Preview Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 7th August, 7:40PM AEST *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Swans

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think we could be using him even more effectively. None of our other midfielders have the skills he does so we're wasting him doing what they can
Except none of our mids can do what Steele does in the midfield. He is our best player and one of the best players in the competition. And he should be played in his best position.

Except none of our mids can do what Steele does in the midfield. He is our best player and one of the best players in the competition. And he should be played in his best position.
none of them can do what he does but you'd imagine Bytel, Dunstan, Crouch can combine to at least do 70% of what Steele does. and Steele adds a lot of bonus. Either way just spitballing. He's undeniably our best midfielder

Ratten been a breathe of fresh air to what we have had at the club , first year took us to finals and this year with the amount of injuries we have had you can't expect to do miracles.
His coaching and selection's at times have been mystifying but no way in the world does the bloke deserve the crap that is said about him on here.
When things don't workout we as supporters are meant to support not criticize every move that is made.
After being at Hawthorn for 3 flags and having Rath as his right hand man who is said to be one of the best in producing a game strategy I have faith we have the best man for the job.
After totally changing our squad just about in 2 years no doubt the team has to gel and this year with the turn over of players and injuries no way in the world could he achieve his goals.
One thing for sure we have been able to blood a lot of players that most probably would not even be considered if we had a full squad.
After a shocking year being one game out of the 8 is unbelievable - imagine if we had Ryder , Marshall , Jones , Paton and Gresham at the start of the season - we would be in the 8.

Please have faith in what is happening at the club because just looking at our list and the talent we have we are heading in the right direction.

Saw another guy quote this so went back to look for your post.

Agree totally.

It's so hard coming here after a loss that sometimes I just stay away and wait until we have won so I don't have to listen to all the crap.

Stop moaning on Kent
Nah; it’s our right as members

gnrtdIi.jpg

Not so sure about that! He's got the Dud [Kent] covered in every way. He can mark, run, handball, kick goals. Some mention Kents "bodywork". I don't see "bodywork" from Kent, I see him getting in the way, miscalculating where he should be to get to the play. You get to see real "bodywork" from Long, and the opposition feel it!
Long can run, but he doesn't; he can handball but he bites off too much and coughs it up; he can't kick and he definitely can't kick goals, not to mention he's a complete liability to give away a free in front of the oppo goals.

Long can run, but he doesn't; he can handball but he bites off too much and coughs it up; he can't kick and he definitely can't kick goals, not to mention he's a complete liability to give away a free in front of the oppo goals.
His contract is up at the end of next year.

Suffice to say he has a lot of work to do if he wants to keep playing AFL. Would want to go away and get super, super fit this off-season.

Kent and Long are playing different roles. The problem I have with Kent being in the side is Kent was playing Higgins' role, and now Higgins is back.

They've taken Long out, so I'm not sure who plays the pressure forward now. Ideally with everyone fit, I like Geary as the pressure forward, Higgins as the hit-up high half forward, and Butler as the crumbing forward.

Long's had 7 tackles in 3 weeks, Kent's had 11.

Pressure acts: Long 31; Kent 45.

I don't really rate either of them, but I don't see how anyone can make an argument for Long ahead of Kent. How many chances does he get?

Yep, Kings 8 contested marks wouldn't have been possible without big Kents body work. :thumbsu:

It did look like we were blocking for him. Then decided to not put everything through him or Carlton tightened up on him and we dropped away because he was the only one who looked like he might score.

Man we are really playing the kids. Leo and Sharman getting games this week.. neither is AFL standard yet but we are investing in the future.

This is pretty much as close as you get to tanking. Still hope we have a good crack this week, would be nice to see something over the last three weeks of the season to get excited about.
I watch closely when new players get a run and thought Sharman was very impressive and definitely not out of place.

Watched the 2nd half replay a couple of times and he did everything thing right. Took a couple of nice marks, led into space when needed, quick handballs to players in better positions, kicked 2.1 and the point was a left foot snap from distance.

Will be interesting to see how he goes this week.

I just think we could be using him even more effectively. None of our other midfielders have the skills he does so we're wasting him doing what they can

We need 6 of him.

Not so sure about that! He's got the Dud [Kent] covered in every way. He can mark, run, handball, kick goals. Some mention Kents "bodywork". I don't see "bodywork" from Kent, I see him getting in the way, miscalculating where he should be to get to the play. You get to see real "bodywork" from Long, and the opposition feel it!

Long can NOT run faster than Kent.
Not sure why people keep repeating this myth, is it some sort of inverse racism?

They've had the same number of marks inside 50, but Long has a couple more contested marks.
Long has kicked a couple of goals this year but neither have bragging rights. Kent kicked 10 last year.

I watch closely when new players get a run and thought Sharman was very impressive and definitely not out of place.

Watched the 2nd half replay a couple of times and he did everything thing right. Took a couple of nice marks, led into space when needed, quick handballs to players in better positions, kicked 2.1 and the point was a left foot snap from distance.

Will be interesting to see how he goes this week.

Yeah, you lose the surprise attack thing after your first game, he probably won't get as much space but he has what you can't fake. He looks like footballer who knows where to run to find space and looks a great kick. Hopefully he can kick a couple and keep his confidence building.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long can NOT run faster than Kent.
Not sure why people keep repeating this myth, is it some sort of inverse racism?

They've had the same number of marks inside 50, but Long has a couple more contested marks.
Long has kicked a couple of goals this year but neither have bragging rights. Kent kicked 10 last year.

They are both a bit s**t. I think Long has had promise in the past so we have a positive image of him still. Kent came in pretty much as he is now so has a bit of a negative attached to him. Butler and those two have been extremely disappointing and our least effective zone.

The DMac influence will be huge

He'll be primed, they'll have to wheel him in on one of those Hannibal Lecter trollies and release him just as the siren goes. He'll go at the Swans like a ferret on amphetamines.

They are both a bit sh*t. I think Long has had promise in the past so we have a positive image of him still. Kent came in pretty much as he is now so has a bit of a negative attached to him. Butler and those two have been extremely disappointing and our least effective zone.

Yeah its not because Kent can't run though, its because they aren't that good at footy.
I'd quite like to flush and play Billings, Gresham and McKenzie as our small forwards.

Man we are really playing the kids. Leo and Sharman getting games this week.. neither is AFL standard yet but we are investing in the future.

This is pretty much as close as you get to tanking. Still hope we have a good crack this week, would be nice to see something over the last three weeks of the season to get excited about.
Leo has at least got some courage to take the game on, its a hell of a lot more than most of the others do , yeah he makes a mistake now and then but the season is done so keep playing him and Sharman i say

Last edited:
Leo has at least got some courage to take the game on, its a hell of a lot more that most of the others do , yeah he makes a mistake now and then but the season is done so keep playing him and Sharman i say
Far too many regulars who just don't look like they want the ball and fair enough I guess if you butcher it half the time. Good to see some FIGJAM in a young bloke.

Far too many regulars who just don't look like they want the ball and fair enough I guess if you butcher it half the time. Good to see some FIGJAM in a young bloke.
The little bugger has some cheek , doesn't mind a bounce and has got something we really need Pace

Who would of thought that we would of got to round 21 this year and be looking at out:Billings in:McKenzie and thinking yes that is good news. Credit to Dan, he has worked his butt off and been more than handy this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who would of thought that we would of got to round 21 this year and be looking at out:Billings in:McKenzie and thinking yes that is good news. Credit to Dan, he has worked his butt off and been more than handy this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To me the main difference is how he's taking the game on.
Dan used to be terrible at playing hot potato, he'd get the ball and quickly handball it to the nearest player , under pressure or not.
Now he's showing that he has the ability to find space and hit his target.

Better than Billings? He sure doesn't rack up the possessions like Billings.
At the start of the season when he wasn't hampered by injury Billings had a couple of 30 possession games. We think its amazing if McKenzie gets 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back