Preview Round 15, 2020: Hawthorn v Adelaide, 1 September 2020, 5.40pm AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the positives

Mitch gets another run, desperately hoping he is fit enough to play 4 quarters. He doesn't need to be BOG just a strong finish to the year to give him confidence going in to 2021. Anything extra is just a bonus.

Get to see Glass again, i had him delisted a month ago but he has slightly won me over. Hopefully he can show more in the last month and earn an extension.

Scrimshaw gets another chance to show he can fill the Sicily role, his last 2 weeks have been a shining light for the team. Still massively disrespected by neutral supporters. Reminder he is still only 21 years old.

Im absolutely speechless. Massive over reaction but after seeing these changes, playing a winless side whilst we cant play finals, I actually don't want clarko to coach. Im not even going to watch. Whats the point, if we win its with players who wont be here next year or part of our next tilt. Pretty upset about these ins
For all my complaints about the selection i am not selling out Clarko yet. He has made me look stupid before and i am sure he will do it again.

Is anyone else on this board of the opinion that Clarko and co have just written this year off as an anomaly due to the nature of the covid circumstances and our obvious horrid time we’ve had in the hubs, etc? And is just planning on staying the course with list and backing out he senior guys to the hilt, and the strategy they’ve had for 10+ years of only playing kids when they’ve absolutely slammed the door down. Seems to me the most obvious answer with all of this.
It’s my fear

İf Finn was selected in the side then everyone would be ok with the rest of the in's. I think the frustration of most of our posters comes from his non inclusion more than anything else. Hopefully his time will come. Midfield isn't an easy position to come and slot straight in, he is a long term high end prospect, so once he's deemed ready then he will be named everyweek , ımo anyway.
But yeah, I don't like this idea that losing is ok , it never is and never was.

Do I not melt enough for you?

i mean there's questioning what the club does and having a productive discussion re: the rationale for the decisions and the intended outcome, whether you assume a positive or a negative position

then there's throwing a tantrum on an internet forum

i mean there's questioning what the club does and having a productive discussion re: the rationale for the decisions and the intended outcome, whether you assume a positive or a negative position

then there's throwing a tantrum on an internet forum

Genuine question: have you ever questioned anything the HFC have done? Or do you just blindly trust everything because Hawthorn?
Nothing wrong with questioning. But there were posters here having melts during the threepete years about Hill and McEvoy getting a game each week (yes BB) and why isn’t O’Rourke and Boxer Hallahan playing? Clarko is being pretty consistent, and there’s s**t going on behind the scenes that most of us know nothing about.

Clarko says he is planning for next year and that's exactly what he is doing with the selections of CJ, Cuz, Minch, Howe, Glass and Ollie. All of them are likely still playing for their careers. A call needs to be made and a string of games is needed to determine this. Just because we as fans have either written them off or penciled them in doesn't mean the club has.

None of Stratts, Chip and Silk are contracted going forward either. Maybe they need to prove to fitness staff they deserve to be retained? Who knows?

Hartley, Day, Shiels and Frost are all contracted for next year so giving them a spell is neither here nor there in the greater scheme of things.

Morris and Finn are also both contracted for next year so as much as I'd love to have them playing it also doesn't really matter if there are others who we still need to make a call on.

Moore, Ross, Nash and Walker would be the nervous ones right now if the club feels they don't need to take a look or in the case of Nash and Moore another look at them in the seniors. In any case I hardly think any of them are the saving grace of our footy club's future like some posters seem to have convinced themselves.

Abasi yes we want to win this, losing doesn’t change anything as swans won’t win another game for the year so we are locked at where we are. Embarrassing to lose to a winless team.
Winning just pretties up this weeks picture.

We are currently in big picture mode.

Is anyone else on this board of the opinion that Clarko and co have just written this year off as an anomaly due to the nature of the covid circumstances and our obvious horrid time we’ve had in the hubs, etc? And is just planning on staying the course with list and backing out he senior guys to the hilt, and the strategy they’ve had for 10+ years of only playing kids when they’ve absolutely slammed the door down. Seems to me the most obvious answer with all of this.

If that is the case then that is just flat out dumb.
The world has changed And next season will probably be a similar model when scheduling games.
I think that the youth that is playing is pretty well maxed out when putting together a team.
The thing that gets me is the continued playing of Cegs who has been poor, Minch who didnt make the list until we hit a LTI case and then Stratton who has been horrid for all but a couple of weeks since the close of 2018 and is a shithouse captain in my book.
Who do you play.... who cares! Just not those 3 because they are horrible and We have other players that can play their role.

If we are blaming Covid (on that I believe that is has f&$ked is with a pineapple) then Hawthorn want to pull our heads out of their arse and look at the other teams flying along, developing kids, getting wins and banking for the future on a short turnaround year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t get this ‘the old players deserve one last shot to play for their career’ stance... the older players had their shot as far as I’m concerned- they’ve played all season..

Playing one last good game against a winless side in Adelaide in a meaningless game is no reason to give an older non-performing player a contract when they’ve been hopeless all year when the whips were cracking..

We need to be giving players a chance that haven’t had much of an opportunity at senior level- so we’ve actually got something to go on when making decisions on their futures..
'Last shot' was probably not the ideal phrase I was after.

We dont have Sicily next season , so in effect we are a gun defender down already for 2021.
We want the young guys eg Scrimshaw, Day , Impey ( if you want to chuck him in ) using their speed , foot skills etc as much as possible.

We will need another lockdown defender to help Frost . I dont see any of the young guys being capable of that .
So its Frawley or Stratton .
My guess is that is why they are playing and probably will still get picked.

I think its a no brainer that Frawley goes on next season due to the above.

You know this how, Zack?

Have you seen him do it? Fagan did it, Bevo did it, Hardwick did it, Cameron did it, Ratten did it, I believe Fantasia didn't and was quickly skittled but perhaps for more than that.

Clarko more than once needed to be pulled in line this year and there is nothing wrong with that, coaching is an emotional job, he more than once during premiership years needed to be. It was done. By assistants or later on when their was a plethora of administration at AFL clubs Football Director/Manager/Leads whatever. Hell even Monkey on the field giving him the Gorilla hug of love to shut the proverbial up more than once.

Clarko's had more than one incident this year, Barrett unfortunately is correct for the first time in his career... but crickets from our club's football management.

It is an issue, he's hammered umpires we were 1-11 now I believe 2-11, he's hammered the AFL, I haven't complained about our draw but a lot of ppl have made very good points its perhaps been the worst ever seen. Others previously at our club would have stopped it, or worked out mediation between groups, we've seen nothing this year. We all know previously when Clarko met Gil when mediation was sort it was the lead news footy story for weeks.

There is an issue. It needs to be sorted going forward.

Yeah, it's either tanking, or a few blokes have been tapped on the shoulder. Perfect game for Finn to debut. Shiels out too.

I'm still in the aim for a win camp, as I believe in a winners mentailty, and all it can bring to team sport. The pick will work itself out. I keep reminding myself that Bailey Smith went at pick 7.

Hard to see what their thinking with the list is.

What we do know, is that Clarko and Wright are 2 of the smartest guys in the room. Proven.

The plan will be revealed in time.

Have you seen him do it? Fagan did it, Bevo did it, Hardwick did it, Cameron did it, Ratten did it, I believe Fantasia didn't and was quickly skittled but perhaps for more than that.
Thanks for admitting that you don’t actually know.

Clarko more than once needed to be pulled in line this year and there is nothing wrong with that, coaching is an emotional job, he more than once during premiership years needed to be. It was done. By assistants or later on when their was a plethora of administration at AFL clubs Football Director/Manager/Leads whatever. Hell even Monkey on the field giving him the Gorilla hug of love to shut the proverbial up more than once.

Clarko's had more than one incident this year, Barrett unfortunately is correct for the first time in his career... but crickets from our club's football management.

It is an issue, he's hammered umpires we were 1-11 now I believe 2-11, he's hammered the AFL, I haven't complained about our draw but a lot of ppl have made very good points its perhaps been the worst ever seen. Others previously at our club would have stopped it, or worked out mediation between groups, we've seen nothing this year. We all know previously when Clarko met Gil when mediation was sort it was the lead news footy story for weeks.

There is an issue. It needs to be sorted going forward.
Mark Evans used to.

Minchington is the most baffling one, he will not be on this list next year. He is not a legend of the club and he is still holding out Moore and Walker who i have some hope over.

This is the selection I am slightly puzzled about. Haven't found him particularly inspiring to this point in time.

I agree that he probably won't be on the list for next year and it might be better to play some youth in his position.

Maybe the coaching staff know a little bit more than the rest of us.

Classic deflection.

Let's be honest, either you blindly trust everything the HFC does, or you refuse to question anything in public.

Each to their own I guess.

For mine, the club is missing a golden opportunity to see some of our kids at AFL level. Unless of course they don't rate them.
Bingo. If they were good and ready, they'd be playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back