Game Day Round 3 vs. Brisbane, Gabba, 7:30pm Thurs 28/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year was always going to be different, people usually hate us, but add some success to that and bam!

Now you can add in a poor start and it's basically like pouring petrol on a fire. Make no mistake, this is above regular criticism for our situation.

I'm not sure how people don't see/deny it (Anti pies bias), you can pretty much mathematically prove it via the amount of memes and atrocious articles produced this year about us compared to last year about Geelong (who were in a similar situation).

No one will ever accept us. I can only hope our club has mentally prepared our players for the current onslaught, as it was bound to happen. We only have each other. Start strong pie family. Floreat Pica!
I prefer to read articles/books that are interesting and increase my knowledge. Similarly with conversations, TV and movies.

I am so ancient that I can recall the media pile-on in 1976, which was massive. Back then we were perennial finalists, season after season, although never quite good enough to win the Big Dance. In 76, we started the season disasterously with 5 or 6 straight losses, and it only got worse from there. We ended up claiming our first wooden spoon, leading to the sacking of Murray Weideman as coach. Murray it is said, used to skip Thursday night training and take some of the senior players for a punt at the trots at Moonee Valley instead.

There was no social media back in 76, but every newspaper article, TV and radio show dissected the Pies' dilemma to the nth degree. It was horrible supporting the team back then, as we didn't even have the memory of a recent Premiership to console ourselves with.

PS- We still claimed a record of sorts in finishing last. We had the most-ever wins for a Wooden Spooner (6) in the old VFL comp.

Sadly I do remember 1976 well - but I must have deleted the media pile-on from my memory.

If we are then I hope they choke on Fat Jesus.

Dance Speedo GIF
Why are you posting slim guys without beards?

Noble for Markov,
Harrison for Schultz (needs to learn our game plan in the 2s),
Carmichael (super-sub) for Mitchell (looks cooked),
Macrae into the 22, Howe mostly forward.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm surprised anyone is surprised by the media pile on for the Pies, lol.

They've been hanging out for our downfall after reluctantly admitting to liking us over the past 2 years.
We're always the story. And we've been a fantastic story of positivity and unity over the last 2 years. So that incredible cohesion becoming so dramatically frayed in the first 3 games is a really interesting story. Just got to ignore it and get the cohesion back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're always the story. And we've been a fantastic story of positivity and unity over the last 2 years. So that incredible cohesion becoming so dramatically frayed in the first 3 games is a really interesting story. Just got to ignore it and get the cohesion back.
And when we do get our mojo back and are pushing towards top 4, they will all jump on!

We're playing that tall forward line again....so please play three talls down back. Dean in, Frampton to Daniher and let Darce go forward (at least to start with...we've gotta try something to unsettle oppo half backs).
McCrae in for Mitch (he's got his premiership medallion now, let him back in when the winter comes). Ed Allan's hands and reflexes aren't quick enough yet for the ones but he gets to lots of contests, you can bring back Nobes for Mrkov if you want but Nobes will get targeted by Charlie Cameron and McCarthy (they'll just mark over him) and in patches Tew Jiath looked every bit as good as any defender we've got at reading play so I look forward to next year for that lad.
Our Mids are horribly out of form atm and so many hacked kicks off half back are just getting sent back with interest. So I say stack the forward line (Moore and Howe go forward at the first bounce to give us SOME sort of marking power up there) McCreery into the mids with a license to HUNT and HURT and JDG spelling forward also. Cox has to play because otherwise McInerney kills Cameron like always.

Lions will expect and should expect to win this by 6-12 goals. I'm hoping that if we take it to them, then we might stick close enough to worry them for a few quarters.

It’s been a rough start, and probably another 3 loses in the next 6 weeks, but I feel but the mid way point of the year we will be back in the hunt.
In 2022, we had a couple of losses in about round 7 and 8 against the Tiges and Dogs where we looked all at sea - the wheels were off and we'd all thrown in the towel. McRae's attacking stuff had been fun, but it and we weren't up to it. The next week we were off interstate to Freo who were playing well and we were stuffed without a chance - smashed them (with Tyler Brown playing some ruck) and it was season on - as well as that game, we won the next 10. Go Pies.

Have a feeling that this game we will turn it around. Expect us to shock Brisbane and win by 3 goals.

I been feeling that might Happen.

We don't Expect to win and in Fact get Flogged and Playing Away from Melbourne

In 2022, we had a couple of losses in about round 7 and 8 against the Tiges and Dogs where we looked all at sea - the wheels were off and we'd all thrown in the towel. McRae's attacking stuff had been fun, but it and we weren't up to it. The next week we were off interstate to Freo who were playing well and we were stuffed without a chance - smashed them (with Tyler Brown playing some ruck) and it was season on - as well as that game, we won the next 10. Go Pies.
Feels very similar and Remember it well, watched on thinking we were no chance… from there it was one of the most enjoyable seasons I can remember.
This side is to good not to turn this start around, starting by showing Brisbane who the reigning premiers are… just in case they had forgotten, lol

Even before the season I wouldn't expect us to win, but if we play tougher and make them earn it, that'll be a good step forward
If we manage to win by some miracle, that'll be one for the ages

Looks like Doedee will be playing his first game for brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back