Review Round 21, 2021 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've re-watched the first half looking hard at Birchall. He was good, very good. Can't see him being dropped on those two quarters.
I hoped Freo were flat after that game against the Tigers, and I think whilst we were good, they were pretty flat. But still a very good win with lots of good performances across the park. I think Birch wasn't too bad, but his problem is against the fast forwards and or fast ball moving sides, which we likely face in the finals. That said, there is no way he is being dropped for the remaining games.

I'd plump for Lester - more flexible, can be sent forward in a pinch or even in to the centre square for a break glass moment (i.e. Berry get injured). All Birhcall can really do is kick (sometimes) and get body on body okay with a bit of bulk and height. I just really hope it's not Lester AND Birchall holding their spot once Adams and Gardiner come back in. The backline looks so much better with a bit of speed, both when defending and launching attacks.
I appreciate Lester has arguably played some of his best footy over the past 18 months or so, but don't think he is best 22 and not in my back 7. Rarely takes a key forward and when he did Riewoldt kicked a bag. Although Riewoldt's 6th goal nothing to do with Lester. A caveat that whilst not at the ground for the past two games, from the TV it appeared against the Hawkes Lester was at times marking an 18 year old #42Tyler Brockman and against Freo at times on a 19 year old #35 Josh Treacy. Certainly Gardiner and Adams ahead of him and arguably even young Payne who has some good speed and agility for a big guy and is flexible enough to play tall or on mid forwards. Think Maddens hand has troubled him recently but can see him playing more permanently next year and hopefully Answerth can overcome his groin issue. Froggy Lester becomes very handy backup or even emergency on occasions. Think both Birch and Lester will be picked for the first semi, although reckon our backline about 6 weeks ago against Geelong without Birch and Lester looked reasonably agile.

It's hard to judge off the TV but a mate of mine who goes to most of the WA matches in his home state and isn't a bad judge said the ball movement of the Lions was the best he's seen all year.

And that he never realised how good Zorko is . Said he was brilliant to watch live, a class above.

It's hard to judge off the TV but a mate of mine who goes to most of the WA matches in his home state and isn't a bad judge said the ball movement of the Lions was the best he's seen all year.

And that he never realised how good Zorko is . Said he was brilliant to watch live, a class above.

I agree with your mate.

When you watch him live you appreciate how much work he does without the ball and how good he is at getting to the contest.

That's why, apart from anything, else he leads our tackle count more often than not

It really bums me that there are still some who question his captaincy credentials

Was at the game also. Zorko was awesome. Number of times he surged past or ahead of packs to extract or forward the ball our way, each time I thought “Zorks AGAIN!” He was everywhere, defensively and offensively.

Not everything was crisp and pristine but you couldn’t fault his energy or commitment.

The ball movement was great, but Freo helped. Their pressure was minimal. Birchall could play two more years against that type of oppo. Teams that allow us to push up by moving and passing backwards play into our hands and we would win 90% of those games.

Only a couple Freo bigs (Darcy and Treacy) and a couple smalls (Colyer and Schulz) showed energy or aggro. Schulz especially is a little sh*tbag. Compliment of sorts btw.

One last thing. At the first warm up the Dockers kicked to the goals we sat behind. I swear they missed three of every five set shots regardless of where they lined up. They missed shots I would expect to kick more often than not - and I am old, broken and not good at football.

When they switched ends for the official pre game warm up the Lions boys were 4 from 5 or better from the same areas. That’s where I thought ‘we might be on today’.

We might need to play better against the top tier squads, but Sunday showed us that our way still works. Hopefully we lift further and continue up from here on in.

Was at the game also. Zorko was awesome. Number of times he surged past or ahead of packs to extract or forward the ball our way, each time I thought “Zorks AGAIN!” He was everywhere, defensively and offensively.

Not everything was crisp and pristine but you couldn’t fault his energy or commitment.

The ball movement was great, but Freo helped. Their pressure was minimal. Birchall could play two more years against that type of oppo. Teams that allow us to push up by moving and passing backwards play into our hands and we would win 90% of those games.

Only a couple Freo bigs (Darcy and Treacy) and a couple smalls (Colyer and Schulz) showed energy or aggro. Schulz especially is a little sh*tbag. Compliment of sorts btw.

One last thing. At the first warm up the Dockers kicked to the goals we sat behind. I swear they missed three of every five set shots regardless of where they lined up. They missed shots I would expect to kick more often than not - and I am old, broken and not good at football.

When they switched ends for the official pre game warm up the Lions boys were 4 from 5 or better from the same areas. That’s where I thought ‘we might be on today’.

We might need to play better against the top tier squads, but Sunday showed us that our way still works. Hopefully we lift further and continue up from here on in.

Not surprising as the commentators remarked Freo are the least accurate side in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes

10 Dayne Zorko (BL)
5 Joe Daniher (BL)
5 Harris Andrews (BL)
4 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
3 Zac Bailey (BL)
2 Oscar McInerney (BL)
1 Daniel Rich (BL)

interesting compared to BF voting. Hugh and Dan stiff but it was a hard game to give votes. So many played well. Glad to see Harris recognised. Thought he was huge as the only genuine KPD. Beat his man and impacted some many contests.

Genuinely feel that was the penny drop performance we needed heading into finals. I think we'll win our next two games well and think we'll make the prelim at the very least.

Will be interesting to see if we have a slow start whether or not we can lift or if we go back into our shells

Genuinely feel that was the penny drop performance we needed heading into finals. I think we'll win our next two games well and think we'll make the prelim at the very least.
I too believe we win the next two, and even beat Richmond or whoever in the elimination semi at the GABBA. After that I am not so sure, although with Bruce out Dogs forward structure might not be as potent. Might put the mock on them but think Port are slowly building into some form and would be hard to beat in Adelaide.

On my ladder predictor ( totally unreliable ) we play Freo in first week of finals. Unlikely but a possibility.

McStay is 3rd for us (behind Zorko and Lyons) for tackles inside 50. Has more than any of our other forwards despite playing a few less games. Had 5 tackles on the weekend along with his 15 disposals, 8 marks and 2 goals (with a goal assist). Really helps our forward pressure when one of our key forwards is providing pressure too.

I thought they got a better balance with Charlie on the weekend. While I wasn’t a fan of him being too deep back in defence, I thought it balanced his contribution a bit better and meant that it wasn’t feast or famine for him.

McStay is finally turning into the gun forward we thought he could be. A rich man's Jack Darling :moustache:

Back