Game Day Round 2 vs. St Kilda, MCG, 7:30pm Thurs 21/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our backline has been clearly exposed. It is apparent we are really missing Murphy. He was crucial the last two years.

In order for Moore to play well, we absolutely need Murphy to be the stay at home defender, the desperate spoiler, the guy that saves the bacon when Moore is caught out being aggressive.

Howe needs to stay back too as he is a mix of Moore and Murphy, but the infield backline leader too.

Given our high octane game, our defense was crucial is saving us last year when we turned the ball over. If we don't have that this year it is an obvious area for the opposition to exploit.

Both GWS and the Swans did so easily
We will need to make do without Murphy. Which is why I think we need to persist with Dean.
I think Frampton will come in for AJ. We need someone who can bring the ball to ground.

B. Quaynor. Frampton. Dean
HB. Maynard. Moore. WHE
C. Jaicos. Naicos. Hill
HF. Shultz. Cox. McReery
F. Elliot Checkers. Howe

R. Cameron. Degoey. Crisp

Int. Macrae. Lipinski. Reef. Sidebottom
Sub Pendles

We will need to make do without Murphy. Which is why I think we need to persist with Dean.
I think Frampton will come in for AJ. We need someone who can bring the ball to ground.
We won the flag last year on our frugal defence. Dean should only play as the third defender.
Would rather Frampton at this stage as Murphy replacement.
Our defensive system was torn to threads last week.
We firstly need to tighten this.

He plays with passion and verve. But where do we play him?

I might be way off , but id love to see him on a wing. Gives us break speed through middle of ground , can defend , can attack.

Sidey to the bench , Noble to wing. Along with Crisp to backline , Naicos mid

Centre bounce . Cameron , Fin , De Goey , Naicos . Noble and Jaicos on wings

2 games is a small sample size , but are we exposing ourselves by continually playing all 3 of Pendles , Mitchell and Sidey

We won the flag last year on our frugal defence. Dean should only play as the third defender.
Our defensive system was torn to shreds because:

a) horrible turnovers in horrible spots

b) we couldn't apply enough pressure to their entries to cause turnover. Not sure if that was our pressure game being off or them being too good.

Dean didn't stand up in contests, but that's not a system thing. I think he plays our system better than Frampton, which is why he's been picked. I'd stick with him unless the coaches think that the contest issue is going to be ongoing with him.

Last edited:
Agree totally. I don't think Murph will be making a come back. It is just too dangerous for him. We need to persist with Dean definitely. This will require the entire defence though to reset and recalibrate, in the knowledge that Dean - due to his lack of experience, and his lack of familiarity with our system - will need to be assisted by others while he is learning the role. Our defence is being re-constructed, in a certain sense. That is why Dean, who definitely has talents, needs continuity for the defence to knit together again. Darcy Moore has to realise that he can no longer play exactly the same role that he did while Murphy was in defence. Darcy's performances thus far have been worse than Dean's, due to his (Darcy's) errant kicking on several occasions.
I agree that Frampton will come in for AJ. I think MacInnes, needs some time in VFL and a few blinders there before he gets selected. His preseason did not look vastly different from AJ's, so I don't see him as being at this point making a huge difference in the second forward role. Frampton has experience: we know he has certain abilities (such as tying up the main defender and creating room for Checkers etc), as well as taking the occasional grab.

I’d buy that if Dean wasn’t outsmarted half a dozen times before that.
Nope it’s definitely him.

The Heeney one, I thought Dean actually won the push and shove with Heeney going to ground. A reflection of the quality of the player that he regained his footing and pushed in front of Dean and still took the mark. Of the others, I thought the Amartey 1 was the only one where he clearly took the wrong line. A lot of the rest were him getting caught out following team instruction to push up and that’s not all on him. Twice Moore got caught standing the mark up near the wing which also leaves the defence thin for talls. Couple all that with their ball movement and he did as well as you’d expect from a kid playing his 2nd game.

Hey! I retract my retraction! Elliot kicked his goals right at the end of the 3rd and in trash time in the last.
As a leader, his job is to deliver when it’s still alive.
… I was half right. 😄

I think you also need to revisit his finals last year, especially the GF. Not the direct scoreboard impact you’d expect/desire, but we don’t win the GF without his team high 24 pressure acts and 8 score involvements.

The Heeney one, I thought Dean actually won the push and shove with Heeney going to ground. A reflection of the quality of the player that he regained his footing and pushed in front of Dean and still took the mark. Of the others, I thought the Amartey 1 was the only one where he clearly took the wrong line. A lot of the rest were him getting caught out following team instruction to push up and that’s not all on him. Twice Moore got caught standing the mark up near the wing which also leaves the defence thin for talls. Couple all that with their ball movement and he did as well as you’d expect from a kid playing his 2nd game.
Yep, Dean had Heeney beat, the issue was he paused to make further body contact with a grounded Heeney instead of attacking the footy.

Probably a matter of learning when to intercept vs defend.

By the way Fly talked in the presser, sounds like it'll be multiple changes.

Fin needs a full game
Can you play both him and mitchell?

Saints dont have a real tall defence, so whether we bring in Reef, or we move jordy or one of the rucks up forward

Frampton for Dean? Though Saints dont even have a big forward line either, mainly King. Membery is only 188cm strangely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fin needs a full game

Saints dont have a real tall defence, so whether we bring in Reef, or we move jordy or one of the rucks up forward

Frampton for Dean? Though Saints dont even have a big forward line either, mainly King. Membery is only 188cm strangely.
Membrey is only 188cms, but has a big vertical. Owens is 191cms, Sharman is 193cms, Marshall pushes forward, as does Phillipou. A lot of 3rd tall sized types. Which makes me comfortable with Dean, as he shouldn't get caught wrestling any gorillas.

Membrey is only 188cms, but has a big vertical. Owens is 191cms, Sharman is 193cms, Marshall pushes forward, as does Phillipou. A lot of 3rd tall sized types. Which makes me comfortable with Dean, as he shouldn't get caught wrestling any gorillas.
Yeah, a lot of medium type forwards, so we may not need frampton as another tall. If they had another player thats over 195/196 then possibly.

Does jordy play a bit more forward, Does mitchell? So we can add in fin?

Saints defence had Wilke, cordy, stocker, Battle, Bonner and Wanganeen-Milera. Do we bring in reef for ash, or do we play one of the mids down forward like jordy or even one of the rucks.

Fin needs a full game

Frampton in for AJ
Mitch in for Markov

Yeah, a lot of medium type forwards, so we may not need frampton as another tall. If they had another player thats over 195/196 then possibly.

Does jordy play a bit more forward, Does mitchell? So we can add in fin?

Saints defence had Wilke, cordy, stocker, Battle, Bonner and Wanganeen-Milera. Do we bring in reef for ash, or do we play one of the mids down forward like jordy or even one of the rucks.
I think it depends if we go with Howe up forward for a full game or not. I think Howe can do well with his lead-up marking, and gives Reef another week to find some form. Or we could play Frampton forward to (ideally) bash around.

I think JDG up forward would be interesting. Will draw a lot of attention away from Checkers & Elliott.

Fin needs a full game

I think Sullivan or Allan may be blooded. Engine room might have “stars” but they haven’t been firing.

Macrae and Frampton are locks to play.

If Frampton replaces Dean, then an Oscar Steene debut might happen for AJ.

Personally I don’t understand this whole Dean as third tall defender opinion.

He simply doesn’t have the ability to provide enough drive or intercept marking to fulfil that role.

I think Sullivan or Allan may be blooded. Engine room might have “stars” but they haven’t been firing.

Steene?
No chance.

No way will Sullivan, Allan or Steene play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back