Prediction Round 16 Port Changes vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

If Garner is dropped over Bonner I'll have a mild melt.

On what planet is Bonner in the side over Garner? * off Ken.

I swear Sam Gray lives under Kens desk giving all day gobbies as well.

Motlop...lol

Wait, Ken dropped a defender and didn’t bring 2 in to replace him?

Howard is playing defence again, isn’t he? 🤬

Completely unrelated, but watching some Joel Garner highlights on the cricket halftime filler. Guys, I think he is a tall defender...

Did that to butcher. Did that to Salter.

Motlop.

Hahahajaja

Bwahajajajan

Hajajakahakakakhahajaja. Bigger gold pass than the jokery depths of Chico or Primus.

I truly like Sam Gray, but we are now past Kane Mitchell level of what are we achieving here. And motlop is just hilarious.

Anyway, I don't give a flying. Hope we get SMASHED. Get that imposter out of the club

Yeah takes dangerous near goals Motlop and tries to play him in the centre as if he’s peak Chris Judd

Trades for a 203cm 105kg behemoth key forward and makes him run a marathon up the wing every week.

Takes a 198cm impossible to match up on wingman and plays him forward, where key defenders easily match him.

Repeatedly picks sub 177cm guys (neade/Sam Gray) who are better around half forward and plays them as isolated marking targets in forward 50

Uncovers a crafty speedy skilled small forward in Farrell, then proceeds to isolate him 1 on 1 and play to his weaknesses, then play him as a negating tagging forward.

Moves boak into a half forward role where he looks nearly finished for an entire year.

Plays 2 rucks in paddy and lobbe despite it being obvious both are suited to first ruck and it’s not working.

Again plays 2 rucks both suited to being 1st ruck. Who could have guessed. Déjà vu.

Picks Howard as a forward. Now he’s a ruck. Now he’s a defender. Now he’s a forward. Wonder why Howard isn’t developing into the Star he could be?

Recruits an inside mid in Rockliff. Plays Ebert (a now redundant mid in a sea of slow inside ballwinners) in centre for an entire year despite the fact he is averaging 20d.

Moves Ebert to the forward line for 2019. At least he should be an upgrade on Sam Gray. Still plays Sam Gray.

The evidence that Hinkley is a buffoon with no understanding of football at all is overwhelming. Clearly “work hard enough” is hinkleys “do you concur”
Of decaprios Doctor in Catch Me If You Can.

Yeah takes dangerous near goals Motlop and tries to play him in the centre as if he’s peak Chris Judd

Trades for a 203cm 105kg behemoth key forward and makes him run a marathon up the wing every week.

Takes a 198cm impossible to match up on wingman and plays him forward, where key defenders easily match him.

Repeatedly picks sub 177cm guys (neade/Sam Gray) who are better around half forward and plays them as isolated marking targets in forward 50

Uncovers a crafty speedy skilled small forward in Farrell, then proceeds to isolate him 1 on 1 and play to his weaknesses, then play him as a negating tagging forward.

Moves boak into a half forward role where he looks nearly finished for an entire year.

Plays 2 rucks in paddy and lobbe despite it being obvious both are suited to first ruck and it’s not working.

Again plays 2 rucks both suited to being 1st ruck. Who could have guessed. Déjà vu.

Picks Howard as a forward. Now he’s a ruck. Now he’s a defender. Now he’s a forward. Wonder why Howard isn’t developing into the Star he could be?

Recruits an inside mid in Rockliff. Plays Ebert (a now redundant mid in a sea of slow inside ballwinners) in centre for an entire year despite the fact he is averaging 20d.

Moves Ebert to the forward line for 2019. At least he should be an upgrade on Sam Gray. Still plays Sam Gray.

The evidence that Hinkley is a buffoon with no understanding of football at all is overwhelming. Clearly “work hard enough” is hinkleys “do you concur”
Of decaprios Doctor in Catch Me If You Can.
Completely concur except the use of buffoon as a descriptor for Ken - there is nothing amusing about what he is doing to our football club.

Lycett needs the role of being the solitary ruck to perform at his best. He thrives on the idea that he is the leader of the midfield. That's why playing anyone other than Hayes, who can play forward and give Lycett a chop out while still learning the role, is a waste of time.

The only way you'd be able to get a great performance out of him while playing a two ruck system would be to make him captain, because then he'd feel empowered that he was resting forward due to a team role rather than because the coach feels he can't ruck an entire game.

Players who were dropped:

Kane Farrell - 4 disposals, 2 contested possessions
Joel Garner - 9 disposals, 3 contested possessions
Willem Drew - 10 disposals, 5 contested possessions

The only one who was unlucky was Ladhams, who had 9 contested possessions. When Riley Bonner has more contested possessions than you (6), something is really wrong.
And where are the stats for Garner backing up hard into packs, throwing himself into contests, looking composed, reliable etc with the ball whilst at least half his mates so obviously were still dealing with the afterglow of the previous week?

If we were playing a final this week I'd have Ryder in our side over majority of the Squad. Oh wait this game is pretty much a final for us as I can only see us winning 3 or 4 games max other than this.

I was very happy with Lycett round 1 vs Melbourne, and last week vs Geelong, other than that we have won the centre bounce better with Ryder in the middle
Ryder was finished over 12 months ago. Had all of 2018 to lead the ruck and let us down several times.

As far as our SANFL team goes I hope Ladhams rucks most of the time. Ryder should be rucking for East Freo in 2020.

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hinkley is just a s**t coach.

Farrell tears a team a new arsehole and before the whistle goes ken isolates him (a speedy smart forward with a great kick) 1 on 1 in the goal square. Totally ignoring that 1 on 1 standing under a high ball is the opposite of what Farrell is good at.

Then proceeds to give him assignments as a lock down forward defender.

Then drops him.

I’m baffled how he gets dressed in the morning.
Not to mention our most reliable shot at goal

Only players in our squad I'd pick ahead of Ryder, right now is Robbie Gray, Charlie Dixon and Travis Boak. Ryder is on that level. Everyone saying he is no longer important has no idea, play him number one ruck and you will see. He single handedly got us back into the last Showdown when we threw him in the ruck in the last quarter.

He still has his All Australian ability as a ruck, he is just not a competent forward. The question is would you all want to play a potential All Australian in the ruck for the magpies
If we were playing a final this week I'd have Ryder in our side over majority of the Squad. Oh wait this game is pretty much a final for us as I can only see us winning 3 or 4 games max other than this.

I was very happy with Lycett round 1 vs Melbourne, and last week vs Geelong, other than that we have won the centre bounce better with Ryder in the middle

Players who were dropped:

Kane Farrell - 4 disposals, 2 contested possessions
Joel Garner - 9 disposals, 3 contested possessions
Willem Drew - 10 disposals, 5 contested possessions

The only one who was unlucky was Ladhams, who had 9 contested possessions. When Riley Bonner has more contested possessions than you (6), something is really wrong.

If it wasn't for Garner, the game last week would've been over on the first 10 minutes instead of us staying "close" until the last quarter.
Thought he would've been an ideal match up for Betts who Ken has proven time & time again that he and no answer for.

But nooooo. Let's keep spud Jonas in the team so he can kick it to the oppo and have next to no impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week's selection highlights just how wrong last week's selection was. Hinkley and Co obviously underated last week's opposition and decided on a few wake up calls despite being down two first choice players due to suspension. This week Ken and Co have corrected their error by replacing four of last week's less experienced replacements with the old guard.

The question is will those who spent last week in the SANFL respond ?

Personally I tnink the damage has already been done and even an unexpected win this week will not save our 2019 campaign, but go the Power anyway.

Just impossible to have any confidence going into this game yet we have arguably our strongest side in.

If I'm building a house and after 7 years we're still talking about getting the foundations right, I'm long since looking for a new builder.

In the meantime in SA atm your first builder has probably gone bust. QED. :)

Saw the following truck parked outside Alberton Oval the other day.

Dodgey Bros. Licenced Builders. K Hinkley prop. B Lic O410E.

Ryder was finished over 12 months ago. Had all of 2018 to lead the ruck and let us down several times.

As far as our SANFL team goes I hope Ladhams rucks most of the time. Ryder should be rucking for East Freo in 2020.

Down boy, down Ross.

I would be happier to see Ryder remain on our list and carry the Magpies to an SANFL Premiership in 2020. Paddy still has some useful footy left as a backup to Lycett, Ladhams and Hayes. Paddy's best is behind him for sure but we have kept bigger spuds than an aging Paddy Ryder on our list over the years.

If it wasn't for Garner, the game last week would've been over on the first 10 minutes instead of us staying "close" until the last quarter.
Thought he would've been an ideal match up for Betts who Ken has proven time & time again that he and no answer for.

But nooooo. Let's keep spud Jonas in the team so he can kick it to the oppo and have next to no impact.

And you know this exactly how? How do you know what Garner’s role in the team was, what he was actually asked to do and whether he was keeping the game close?

I’m not saying he wasn’t, but if he’s being dropped after two matches - like he was for Hawthorn after his debut - doesn’t that tell you that there is a fundamental flaw in his game?

If you look at where the defenders got their possessions, there’s a correlation between Byrne-Jones, Clurey and Bonner getting most of their possessions on the same wing - in exactly the same location (on the left hand boundary) - that Garner was on at half back when we were pushing up the ground.

Hartlett, Burton and Jonas were more evenly spread, with Burton and Jonas on the opposite side of the ground.

So it took four defenders on one side to try to do what two were doing on the other.

The question I have is - what was Garner doing pushing up to a wing (he got 3 of his possessions there) when Bonner was stuck in defence? It should have been the other way around.

Digital archaeologists may come to that conclusion in 2000 years after an intensive attempt to decode it not unlike the Rosetta Stone, sure.
In 30 years I wonder if HBO will make a miniseries titled “Hinkley”

The series starts with an aged and defeated KT recording his thoughts on cassette ...

Are we still talking about Joel Garner? He wasn't on our list 7 years ago.

Oh, you were making an unrelated point about Ken Hinkley. That's more like a builder who was given a rundown house 7 years ago, tried to fix it up over four years, realised that the foundations were poor and the beams were eaten away by termites and is now in the process of knocking down a room at a time because he still needs a place to live.

I thought you hated Bonner?

Surely Garner provides more than Bonner in your eyes

Garner is one of those players where stats dont tell the whole story. His pressure and attack places pressure on the opposition, denying them the ball and upsetting their forward movement.

Farrell on the other hand, although efficient, does require more possessions to impact the game. 10 or more possessions might result in 4+ goals but 4 possessions just isnt going to cut it.
Garner strikes me as a player that will adjust to the extra pace of afl if given enough time but he needs that time. I'm confident he will become a solid defender for us when he gets a consistent opportunity.

I thought you hated Bonner?

Surely Garner provides more than Bonner in your eyes

I don’t hate any Port Adelaide player. I just want them to go out and do their job.

Garner will be a better player, but obviously he hasn’t performed to the level required.

Look on the bright side - he’ll qualify for SANFL finals if he plays another two games for the Magpies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back