Review Round 19. SUNS vs Melbourne @MCG Sunday 1.10

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So after a good win this is a pretty irreverent match. Both teams can't really move much up or down the ladder and Melbourne can't make finals. The Dees are in good form they should have beat West Coast. All we are really playing for is to drop Melbourne's pick for the draft. I'm looking forward to heading to this one to see Sexton and Touk in the middle again and also seeing the big 3 talls go at it once more. Rosa and Mckenzie should be back (Mckenzie may play 2s), Saad and Lemmens will play NEAFL. Not sure about other changes don't think there were any injuries and nobody played really poorly. Hall isn't ready and the NEAFL bye stops Fiorini and O'Meara. We probably won't win but hopefully don't embarrass ourselves like the last time we played Melbourne.

Be competitive, would like to see Sexton and Miller continue to play in the guts and see if they can perform against a strong Melbourne midfield. Again if we can get enough decent ball into the forward 50 our talls will trouble the Dees. May is in some sort of form, and hopefully can quell the influence of Hogan.

Will hopefully be competitive and close, but I am expecting Melbourne to get the win here unfortunately.

Be competitive, would like to see Sexton and Miller continue to play in the guts and see if they can perform against a strong Melbourne midfield. Again if we can get enough decent ball into the forward 50 our talls will trouble the Dees. May is in some sort of form, and hopefully can quell the influence of Hogan.

Will hopefully be competitive and close, but I am expecting Melbourne to get the win here unfortunately.

2 hot heads in May and Hogan.

I might just watch it in TV so I can watch those 2 brawl

So after a good win this is a pretty irreverent match. Both teams can't really move much up or down the ladder and Melbourne can't make finals. The Dees are in good form they should have beat West Coast. All we are really playing for is to drop Melbourne's pick for the draft. I'm looking forward to heading to this one to see Sexton and Touk in the middle again and also seeing the big 3 talls go at it once more. Rosa and Mckenzie should be back (Mckenzie may play 2s), Saad and Lemmens will play NEAFL. Not sure about other changes don't think there were any injuries and nobody played really poorly. Hall isn't ready and the NEAFL bye stops Fiorini and O'Meara. We probably won't win but hopefully don't embarrass ourselves like the last time we played Melbourne.
Irrelevant! (I assume you don't actually mean irreverent)... This is our Grand Final... Melbourne gave us one of our most disappointing beatings ever earlier this year... I was at that game and left sick to my stomach... We let them look like they were premiership favourites that night..
Melbourne have a tough draw after this game.. If we win they can sink like a stone.. If Bowes doesnt get bid on in picks 1 to 3, and we have picks 4 and 5... We can set this team up for a Premiership tilt with something called depth... Imagine being able to call on a 4th or 5th draft pick next time we have 8 out injured instead of Luke Fu#kn Russell... Imagine us not waxing lyrical about how much Chris Mayne could improve our fwd line...
Let's add to the fact we are playing at the "G"... the Holy Grail, there maybe only 20 thou there but this is the place where dreams come true..
Melbourne are coming off a hard hard game in the Wet at Subi... remember a couple of years ago when noone could win the week after coming back from Perth...
We kinda knew about Miller, but have we unearthed a contested ball winner in Sexton? Why not, he is agile and has a penetrating kick...
Melbourne, mentally could be real flat for this one... they were up and about a few weeks back, not much as gone right lately... I dont think they have got enough reward for their effort... this can grate on a psyche. ..
The Suns on the other hand are probably exceeding expectations considering our injury situation lately...
We dont match up well with the Dees, they just seem a bit too fierce at the contest but maybe Eade has a plan to run those pricks off their feet... I don't like the Dees, nothing I would like better than to pay them back for humiliating us in our own back yard earlier this year..

Irrelevant! (I assume you don't actually mean irreverent)... This is our Grand Final... Melbourne gave us one of our most disappointing beatings ever earlier this year... I was at that game and left sick to my stomach... We let them look like they were premiership favourites that night..
Melbourne have a tough draw after this game.. If we win they can sink like a stone.. If Bowes doesnt get bid on in picks 1 to 3, and we have picks 4 and 5... We can set this team up for a Premiership tilt with something called depth... Imagine being able to call on a 4th or 5th draft pick next time we have 8 out injured instead of Luke Fu#kn Russell... Imagine us not waxing lyrical about how much Chris Mayne could improve our fwd line...
Let's add to the fact we are playing at the "G"... the Holy Grail, there maybe only 20 thou there but this is the place where dreams come true..
Melbourne are coming off a hard hard game in the Wet at Subi... remember a couple of years ago when noone could win the week after coming back from Perth...
We kinda knew about Miller, but have we unearthed a contested ball winner in Sexton? Why not, he is agile and has a penetrating kick...
Melbourne, mentally could be real flat for this one... they were up and about a few weeks back, not much as gone right lately... I dont think they have got enough reward for their effort... this can grate on a psyche. ..
The Suns on the other hand are probably exceeding expectations considering our injury situation lately...
We dont match up well with the Dees, they just seem a bit too fierce at the contest but maybe Eade has a plan to run those pricks off their feet... I don't like the Dees, nothing I would like better than to pay them back for humiliating us in our own back yard earlier this year..
I mean irrelevant in terms of no team can move up or down the ladder much now Melbourne can't make finals. Of course it means heaps to the players playing. Although i think last week was our Grand Final. To back up our win in perth was bigger.

I mean irrelevant in terms of no team can move up or down the ladder much now Melbourne can't make finals. Of course it means heaps to the players playing. Although i think last week was our Grand Final. To back up our win in perth was bigger.
Have to agree to disagree then Meatball... top job with the game threads lately though.. way to step up..

Wouldn't mind if Tape slipped into a purely 2nds role as a bit of an enforcer? Shown he can excel at NEAFL level. We need a few of those guys for our NEAFL squad.

Not sure how that would work. Surely he would return home to South Australia? If he stays on the Coast, what would his role be? A Southport player that fills in for us when we have injuries? I doubt Southport would go for that. Maybe sign him up with Labrador and call him up when we need him? I doubt he would provide much use as a coach, and I haven't seen him show much leadership in the past, so I doubt he could be co-captains with Jamason Daniels or anything. What's he like with numbers? Do we give him some mindless administration job just to keep him for our NEAFL team? Seems like a waste of resources if we go that route.

Overall, I think keeping him around as an enforcer for the NEAFL team wouldn't be a terrible idea per se. I imagine he could do a very good job protecting young developing midfielders in the NEAFL next year like Fiorini, Williams, or Schoenfeld. But I just don't know how we are going to do it without putting him on the rookie list and taking some draftee's spot.

This is probably a discussion for a different thread. Maybe we could move this to Seb Tape's House of the Rising Suns thread? That hasn't been updated in a few years.

Not sure how that would work. Surely he would return home to South Australia? If he stays on the Coast, what would his role be? A Southport player that fills in for us when we have injuries? I doubt Southport would go for that. Maybe sign him up with Labrador and call him up when we need him? I doubt he would provide much use as a coach, and I haven't seen him show much leadership in the past, so I doubt he could be co-captains with Jamason Daniels or anything. What's he like with numbers? Do we give him some mindless administration job just to keep him for our NEAFL team? Seems like a waste of resources if we go that route.

Overall, I think keeping him around as an enforcer for the NEAFL team wouldn't be a terrible idea per se. I imagine he could do a very good job protecting young developing midfielders in the NEAFL next year like Fiorini, Williams, or Schoenfeld. But I just don't know how we are going to do it without putting him on the rookie list and taking some draftee's spot.

This is probably a discussion for a different thread. Maybe we could move this to Seb Tape's House of the Rising Suns thread? That hasn't been updated in a few years.

Rookie lists are for raw talent or mature talent who have come on a bit later.
You want them to tick the box at the club before putting them on the senior list.
The rookie list isn't designed to house 6yr washed up players who would be an a stage player in the SANFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone going to the after match function? I will be the guy using his 4 y/o son like a pick up artist uses a dog at the park to meet beautiful women.

Effort and pressure is great. Just keeping it up for the whole game with limited midfielders could be the issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back