Review Round 17, 2021 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

From the overthinking things on a Sunday morning department.

How about something like if you are awarded a '50m' penalty:
  • Inside your defensive 50: you get a free kick from the centre circle
  • Between the arcs: you get a free kick from a point anywhere you choose on your attacking 50m arc
  • Inside your attacking 50: you get a free kick from a 'penalty spot' 25m out from goal dead in front
Has the following advantages:
  • no more "I'd like to buy real estate off of that umpire" commentary
  • makes the 50m lines more than decorations (I know the 6-6-6 has started to give them some meaning)
  • gets rid of the absolute gimme goals for infringements inside the F50 to something more like a soccer penalty where the player should goal but there is still at least some degree of difficulty
It makes sense. There would be three penalty spots: 25m (forward); 50m (midfield); center circle (defense).

My only objection is the possibility of a really short penalty advantage right outside F50. Maybe actually adding the 10m line for big penalties 25m from the goal.

Last edited:
My only objection is the possibility of a really short penalty advantage right outside F50.
Yeah, could lead to "professional fouls" just outside 50 but it's probably not too different from a player being fouled six inches outside the penalty box in soccer. If you're fouled six inches closer to goal there's a huge difference in the outcome.

Yeah, could lead to "professional fouls" just outside 50 but it's probably not too different from a player being fouled six inches outside the penalty box in soccer. If you're fouled six inches closer to goal there's a huge difference in the outcome.
Yes, but it’s a normal foul out of place. A 50m infringement in footy is supposed to be a more serious act.

10 Christian Petracca (MELB)
8 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
6 Tom McDonald (MELB)
2 Steven May (MELB)
2 Max Gawn (MELB)
1 Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)
1 Christian Salem (MELB)

10 Christian Petracca (MELB)
8 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
6 Tom McDonald (MELB)
2 Steven May (MELB)
2 Max Gawn (MELB)
1 Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)
1 Christian Salem (MELB)

Telling, isn't it, that the top 3 guys on that list were all identified here (and presumably in the coaching box) as the keys to shutting down Melbourne's ability to move the ball through the corridor. So were we just not good enough to do this, or were the instructions not a success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back