Prediction Round 19: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

If Walker is our is there any chance O'Brien is the replacement?

Clearly not like for like but use it as a chance to manage Sauce's workload without actually resting him. Gives ROB a taste without us having to completely go without the safety net of Sauce if needed. Both can then split their time between forward, ruck and bench.

Given a tall forward is out this would be the least disruptive to our structure if we didn't want to rest sauce all together at some stage.
Obrien crashes packs and takes strong marks too and can kick goals

You dont need a tall forward line against Essendon they are on the shorter side down back
not suggesting we need to keep the structure but that if we want to blood O'brien without having Sauce miss altogether this allows us to do it without sacrificing structure.

More that if we were to do it the next week and Tex was back then we would be top heavy and not allow us to play the resting Sauce/Obrien on the ground much but rather rotate off the bench mostly

not suggesting we need to keep the structure but that if we want to blood O'brien without having Sauce miss altogether this allows us to do it without sacrificing structure.

More that if we were to do it the next week and Tex was back then we would be top heavy and not allow us to play the resting Sauce/Obrien on the ground much but rather rotate off the bench mostly

If tex is out injured have no problems with him coming in probably as good as any to come in! If Tex is good to go, then no change

If tex is out injured have no problems with him coming in probably as good as any to come in! If Tex is good to go, then no change
Given how Tex's form suffered early in the season when injured .....i just cannot see the Crows risking Tex this week

I see the Crows putting on a public face saying they're trying to get Tex up for the game ...but in reality they have no intention of playing him

Given how Tex's form suffered early in the season when injured .....i just cannot see the Crows risking Tex this week

I see the Crows putting on a public face saying they're trying to get Tex up for the game ...but in reality they have no intention of playing him

He definetly isnt worth risking if it could further injury it, heading into the most important time of the year and giving him that extra recovery aswell we all know he tweaked it.

Agree, too valuable to risk Tex this week. Good opportunity to give him the week off, as we need him firing for the rest of the season.

Walker out Seedsman in, hendo to go hff, McGovern to play deeper

That's it no more changes we need strongest team possible for next two weeks, percentage is the key it's worth a winning game it could see you finish from 2nd to 5th the way it's looking. I don't want to finish 5 th by resting players, theY get a week off after home and away and just had a bye.

Agree, the Neil Craig way is tried and true. 4 points on offer this week is the end game, nothing else matters. 3 weeks in the future simply does not exist. I'd rather finish fit and 5th on the way up than limp to 4th. You'd rather fall into 4th, fair enough.

Would love to see ROB on the big stage. Most uncoordinated, coordinated player I reckon I've ever seen.

It's like his brain keeps trying to tell him "look, you're a brain box not an athlete" but then he just overrides that.

Super talent:thumbsu:

Our premiership chances are about to be sabotaged by good ol Thommo again, just like last year....... his presence was probably the deciding factor as to why Danger left to play in a premiership winning culture.

Our window of opportunity is short, if Tex goes down next year it;s lost for ever, the time is now.

Thommo, for all our sakes mate, put the club first, take the decision out of their hands, do the right thing, sacrifice yourself for the club and perhaps you really can make a hero of yourself if and when we win the flag.

This today.... how professional premiership clubs operate.

Form over reputation is the right way to go at the Swans

Coach John Longmire has made some tough decisions at the selection table this season, and last week was no exception with veterans Ted Richards and Ben McGlynn dropped to the reserves. Richards has been a linchpin in defence for several years but Aliir Aliir is now entrenched as a tall backman after winning a spot with fantastic NEAFL form. McGlynn has been overtaken in the role of a small forward/midfielder who applies plenty of defensive pressure by the likes of youngsters George Hewett and Tom Papley. Longmire could have stuck with experience but has picked his 22 based on form and he's reaping the rewards. - Adam Curley

Otten still has a couple of weeks out with a banged up thumb. However, he's undervalued and underrated on this board. Fit and in form (can never get fit so can never get in form) I think he's best 22 and would be a versatile inclusion.

A fit and in form Otten I see as first choice replacement for 3 players. I'm interested in who you think he'd replace out of Sarurday's 22 assuming everyone was fit and in form.

Would be surprised to see Douglas omitted.

Since his move to half forward I reckon he has been good, last week no exception.

Half forwards who get 18 possessions are OK.

Full time centre square mids however...

Cant see Tex playing need it healed and healed properly

Hendo out for seedsman/ Mackay maybe thats just a coaches call pretty similar in a lot ways probably comes down to who offers more flexability to the team.

Thats it no more, Backline is settled need to keep that 6 playing together evey week

You're an incredibly knowledgeable poster, so I'm looking forward to learning a bit here. I'm interested as to why the Seedsman/Mackay decision comes down to the most flexible. Is it just that role, or are there others which come down to flexibility between the 2 combatants?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our premiership chances are about to be sabotaged by good ol Thommo again, just like last year....... his presence was probably the deciding factor as to why Danger left to play in a premiership winning culture.

Our window of opportunity is short, if Tex goes down next year it;s lost for ever, the time is now.

Thommo, for all our sakes mate, put the club first, take the decision out of their hands, do the right thing, sacrifice yourself for the club and perhaps you really can make a hero of yourself if and when we win the flag.

This today.... how professional premiership clubs operate.

Form over reputation is the right way to go at the Swans

Coach John Longmire has made some tough decisions at the selection table this season, and last week was no exception with veterans Ted Richards and Ben McGlynn dropped to the reserves. Richards has been a linchpin in defence for several years but Aliir Aliir is now entrenched as a tall backman after winning a spot with fantastic NEAFL form. McGlynn has been overtaken in the role of a small forward/midfielder who applies plenty of defensive pressure by the likes of youngsters George Hewett and Tom Papley. Longmire could have stuck with experience but has picked his 22 based on form and he's reaping the rewards. - Adam Curley

Thommo has every right to push hard and back himself in to return to form. It's up to the coaching group to make the decisions neccessary to maximise our chances of premiership success.

Agree, the Neil Craig way is tried and true. 4 points on offer this week is the end game, nothing else matters. 3 weeks in the future simply does not exist. I'd rather finish fit and 5th on the way up than limp to 4th. You'd rather fall into 4th, fair enough.

What's the Craig way? We just had a bye we will have a bye after the h and a, and you want to rest players in the meantime. 2 nd is on offer if we win the remaining games and flog essendon Brisbane and freo. To do all that we need strongest team possible not resting players that are getting plenty if rest

You're an incredibly knowledgeable poster, so I'm looking forward to learning a bit here. I'm interested as to why the Seedsman/Mackay decision comes down to the most flexible. Is it just that role, or are there others which come down to flexibility between the 2 combatants?

I said hendo, maybe for Seedsman/ Mackay meaning they could keep hendo for flexability , you wouldn't consider hendo somewhat of a swingman?

Thommo has every right to push hard and back himself in to return to form. It's up to the coaching group to make the decisions neccessary to maximise our chances of premiership success.

That's the clubs poor culture right there....."You try telling Thommo he's not playing"
Too bad a Thommo return to form doesn't come with defensive pressure and creative offense.

Cant see Tex playing need it healed and healed properly

Hendo out for seedsman/ Mackay maybe thats just a coaches call pretty similar in a lot ways probably comes down to who offers more flexability to the team.

Thats it no more, Backline is settled need to keep that 6 playing together evey week
Depends on if it's like it was earlier in the year. They said then that a week off wouldn't make any difference and he'd just play through it. If it's the same again I can't see them resting him.

Depends on if it's like it was earlier in the year. They said then that a week off wouldn't make any difference and he'd just play through it. If it's the same again I can't see them resting him.

You could be right, but generally any injury will respond better to rest than to aggrevating it. But all injuries are different

I would say the forwards were trying to stick to the text book and the mids weren't holding their end up.

To be frank, I'd rather they try to make the changes in the midfield first to swing the game the way we want to play it rather than tell the forwards to play for the long bomb.

Obviously the problem was we weren't able to produce anything good through the middle all night, which is far more concerning than Enright vs our forwards IMO. That was a symptom, not the disease.
Ive watched a bit of sanfl this year and imo the midfield is what is letting the side down as well. They are all playing for themselves which is not helping the forwards.
The only one thats worth a go is Wigg- he's been our best mid this year imo the rest are no better than the ones there atm
If Tex misses there are a few options - play a smaller forward line maybe bring in Beech strong overhead and good kick for goal is footy hardened
Or either Dear/Ramsey -Dear has bigger body but drops lots of marks that he should take and is average shot for goal but has improved over the last month
Ramsey for mine has been playing well both up forward and down back has a good kick perhaps our best shot for goal in the sanfl. Did have a quite one last week but from what i saw it was more fault of the mids and there ball use. It would be good to see if he's up to it???
Rob has been playing well but still not sure his kick is good enough that is all that lets him down.
The big thing for me is how the player use the ball when they get it -CC had shots for goal and should have put on scoreboard pressure -should have kicked at least 2/3-that could make a massive difference in the game. The mids wasted a lot of ball last week and need to put it to our forwards adv more often-just my thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back