Round 16 - v Brisbane (Sat 7.40 p.m)

Remove this Banner Ad

With Stevens out hopefully Newnes or Ross might come in? Also potentially Peake, to try regain some speed (not that we're running short on it). Any1 no how Peakes been playing at Sandy?'

Also having just done the bailey ladder predictor on the afl website, i've found that we should finish 7th or 8th (if i take out a bit of bias), with either percentage or 1 win separating us from 9th and 10th spot, meaning this is a must win game for us wit a loss this round sending us to eleventh position.

I don't know too much abut the lions squad, but I know they havent had bad form at the G recently so we'll have to give it our best, none of that 2 and a half quarters crap from a few weeks back.

With Stevens out hopefully Newnes or Ross might come in? Also potentially Peake, to try regain some speed (not that we're running short on it). Any1 no how Peakes been playing at Sandy?'

Also having just done the bailey ladder predictor on the afl website, i've found that we should finish 7th or 8th (if i take out a bit of bias), with either percentage or 1 win separating us from 9th and 10th spot, meaning this is a must win game for us wit a loss this round sending us to eleventh position.

I don't know too much abut the lions squad, but I know they havent had bad form at the G recently so we'll have to give it our best, none of that 2 and a half quarters crap from a few weeks back.

With who out?

Looking at the list again, I'd almost be prepared to try using Schneider in Steven's role as his bulk, groundwork and delivery meet requirements. Bit concerned about his fitness and speed burst so soon after extensive time off plus the bye, though.

I know everyone's loathe to play Peake again, but if Montagna were put in Steven's spot instead, Peake could be given a chance in Brisbane. He's used to travel, heat and hard grounds after time in Perth, and we know he's got pace to play the run/link role.

Just don't see us blooding a kid in Brisbane, to be honest.

I think for Steven's sake, it'd be good to blood a youngster, and it won't hurt the team that much. I think it'll just keep Jack on his toes a little.

Ledger or Ross for mine - a similar ball-winning player to Jack, and might just make him regret his actions that LITTLE bit more.

OUT: steven (susp), fisher (rested), milne (rested)
IN: cripps, clarke, polo

Hopefully this was written with your tongue in your cheek.

The LAST thing we need to do is to take the Lions for granted. The difference between smashing Essendon and being beaten easily by North is small. If we drop off intensity, desire, passion and rest needed players, we will suffer accordingly.

Each match is to be taken seriously, irrespective of the opposition. The season is far, far too even to start juggling. This is the time for the Saints to be trying for consistency, for players to get further time, with those who will carry us through in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right on. We are on the knife edge, and everybody knows it. Keep winning, we will be one of the most dangerous 8th sides in the history of the game. Lose one - ONE - game, and we are out of it. We've used up all our luxury loss points for the year. No fiddling allowed.

OUT: steven (susp), fisher (rested), milne (rested)
IN: cripps, clarke, polo

Please tell me you're kidding.

We can't afford to take Brisbane lightly and rest some of our most important players, we're already missing Goddard and Steven.

Even if we do rest players I wouldn't be bringing in Clarke and Polo.

Ignoring the recent match against Sydney, Brisbane have been impressive the last month. St.Kilda need to be on their A-game or they will lose.

Ignoring the recent match against Sydney, Brisbane have been impressive the last month. St.Kilda need to be on their A-game or they will lose.

Absolutely, I hope they all finished celebrating Milney's 250th and the win over Essendon on Saturday night ( or Sunday morning Jack ).
We have lost enough winnable games this season.

This is a real danger game guys. Brisbane is in red hot form and strong all over the ground now. They got touched up by the hawks and swans in the last 6 weeks but the thing is especially in the swans game they couldn't do a thing to stop Sydney as their disposal, attack and defense was as good as it gets. They beat West Coast at home and there isn't much between us overall this year so clearly this shows us the game is near line ball in the context of the season.

Losing Steven this week is a real kick in the guts as we can't afford to lose a runner in a game like this. I know what he did but this is where the club had to be professional and NOT drop him. Our season is on a razors edge sitting 7-7 and while i have penciled in 4 almost certain wins in our remaining 8 games this wasn't one of them and we needed to win 2 of the other 4

Whats done is done now so can't be taken back but again i hope the players realise what a test this is going to be. Brisbanes chances of making the finals will be closed if they dont win this week so they will come out all guns blazing doing everything to secure a win.

Great win over Essendon and sure celebrate but i'm just as worried by the lack of effort by a number of our players on a consistant basis going into this game. EVERYONE needs to lift and give everything once again if they want any chance at a flag this year. Every game from here on out is a finals game and EVERYONE needs to do their part.

Defensive pressure again will be the difference between us winning and losing and the big question from me is will everyone chase, tackle and do the 1%ers required for us to fend off a desperate lions team.

Far more confident last week as i knew a number of players and the team in general i guess were under the pump but now i'm mighty worried they'll go into this game with a half assed attitude.

I want Peake to come in this week. We need a good runner and he should be hungry to perform. Tell him its his last year unless he performs to expectations just like GRAM and KOSI should have also got this memo.

This is what i mean by everyone performing... with the same intensity that is shown in this clip

According to Grammy on Twitter, he's sounding a tad sick at the moment, so may struggle to get up.

Hope he stays away from the club for few days and Fisher moves out for couple days!

Preview: Brisbane Lions v St Kilda
By Michael Whiting and Luke Holmesby

A month ago, this looked to be a run-of-the-mill mid-season fixture, but now it has some serious repercussions for both teams. St Kilda (7-7) is clinging to eighth spot on percentage after thumping Essendon last weekend, while the Lions' (6-8) heavy loss to the Swans dropped them a win outside the finals action. Respective skippers Nick Riewoldt and Jonathan Brown have recaptured something close to their best form and may help decide the outcome. Either way we should have a clearer picture of both teams' finals aspirations after Saturday night.

THE FOUR POINTS

Brisbane Lions
1. Who gets Riewoldt? The Lion best equipped to match Riewoldt's running power is Niall McKeever, but the Irishman was toweled up by Swan Sam Reid last week. If Michael Voss isn't comfortable with McKeever doing the job on the blonde Queenslander, versatile Joel Patfull is the likely match-up despite being slightly undersized. Look for a spare man to help out.

2. For the second week in succession, it won't just be the big men that stretch the Lions' defence, with Ash McGrath's season-ending hamstring injury compounding Mitch Golby's foot problem. The Saints are littered with nimble small forwards who can change the game, which may bring in-form Pearce Hanley back from the wing to half-back for more of a stopping role.

3. Slowly but surely the Lions are starting to regain their swagger at the Gabba. They are 4-3 at home for the season and have won three straight against GWS, West Coast and Melbourne. Conversely St Kilda is 1-3 for its interstate matches, with its only victory coming against the winless Gold Coast.

4. Dayne Zorko's phenomenal entry to the AFL continued against the Swans last week with the 23-year-old racking up career highs in both disposals (31) and marks (10). His average of 20 touches, six marks, six tackles and a goal over his nine games has comfortably offset the absence of injured small forward Todd Banfield who is now making his way back through the reserves.

St Kilda
1. The Saints haven't won two consecutive games since their round two and three wins over the Suns and the Bulldogs. They need to build momentum if they are going to contest for one of the highly sought-after spots in the bottom half of the eight.

2. Jack Steven's club-imposed suspension for drink-driving was the only sour note to come from the weekend and his absence will be felt in the midfield. Brendon Goddard is also a week away from returning from his suspension so the St Kilda engine room is lacking a bit of depth.

3. The Saints' back line held up well against Essendon last week but an early injury to Michael Hurley may have brought a sigh of relief. The Saints face Jonathan Brown this week and he looms as the most dangerous prospect in the Lions' arsenal. St Kilda doesn't have a big bodied defender with a similar physicality to Brown so they may have to double-team him.

4. St Kilda's forward line is fast becoming one of the most difficult to match up on. Nick Riewoldt and Stephen Milne are as dangerous as they have ever been in their long careers, while Justin Koschitzke and Adam Schneider were both impressive against Essendon while Beau Wilkes showed his value as a depth player. The Lions will have their hands full trying to plan their defensive strategy.

AFL.com.au prediction: Brisbane Lions by two points

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/141007/default.aspx

Their "Four Points" section seems to be largely spot on, however they make out our interstate record to be worse than it actually is. Sure we're 1-3, but that involves two 4 point losses (one of which against a top 4 side in Adelaide), and we came close to beating the Eagles off a six-day break and having only Koschitzke and Blake to go up against the best ruck duo by a mile for almost the entire game.

And I can't say I agree with their prediction, either. Brisbane were easily beaten by Sydney whilst we destroyed Essendon. Short memories? And I wouldn't say that Brisbane have a massive advantage at home; West Coast were a good scalp, but it's common knowledge that they fail to travel well anywhere in the country.

St Kilda will look to put back to back wins on board for first time since Round 2 & 3 when they face Brisbane up at GABBA this Saturday Night.

The Saints will be looking to keep build on their win last week and put in another 4 quarter performance. Last week they were able to slow the game down and limit supply to the Bombers forwards. It was a reminder to entire competition that the Saints are capable of beating the best on their day. But as all Saints fans know these games they are expected to win are the ones the normally drop.

Brisbane have been in good form recently, knocking off the then top of ladder West Coast a few weeks ago, but then crashed back to earth against Sydney on weekend. However there is no easy game when you face Lions on their own territory. Jonothan Brown is in great form and young guns Tom Rockliff and Dayne Zorko just collecting possessions and making opposition pay if they don’t pay them close attention.

MEDICAL ROOM
Rhys Stanley (hamstring 4-5 weeks), Jason Blake (ankle 4-5 weeks), Warrick Andreoli (shoulder) are only Saints on injury list at moment (may change tonight when it’s updated) but there will be concerns around Ahmed Saad who was somewhat limited by knee complaint.

KEY MATCH UPS

Clint Jones vs Tom Rockliff – Think Rockliff is one keys to Lions success this year, if you can stop him from having impact then it seems you’ll normally win game. Jones would be logical matchup although he could get job on gun mature aged recruit Dayne Zorko.

Nick Riewoldt vs Joel Patful – Its hard to gauge who Lions will put on Riewoldt, if Patful gets job then expect them to try play loose man in defence to help up and be 3rd man up at every contest. Daniel Merrett has been playing up forward but maybe needed down back to help out if Saints play 3 tall forwards again.

Sean Dempster vs Pearce Hanley – Left field matchup here, but Hanley is so damaging running off Lions backline and through middle that believe he warrants getting shut down. Think Dempster is perfect as he can be damaging other way. Issue is Saints lose bit run off their own backline.

CHANGES

After a thumping 71 point win it’s safe to assume there wouldn’t be any changes, but young gun Jack Steven has been handed a club imposed one match ban for getting heavily on turps after the win and driving to recovery next morning whilst still over the limit. Brendon Goddard is still has to serve one more match. There have been plenty players putting their hand up in VFL in last few weeks so finding player in form wont be hard, but issue is Sandringham had bye last week so it might rule Jack Newnes out as he’s hasn’t played game for about 5 weeks.

Brett Peake might be ideal replacement for Steven, given he adds pace to team that we lose via Steven. Has been in solid form in VFL and Watters will probably want to see what he can give before end of season.

Seb Ross is another that Scott Watters has hinted he wants to get a game or two into before end of season so wouldn’t be surprised to see him given a run this weekend.

Jason Gram tweeted on Tuesday morning that he was violently sick (maybe gastro?) so hopefully he is right to go for his 150th game.

IN THE MIX: Seb Ross, Daniel Markworth, Brett Peake, Tom Ledger, Jamie Cripps

Saints by 24 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back