VFL Round 2 - Essendon vs Collingwood at Windy Hill (Pies lost 38-118, replay in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Its worth remembering that Witts is a big loss for the VFL team. No way Tom Bellchambers is as dominant as he was today if we had Witts playing.

Just rag-dolled Lynch, actually thought White had more impact against him.

Just out of interest here are the changes from the side that easily won the qualifying final last year.

In: Scharenberg, Aish, Chippendale, Tardrew, Mayne, Blair, De Goey, Dunn, Brown, Daicos, White, McLarty, Thomas, Tahana, Woodward, Keeffe, Mackie, Lynch

Out: Witts, Collopy, Macaffer, Lachlan Howe, Ryan Pendlebury, Matt Smith, Marley Williams, Gault, Phillips, Ferguson, Moloney, Hellier, Hinkley, Borthwick, Goodyear, Hore, Frost, Golds

Obviously that doesn't account for the shocking performance today, but people need to stop treating it as the same VFL team as we had on the park last year.
Our results the last few years have largely been based off a solid VFL core getting games because of AFL injuries and experienced out of favour AFL players or youngsters with a couple of preseasons under their belt. In past seasons the VFL core and other AFL players getting overtaken have covered our offseason AFL departures. This year however our cupboard is bare in terms of ready to go hardened AFL players and we're playing minimal VFL players due to a healthy AFL injury list.

Sure Cox, Oxley, White, Wells, Keeffe, Thomas and Aish have all played VFL, but none are big body on body types. Likewise outside of Woodward and to an extent Tardrew none of our VFL players selected fit that mould either.

Games and goal tally (correct to round 1)

Player|2016
gms|2016
gls|CFC career
gms|CFC career
gls|2017
\M. Smith|20|2|20|2|yet to play
\ Golds | 20 | 7 | 20 | 7 | delisted
\Kelly|19|4|20|5|2 games
\ Moloney | 18 | 14 | 66 | 35 | Geel VFL
\Gray|18|11|65|31|2 games
\Hellier|18|11|80|38|yet to play
\Borthwick|17|10|29|14|yet to play
\ Macaffer | 17 | 11 | 67 | 61 | retired
\Collopy|16|18|35|27|yet to play
\Pendlebury|15|1|43|4|yet to play
\ Gault | 15 | 12 | 62 | 40 | retired
\ Goodyear | 14 | 5 | 30 | 10 | delisted
\Hinkley|14|1|14|1|yet to play
\ Witts | 14 | 5 | 56 | 45 | traded
\ Wyatt | 12 | 9 | 12 | 9 | delisted
\Wills|13|6|20|7|2 games - no preseason
\Howe|13|12|21|16|yet to play
\Phillips|13|11|13|11|AFL
\ Ferguson | 13 | 15 | 45 | 46 | VAFA
\ Frost | 11 | 1 | 23 | 0 | traded
\Sier|8|1|9|1|1 game
\Goldsack|8|0|||AFL
\Oxley|9|9|||2 games
\Hore|9|1|9|1|yet to play
\Indovino|8|9|8|9|yet to play
\ Cloke | 7 | 18 | 7 | 18 | traded
\Broomhead|6|5|29|26|AFL
\Crocker|8|11|8|11|1 game
\Lane|6|2|6|2|yet to play
\ Marsh | 6 | 0 | 35 | 1 | delisted
\ M. Williams | 8 | 2 | 18 | 5 | traded
\Cox|5|6|25|24|1 game
\Close|5|5|10|14|yet to play
\ Matheson | 6 | 2 | 23 | 13 | VAFA
\ Rambaldi | 5 | 1 | 5 | 1 | Coburg
\ Viola | 5 | 0 | 8 | 0 |
\Aish|4|2|5|2|2 games
\White|4|2|10|15|1 game
\ Knight | 4 | 1 | 4 | 1 |
\Tardrew|3|0|4|0|2 games
\Wallace|3|1|51|8|yet to play
\ Brown | 3 | 0 | 25 | 5 | free agent
\Jack Blair|2|1|21|12|yet to play
\DeGoey|1|2|6|8|2 games
\Alessi|1|1|1|1|yet to play
\Still|1|1|9|20|yet to play
\ Taylor | 1 | 0 | 13 | 2 |

Last edited:
I'd rather maximise our chances of winning in the first place by getting our match ups right. That can be done easily enough playing Berg in the seniors.

Ok.....it seems like we're going around in circles now and you obviously want to win this one......especially after your Daicos comment earlier.

I am throwing in the towel Apex you win. Congrats.

Oh look. Likely to play against us next week. Scharenberg and Freeman on the same ground......

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does taping the Hammies really work mattys123?
Not sure, more a dodgy knee athlete myself.

Should play Berg in the seniors just to avoid the Freeman curse.

We can hardly kick a goal in a last quarter & will be playing against a team that come home like a train when we play the cats. Wont be pretty.
Short of our recent good match up over geelong I can't see this one turning our way. I also think it will be similar to the cats v Hawks last week. Here's hoping we get the win on Anzac Day and can recover in time for the blues

Not sure, more a dodgy knee athlete myself.

Should play Berg in the seniors just to avoid the Freeman curse.

Agreed!

We are cursed enough! :fearscream:

That really wouldn't be hard atm, I'm hoping Callum is like his old man and still yet to have his balls drop. (Late bloomer).
Speaking of Tyler, he's playing for Eastern this year. Anyone have any idea how he's going?

Ok.....it seems like we're going around in circles now and you obviously want to win this one......especially after your Daicos comment earlier.

I am throwing in the towel Apex you win. Congrats.
Come on mate, I'm trying to have a civil discussion here, and I'm even agreeing with you that he needs to play senior footy. I just disagree about your proposed matchup.

In regards to the Daicos comment, heat of the moment stuff, was still angry at our performance as a whole today.

Come on mate, I'm trying to have a civil discussion here, and I'm even agreeing with you that he needs to play senior footy. I just disagree about your proposed matchup.

Fair enough then.......I thought the Daicos comment was you being a smartarse.......my bad.

If that's the case then I pick up my towel and hopefully he plays seniors next week because he is wasted in the VFL.

He has enough games under his belt now.

He is definitely like his dad in toughness. Was a bit of a scuffle today, not scared. I love him already.

Yeah he has a few good traits, just his size is very small (both upwards and frame) he makes Blair look like Chris Tarrant.

Though plenty of time on his side and i am not writing him off, just not expecting anything from him this year due to it.

How does the netball team have an adverse impact on the footy team?

That really depends on if it has had any impact on why we don't pay the AFL tax on the footy department expenditure, instead choosing to "cost cut to save" $$. Are they then funnelled into the Netball and Womens footy ventures?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he has a few good traits, just his size is very small (both upwards and frame) he makes Blair look like Chris Tarrant.

Though plenty of time on his side and i am not writing him off, just not expecting anything from him this year due to it.

That really depends on if it has had any impact on why we don't pay the AFL tax on the footy department expenditure, instead choosing to "cost cut to save" $$. Are they then funnelled into the Netball and Womens footy ventures?

So basically you think we should not have other teams so we can exceed the footy spending cap. Have you considered that the other teams may also generate revenue?

By my reckoning he has them playing exactly how Buckley has instructed them too, given the similarities with how the seniors play!
I have to agree with you 100%.
He is obliviously under instructions to play to Buckley's game plan. What game plan you may ask. I saw Buckley in Rivers' ear so was probably giving him pointers on how to stick to his non-existent game plan.

Same deficiencies in the seniors exist in the VFL.
Slow, static play. No run. Look backwards at every chance. Horrendous turnovers.

The only positive out of today's debacle is JDG. He is a beast.The sooner he is back in the AFL side, the better.
Couple of good signs from McClarty, but he is a way off yet.
Also was close to Brad Gotch at the quarter and three quarter time breaks. Very impressive insight into the game and spoke very well to the players.

Not even as a Father/Son Rookie?

8,6,7 disposals and no goals obviously isn't enough in the TAC Cup.

He isn't even a clear best 22 quality player in the TAC Cup so I wouldn't even at this stage consider him for a VFL position unless he improves dramatically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back