this week. We probably bring in Callow to replace and then have him and Kosi try to nullify Witts as much as we can with no ruck.

PS: Day also injured, with an ankle not sure if it's the same he injured before but it looked pretty bad, i hope it's not but at this stage he's out too. Scrimshaw should be back to replace.
Montagna on Crack praised Lynch performance today :).

Bit surprised we’re still favourites with the bookies. I’m not feeling confident especially with Rory and Jai out of the backline.
Hawks also won’t be playing with a ruckman, Day and Scrimshaw also look unlikely. And this game being played in Darwin probably works in our favour

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0 marks in the last 3 games. This is Australian rules football where marking is an essential skill. 8 marks for the entire year.

6 possessions last week as an inside midfielder. Please explain?
Marking is a great skill if you're a forward or a defender. What value is marking for someone who's biggest strength is getting the ball out of the contest?

Got beaten up on the weekend but he's been great besides that in what is really his first year of uninterrupted football since he was drafted.

Think you're going about a year and a half too early on the 'we need to see more'

0 marks in the last 3 games. This is Australian rules football where marking is an essential skill. 8 marks for the entire year.

6 possessions last week as an inside midfielder. Please explain?
Inconsistent (due to age, experience), down game (as plenty of other players had against WB), great WB opposition inside. First two years affected by injuries, groin issue in the off-season. This is his first year as a full time inside midfielder, only 27 games.

Just read somewhere, Rowell is 1st in AFL for tackles (6.4) and 6th for contested possessions (13.5) per game. I believe he also averages 6.6 clearances.

Doing pretty well in my eyes considering the above.

Last edited:
Hawks also won’t be playing with a ruckman, Day and Scrimshaw also look unlikely. And this game being played in Darwin probably works in our favour
Day a test and Scrimshaw probably returns. Reeves a test (our no1 ruck) but it’s more unlikely than likely.

Rowell seems to be lacking some explosive speed, whether that's due to injury who knows but he's clearly focused on helping his team in the contested stuff while he works on getting that back. He is a true professional so we can rest easy knowing he will get the best out of himself and will do whatever he can to help the team. His low possession rate is due to him being purely inside the contest at the moment and also we are playing a low possession game, get it forward as quickly as possible and not chipping it around the back where a lot of midfielders make their stats look alot better.

gold-coast.jpg

The Suns will need to make a few changes for Saturday night's match against Hawthorn in Darwin, with defenders Rory Thompson (knee) and Jy Farrar (concussion) unavailable. Caleb Graham appears a nice like-for-like with Thompson, while Farrar's absence could open the door for another midfielder. Elijah Hollands continued his strong form at VFL level with 27 disposals and two goals at the weekend, while Jeremy Sharp (33 and a goal) and Sam Flanders (33) also impressed.

R10 medical substitute: Oleg Markov (replaced Rory Thompson)

Verdict: Graham and Sharp for Thompson and Farrar, pushing Lachie Weller to half-back and Sharp to the wing – Michael Whiting

Last year against the Hawks we swept the coaches votes.

10: Miller - 37 disposals, 9 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal
8: Lukosius - 27 disposals, 14 marks, 1 goal
5: King - 14 disposals, 8 marks, 4 goals
3: Ellis - 28 disposals, 10 marks, 1 goal
2: Rankine - 19 disposals, 6 marks, 4 goals
2: Swallow - 25 disposals, 7 tackles

If we can get Miller, Ellis, Rankine, Swallow all playing well again I think we're a good shot to win.

Noah Anderson with 15 touches had one of his quietest games of the year.
Looking for him to come back with an agenda against his fathers former team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back