Autopsy Round 15, 2021: Hawks floor Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoy win No. 4 again!

Excellent highlights - thanks.

I love how frequently Frost is at the bottom of the marking contest when Scrimshaw, DGB & CJ take (contested) intercept marks. Sounds silly, but it shows how well he's keeping the opposition KPF busy with bodywork, allowing our interceptors to do their thing. Obviously, there'll never be a stat for it but I reckon we'll see the difference next time he misses a game.

Yes. Very clean. Probably helps we weren’t standing in each other’s pockets at every contest.

Indeed, I was going to mention this! That goal Moore got from the centre clearance where Jaeger tapped it out wouldn't have happened earlier in the season, Titch kept to the outside of the contest which was good to see as he was able to be part of the chain moving forward. Once upon a time he'd have gone for the ball on the ground and we'd have been 2 down on the spread.

Indeed, I was going to mention this! That goal Moore got from the centre clearance where Jaeger tapped it out wouldn't have happened earlier in the season, Titch kept to the outside of the contest which was good to see as he was able to be part of the chain moving forward. Once upon a time he'd have gone for the ball on the ground and we'd have been 2 down on the spread.
I thought that was quite noticeable where he was almost the outside mid during a lot of the contests. Our spread from the contest was much much better.

yep Tom's role has distinctly changed again since the bye (though I think it actually started against Carlton), even after a role change at the start of the year. Him and the team look much better for it. He's playing off a high-forward flank a lot. Had the same CBA as Newcombe at 50-odd per cent, which is very low for Titch. By contrast, JOM was 82% and Worps 71%.

His Kick:Handball ratio has also swung a lot from being 1:2 in the first 10 rounds to being much closer to 1:1 since the Carltank game.

Shiels also played exclusively wing, without a single CBA according to the AFL website, though obviously he contested throw ins and stoppages around the ground.

There has clearly been a conscious effort to mix up the structure of the mids, which was something we focussed on at the start of the year but because of injury (to JOM), lack of confidence (Worps, Howe and Shiels), no real outside mids other than Harry etc. we seemed to revert back to the rigid, inflexibile midfield set up of Tom, Jom, Worps, with Chad and Breust ocassionally running through. Ceglar coming back in and playing well is a huge part of that too, and hopefully when Reeves is our FT ruck that's something he can provide too.

With JOM back, Worps, Howe and Shiels playing with confidence, Titch excelling in his new role and Bramble, Newcombe and Moore (9 goals in his last 4 games) providing a bit of a different look inside, we are finally taking action against the issue that's plagued our midfield since 2019 instead of acknowledging it but falling back into bad habits.

Our midfield is still a bit one-dimensional particularly on the outside, but we're starting to see the plan unfurl. We know Clarko loves players that can play in two positions, and it was only a matter of time before something finally started to stick with our mids. A long way to go, but the issue and solution are becoming more and more obvious.

The inclusions of Day, Newcombe, Bramble and DGB coupled with only 1 key forward paired with the resting ruck has completely changed the way this team plays.

A lot of 2018 and late 2019 about this side in the last 3 weeks. Getting the absolute most out of themselves and playing beautifully structured footy. The major difference being that our future outlook is far brighter now our stars of tomorrow ate the ones lifting us and we have a delicious upcoming draft hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the reply again and excited by the backs in particular. Hartigan and Frost aggression superb and Denver looks like an absolute beauty, no fear and great intercepting mark. Scrimshaw composed and a gun. Jiath run unreal. Day, well a superstar in the making as love the way he always look to always move the ball forward with skill, run and carry. Ceglar and Worpel born again. Mcevoy a brave soldier. Morris I watched at Box Hill and thought he had something and yes he does my loyal siars. Bramble, embarrassed to initially not know who he was, but looks to have real potential. I reckon with Sicily returning next year we have a backline here in the making here to be the best in the AFL. You can see now what is now evolving and Clarko is a master, so bewildered why Caroline Wilson keeps saying he is going next year? She is a moron. Sam Mitchell may have a lot of potential but hello, we have a four time premiership coach who is committed to Hawthorn to win another flag and perhaps we can now see the future; add a few high draft picks to the mix and I'm genuinely excited and quite optimistic for the future.
I agree.

I didn't notice Hartigan much during the game, but watching the replay I thought he was excellent.

A lot of 2018 and late 2019 about this side in the last 3 weeks. Getting the absolute most out of themselves and playing beautifully structured footy. The major difference being that our future outlook is far brighter now our stars of tomorrow ate the ones lifting us and we have a delicious upcoming draft hand.

Very interesting choice of words, Hannibal.

Excellent highlights - thanks.

I love how frequently Frost is at the bottom of the marking contest when Scrimshaw, DGB & CJ take (contested) intercept marks. Sounds silly, but it shows how well he's keeping the opposition KPF busy with bodywork, allowing our interceptors to do their thing. Obviously, there'll never be a stat for it but I reckon we'll see the difference next time he misses a game.

Good observation! So true.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still have no clue why that pack mark wasn’t paid to DGB. Ive watched it 10 times and can’t work it out.

The umpire paid it over the shoulder but I genuinely can't see where anything got the bloke over the shoulder.

The umpire paid it over the shoulder but I genuinely can't see where anything got the bloke over the shoulder.

It was a disgraceful decision plain and simple and believe there was another one I recall on the near side wing for a contested mark that the umpire paid a bulls... free against us. Others may remember who it was, but I sadly pulled another clump of my hair out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back