Preview Round 14, 2019: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 22nd June, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
as i said there is not problem him getting dropped if the replacment coming in is going to perform better or on par as him what is pointless is dropping him for a low posession game and replacing him with a guy who is getting similar output at VFL level as he is getting at AFL level ... obviously if Hannas is ready and if Paton is beating down the door they push someone out but weakening the seniors to punish an underperformer is stupid
That’s my issue, by dropping him it isn’t making our seniors weaker - based on performance
Happy to be proved wrong

That’s my issue, by dropping him it isn’t making our seniors weaker - based on performance
Happy to be proved wrong
depends on the situation ... if Marshall has a run of underwhelming games does it make the team stronger putting in Alabakis to replace him? to be honest who has been performing in the VFL that has been pushing him out ?
a player running 5/10 in the AFL is always better than a player running 5/10 in the VFL...

And as previously stated, it's gotta be more than just the players. If the coaches didn't want the long bomb, they'd have weeded that **** out long ago. It's Saints Footy.

I think... I think I hate Saints Footy.
Dermie was commenting on that in the GC game. As he is now working with our forwards, hopefully he can make a difference. I do think quite often our forwards are too stagnant. Then on the other hand i have seen good leads not honored in favor of the long bomb as well

Dermie was commenting on that in the GC game. As he is now working with our forwards, hopefully he can make a difference. I do think quite often our forwards are too stagnant. Then on the other hand i have seen good leads not honored in favor of the long bomb as well

The worst ones are the ones that go to a tall defender while no Saints players are even close.

It's a little more nuanced than that.

When Savage "bombs" it into forward 50, that's exactly what it is. The ball looks like it's been dropped from the roof or a B52.

When Acres does it, it is usually flatter and therefore more dangerous. It will occasionally not make it over the player in front, but if it does it usually ends up with a score.

What I can't understand is why we trained and played two (successful) pre-season games with three key forwards then threw it out the window as soon as Paddy went down, which one way or another was probably going to happen at some stage this year, even for a week or two. Marsh has played as a third marking forward for one game, which is not much of a sample size. Now King has hurt himself playing for the wrong team (should have been in Townsville).

While playing genuine small forwards has worked, what hasn't worked is playing a bunch of the same kind of small forward (Lonie, Kent & Parker all play differently and compliment each other). We're at the stage that we have to sacrifice a bit of Gresham's midfield production so we can kick goals.

The issue with Carlisle going forward will be whether he wants to. He's a moody guy. Battle has been good and looking more like a defender rather than a guy who can take marks and kick playing in defence. Carlisle can also go into the ruck, but he might not like that.

Carsile will go wherever he is needed. It’s a team sport, no ones above anyone else. Just one of the twenty-two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This guy in the paper has Carlisle playing as a Forward

ST KILDA v BRISBANE

Saturday 22 June, 4.35pm at Marvel Stadium

PREDICTED SAINTS 22:

B: Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage

HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Nick Coffield

C: Jack Billings, Seb Ross, Blake Acres

HF: Tim Membrey, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair

F: Jade Gresham, Jake Carlisle, Matt Parker

FOLL: Rowan Marshall, Luke Dunstan, David Armitage

I/C: Dan Hannebery, Jack Newnes, Dean Kent, Nick Hind

PREDICTED LIONS 22:

B: Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

HB: Alex Witherden, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth

C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson

HF: Cam Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy

F: Charles Cameron, Daniel McStay, Lewis Taylor

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons

I/C: Nick Robertson, Zac Bailey, Rhys Mathieson, Archie Smith

Team tips: Jake Carlisle and Dan Hannebery both got through Sandringham’s VFL match and could play their first AFL game of 2019. Hunter Clark and Brandon White suffered knocks and finished the game on the bench. Nick Hind could hold his spot despite just seven touches, while David Armitage (16 disposals) was decent. Nick Coffield could be another inclusion if Clark and White don’t get up for the game. Brisbane big man Oscar McInerney has done enough to earn a recall which could force Archie Smith back to the NEAFL, while dashing defender Zac Bailey should return from injury. Jacob Allison and Noah Answerth appear the most vulnerable.

Hannebery ready to return

Like it - can someone please make "This guy in the paper" a selector.

My team of the week;

FB: B. Paton/D. Mackenzie/S. Savage
HB: B. White/J. Carsile/C. Wilkie
C: J. Newes/D. Hannebery/ J. Billings
HF: J. Battle/ J. Bruce/ D. Kent
FF: M. Parker/T. Membery/ J. Gresham
Fol: S. Ross/L. Dustan/R. Marshall
Bch: H. Clark/ B. Acres/ N. Hind/ J. Sinclair
Emer: J. Marsh/N. Coffield/ N. Brown/ R. Young

Outs:
Armo, Brown, Marsh

Ins:
Hanners, Carsile, Paton

Hanners and Carsile in the best twenty two any week. Armo makes way as he was only playing against the suns, Brown making way as we no longer need him with Cars back, if Cars doesn’t play Brown will.

I am assuming White plays if not Marsh comes in. Paton in for Marsh after a couple of low weeks. Paton has been injured and knocked on the door getting 26 at VFL level last week on the back of a good start to the year in the AFL.

Battle goes forward as he still looks more natural up there to me, sure he has his best season in defence, but A. he made he played his first game in 2017 so fairly new and B. Every time he has gone forward this year, 9.5 times out of 10 he has kicked a goal. He also sets some up, give him a week in the forward line and watch him kick 2-3, as he would most weeks. We don’t need him down there now with Cars back and I think out of the two I’d put Battle forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My team of the week;

FB: B. Paton/D. Mackenzie/S. Savage
HB: B. White/J. Carsile/C. Wilkie
C: J. Newes/D. Hannebery/ J. Billings
HF: J. Battle/ J. Bruce/ D. Kent
FF: M. Parker/T. Membery/ J. Gresham
Fol: S. Ross/L. Dustan/R. Marshall
Bch: H. Clark/ B. Acres/ N. Hind/ J. Sinclair
Emer: J. Marsh/N. Coffield/ N. Brown/ R. Young

Outs:
Armo, Brown, Marsh

Ins:
Hanners, Carsile, Paton

Hanners and Carsile in the best twenty two any week. Armo makes way as he was only playing against the suns, Brown making way as we no longer need him with Cars back, if Cars doesn’t play Brown will.

I am assuming White plays if not Marsh comes in. Paton in for Marsh after a couple of low weeks. Paton has been injured and knocked on the door getting 26 at VFL level last week on the back of a good start to the year in the AFL.

Battle goes forward as he still looks more natural up there to me, sure he has his best season in defence, but A. he made he played his first game in 2017 so fairly new and B. Every time he has gone forward this year, 9.5 times out of 10 he has kicked a goal. He also sets some up, give him a week in the forward line and watch him kick 2-3, as he would most weeks. We don’t need him down there now with Cars back and I think out of the two I’d put Battle forward.

Dunno about the whole 1 key defender idea...

Not sure about playing Armo on the ball, don't think we need him with Hannebery coming back.

I'll be annoyed if Clark is dropped after one game again.
"This guy in the paper" did say he was assuming Clark and White didn't get up.

Armo to channel his inner Luke Hodge in defense.

Since when is Carlisle a 3rd man rebounder?

Since always in my view.
Only plays man on man when absolutely necessary

He never plays on the tall fwds who are his size (lynch, daniher, brown, cox)- nat brown always plays on them.

Nor does he often play man on man (other than in a very loose way) on opposition CHF's.

His bag is taking intercept marks and rebounding like robbo.

I dont consider mcgovern a "key defender" either though (for the same reasons- doesn't really play man on man)... so maybe it's just a matter of opinion on what the term "key defender" actually means.

In my view, it seems like people incorrectly instantly equate "tall defender" with "key defender".

Just being tall and a defender- doesn't make you a key defender.

I would eventually like Brown replaced but not when they are running with 3 talls up forward
Yeah Browny is on borrowed time, but this is possibly not the week to do it.

That said, Jake on McInerney, Battle on McStay and Marsh on Hipwood could work.

I think they'll want to keep him in there though, in which case I'd be very happy for us to move Battle back to the front half.

Wonder if they bring two underdone players back at the same time though?
I think it’ll be Hanners this week and Jake next week after one more week in the twos.
No inside info at all, just my feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back