Preview Round 16 v Brisbane @ Gabba Thursday 29th June 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we're back, after a week off for the bye, we front up for our 3rd interstate trip in 4 games, this time heading to the Gabba, to face the side who knocked us out of the 2022 finals by 2 points in a game where the AFL still haven't provided definitive proof that Lynchs shot was a point.

The Lions will be heading into this game chock full of confidence after knocking off the Saints at Marvel on Friday night. The Lions looked quite good against the Saints, controlling the game from early on and gradually ran out, comfortable 28 point winners. Lachie Neale had it 29 times despite being tagged & Josh Dunkley had it 26 times to lead the Lions midfield, while Harris Andrews 21 times with at least 10 intercept marks to control things down back for the Lions. Up forward Hipwood kicked 4.1 with Daniher contributing 2 himself. Worryingly Charlie Cameron has been quite the last 2 weeks only kicking 1 goal, so will no doubt be looking to get back to form.

As for us we're coming into the game off the back of 3 straight wins, which has got our season back on track for what would be an unlikely finals appearance given where we were on the ladder a few weeks back. We will head into this game hopefully strengthened by the returns of Jacob Hopper who has recovered from a calf strain, while Marlion Pickett will be available for selection again after missing the Saints game due to off field issues. What that will mean to the way we line up will be interesting because with Hopper out the last few weeks we've returned to the old campaigners to get the job done with the likes of Cotchin Prestia & Martin spending more time in the middle in support of Taranto, which has seemingly unlocked out midfield which has become more threatening in the forward half, while also limiting the impact of the oppositions midfielders.

The first problem we will have to overcome is that every side that has come back from the bye has looked off the pace with only the Saints having won a game and that was because they played Sydney who were also coming off the bye, which was a horrible game to watch for the first half as both teams struggled to get going. So we will need to be fully switched on and ready to go when we hit the Gabba if we want to be in with a chance of winning.

The other problem that we face is that as mentioned the Lions seem to have found their mojo after a surprise loss to the Hawks 3 weeks ago, when coming off their bye. Since then they beat Sydney at the Gabba and the Saints as mentioned and did so by controlling the air in their back half which stopped the opposition in their tracks. Fortunately though our conversion from I50s has been among the best in the league over the last month and we will be looking to continue that against the Lions. That will mean we need to ensure that Andrews isn't in position to intercept mark or even gather intercept possessions from poor entries into our F50. I expect the Lions will try and get Payne on to Riewoldt to allow Andrews to go to Miller/Ryan who line up as the 2nd forward. This is where the return of Pickett could come in handy, if we can get Pickett to go to Andrews and ensure that the ball at least comes to ground it could create opportunities for our ground level players to come into the play.

Down back we will have our work cut out for us, with both Daniher and Hipwood in good form, while the likes of Rayner McCarthy Cameron & Bailey can hit the scoreboard quickly if given time and space. That means the back line of Balta Young Grimes Broad Vlastuin Short & Rioli will need at their best because if the Lions get on a roll the game could be over quickly, especially if we're off like every other side has been so far coming off the bye.

The midfield shapes as a fantastic battle, with 2 of the best recruits for this year in Taranto & Dunkley are likely to go head to head with supporting casts full of talent. We should have the likes of Martin Bolton Prestia Cotchin Hopper McIntojsh & Ross rolling through, while the Lions will have Neale Ashcroft Rayner Berry McCluggage Robertson & Zorko. Regardless of what some of you may think about the Lions players personally, they are a formidable midfield group and on their home deck will be looking at keeping their charge for a top 4 spot rolling.

Possible Line Up:
Out: Ryan (inj) Ralphsmith M.Rioli
In: Pickett Hopper

B: Broad Grimes Balta
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Short
C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
HF: Cotchin Baker Graham
F: Pickett Martin Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Prestia Bolton
INT: Hopper Clarke Miller Young
EMG: M.Rioli Ralphsmith Banks Brown

Who the * drafted this fixture?
Gils parting gift

After this week we're back Thursday night against Sydney in Melbourne, then over to Perth again for WCE. 4 interstate trips in 7 weeks is a fair dose of no lube love from AFL house.

Then we finish with 2 MCG, 2 Marvel, MCG & Adelaide to round out the year.

Animated GIF

It's kinda ironic how we love the "We are everyone's Grand Final" line because this week - it's actually ours.

Very hard to beat Brisbane at the Gabba but I feel this is the one game we must win if there's any chance of finals.

Brisbane -19.5 points line with the bookies which sounds about right to me... It's going to be tough

Both teams in very good form but I'd be much more confident with Lynch.

Don’t think a single bye team defeated a non-bye team so far this season. Hopefully we change that if Hawthorn don’t beat Gold Coast.

There are two ways you can look at this game:
1. It’s a straight loss given that none (including top 4 teams) defeated Brisbane in Queensland this season.
2. Brisbane are due for a home loss.

Brisbane in Brisbane is probably most difficult interstate trip this season along with Adelaide in Adelaide. Yet, we’re the only team that defeated Adelaide away comfortably (Collingwood only won by 1 point). Perhaps that’ll give us the confidence to win.

Gils parting gift

After this week we're back Thursday night against Sydney in Melbourne, then over to Perth again for WCE. 4 interstate trips in 7 weeks is a fair dose of no lube love from AFL house.

Then we finish with 2 MCG, 2 Marvel, MCG & Adelaide to round out the year.
Fortunately our boys seem to like travelling.

Win this one and we'll play finals. Huge game.

It's kinda ironic how we love the "We are everyone's Grand Final" line because this week - it's actually ours.

Very hard to beat Brisbane at the Gabba but I feel this is the one game we must win if there's any chance of finals.

Brisbane -19.5 points line with the bookies which sounds about right to me... It's going to be tough

Both teams in very good form but I'd be much more confident with Lynch.
Big game this week given the other matches taking place between teams we are jousting with for a spot in the bottom half of the eight
Just need to take care of business and hope for other results to fall our way
Doesn’t help the swans picking up 16% last night 🤦‍♂️

Our track record on this ground is pretty good despite the fact WE lost it last year, bears didn’t win it.
Bolton, dusty and nank excel on this deck and don’t underestimate the return of Pickett and Hopper.
We’ve had cracking interstate form to date and that’s in part to our ability to convert most shots at goal
creating scoreboard pressure that we inexplicably struggle to do at the G.
Balta should do a number on one dimensional Daniher and if Graham can restrict Neale to a handful, reckon we’re a chance.
Tigs by 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the tigers are serious about season 2023, This is a win game. Send signals.

Tiges beat top four sides.

Home ground is not in play as either advantage or disadvantage.

A week off only makes the team better.

Have learnt and progressed from the last bears game.

Big game this week given the other matches taking place between teams we are jousting with for a spot in the bottom half of the eight
Just need to take care of business and hope for other results to fall our way
Doesn’t help the swans picking up 16% last night 🤦‍♂️
We have the Draw so Swans percentage is irrelevant.

Don’t think a single bye team defeated a non-bye team so far this season. Hopefully we change that if Hawthorn don’t beat Gold Coast.

There are two ways you can look at this game:
1. It’s a straight loss given that none (including top 4 teams) defeated Brisbane in Queensland this season.
2. Brisbane are due for a home loss.

Brisbane in Brisbane is probably most difficult interstate trip this season along with Adelaide in Adelaide. Yet, we’re the only team that defeated Adelaide away comfortably (Collingwood only won by 1 point). Perhaps that’ll give us the confidence to win.
Am I the only person that was not impressed with Brisbanes win over Stkilda. I truely believe they are beatable. Last few weeks they lost to Hawthorn, beat Sydney and Stkilda wow

Am I the only person that was not impressed with Brisbanes win over Stkilda. I truely believe they are beatable. Last few weeks they lost to Hawthorn, beat Sydney and Stkilda wow
we will prob play shite after the bye again

Yeah you’re right, they weren’t that impressive. They also weren’t impressive against Sydney the week before either. Nor the week before that in their loss against Hawthorn, or their loss against Adelaide in Adelaide just before the bye.

It’s been a while since they played decently, so we have an opportunity to expose them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back