Review Round 17, 2021 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo are entering their forward line with low penetrating kicks

Forgive my failing memory but wasn't there a game of ours when we employed this tactic, and won, in the past few years?

Against West Coast I think.

Is there a rule that says you're only allowed to use it once or something?

Forgive my failing memory but wasn't there a game of ours when we employed this tactic, and won, in the past few years?

Against West Coast I think.

Is there a rule that says you're only allowed to use it once or something?

The game in the wet at Optus? I'm thinking those scrubber kicks in the forward line that Rozee were able to scoop up were more by accident than design.

Winning %

• Port @ AO (2014-Pres)*: 60.2%

• WCE @ Optus (2018-Pres)**: 79.0%

• Brisbane @ Gabba (2019-Pres)***: 83.8%

*Redevelopment opened
**Stadium opened
***Premiership window re-opened

Spread the word. Unless you’re Gold Coast or North, you’re like a 50/50 shot of getting the W here.

For reference,

• Port 01-04 @ FP: 85.4%
• Port 01-05 @ FP: 80.8%
• Port 01-07 @ FP: 73.4%

For reference,

• Port 01-04 @ FP: 85.4%
• Port 01-05 @ FP: 80.8%
• Port 01-07 @ FP: 73.4%

Alyx these are some good stats for your WWPA project.

To blame spp for that is poor. The umpire was pathetic. So you can pummel a guy and give away 50 but you can push someone to stick up for a team mate.
Embarrassing umpiring

What planet are you from?
The umpire wasn't pathetic. You can't pummel a guy - that's why a 50 metre was awarded which would have resulted in a shot on goal.
And you can't come in 'sticking up for a team mate' and slam into him pushing him to the ground.

We have had free kicks overturned 3/4 times this year when our players have stupidly 'stuck up for a mate' (this was the second time this year SPP has done it) and in all of those occasions it has cost us a shot on goal.

You know, when Hammer did it earlier in the year, many on this board was calling for him to it dropped.
SPP has now done the same stupid thing twice in 3 weeks...

It's bother me to see him run around the Maggies next week...
(As long as Bonner doesn't back in. Been watching the Port vs Norwood game today - he's been awful)

Not really, Boak got destroyed in the middle tonight which actually cost us a few goals from centre clearances. He is no longer an elite midfielder who can match it with the best in the comp. Still goes good against the average sides but will never impact in the big games anymore.
He was runner-up in the Brownlow last year, and I would think he'd be in our top 3 B&F right now.
But hey, he's no longer an elite midfielder and will never impact in the big games anymore.

Derp Derp...

The umpire wasn't pathetic. You can't pummel a guy - that's why a 50 metre was awarded which would have resulted in a shot on goal.
And you can't come in 'sticking up for a team mate' and slam into him pushing him to the ground.

We have had free kicks overturned 3/4 times this year when our players have stupidly 'stuck up for a mate' (this was the second time this year SPP has done it) and in all of those occasions it has cost us a shot on goal.

You know, when Hammer did it earlier in the year, many on this board was calling for him to it dropped.

(As long as Bonner doesn't back in. Been watching the Port vs Norwood game today - he's been awful)

Slam lol...

Slam not sure if srs

Salem folded faster than a house of cards was pure stupidity by SPP I agree but dont weaken your point with hyperbole

To blame spp for that is poor. The umpire was pathetic. So you can pummel a guy and give away 50 but you can push someone to stick up for a team mate.
Embarrassing umpiring
I hate the reversal of free kick rule. It's a double penalty, loss of a free kick to one side, plus gain to the other. It should be a cancelling of the free kick and a ball up.

SPP lined him up from 25 metres away and ran straight through him. Whether he folded or not, its sheer stupidity.

SPP lined him up from 25 metres away and ran straight through him. Whether he folded or not, its sheer stupidity.
Minimal impact, the guy bounced up smiling and patted SPP on his head. Eg staged and the umpire should be on it. Punch different story

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken could say in his press conference that the sky is blue, and I reckon I'd still go outside and make sure.

been fairly bloody grey here in SYD for a few days, so... ;)

Minimal impact, the guy bounced up smiling and patted SPP on his head. Eg staged and the umpire should be on it. Punch different story

minimal impact or not, when that happens, its a reversal 100 times out of 100. Just don't do it.

minimal impact or not, when that happens, its a reversal 100 times out of 100. Just don't do it.
Yep. It's exactly what Mitchell did to Rozee last week and half this board wanted Mitchell hung for it.

Giving away 50s or free kick reversals is something I've been really disappointed with this season.

Players in our leadership group even do it. We are simply not disciplined enough.

I mean, nothing is ever 'always a free'. There was one last night in the Brisbane v St Kilda game that was quite similar to our catalogue of reversals this year and it went unwhistled. The dumb thing is putting yourself in the position to have it paid against you - especially in a hostile away game or against a fairytale team like Melbourne. But thinking that through is way too much to ask intellectually of some of our players.

It was used tactically when it was only 15m, what it should be is 25m for minor infringements & 50m for more serious stuff.
From the overthinking things on a Sunday morning department.

How about something like if you are awarded a '50m' penalty:
  • Inside your defensive 50: you get a free kick from the centre circle
  • Between the arcs: you get a free kick from a point anywhere you choose on your attacking 50m arc
  • Inside your attacking 50: you get a free kick from a 'penalty spot' 25m out from goal dead in front
Has the following advantages:
  • no more "I'd like to buy real estate off of that umpire" commentary
  • makes the 50m lines more than decorations (I know the 6-6-6 has started to give them some meaning)
  • gets rid of the absolute gimme goals for infringements inside the F50 to something more like a soccer penalty where the player should goal but there is still at least some degree of difficulty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back