Preview Round 4, 2021: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re really struggling in our midfield transitions to get overlap ran going. I’d bring in downie (for howe), cousins (for worpel), Nash (for Moore) and move scrim into midfield rotations. Greaves to come in if silk needs a rest. Ceglar to also make way for TOB who will be better with Lewis as main target.

Yes a lot of changes but reckon there’s a few sore bodies after the last two games and a few players out of form.

Freo are short of defenders - with Lewis as main target TOB, kosi and Nash should have mismatches if we can get the ball in quick and still should have enough defensive pressure.

Freo were really crap this week so reckon they’ll come out hot and are a lot better in Perth. Can’t have our mids drop off intensity.

Howe will not be dropped, Kosi more likely. Cegs in dangerous territory but there are not many banging down the door at box hill. Jeka had a terrible couple of weeks before this week. Cuz has had his problems with his disposal. Worps clearly struggling. TOB most likely to come back in. It will be an interesting selection meeting

I was arguing last week that I’d have dropped Kosi before TOB, as some of Kosi’s efforts in chasing and competing were pretty ordinary.

This week though, I feel like he was given another chance to lift to the level required and he slowly got there.

I would persist with him and Lewis now even though they didn’t light us up, and get them to find their connection and belief over the next few weeks.

Rewatched Monday's game whilst listening to a lecture this morning (how is it that a lecture on Political influence on social work is more interesting than football commentators?) and one thing that's been evident over the first couple rounds is we've been slipping over a whole heap.
Is this a footwear issue or something? So many instances where if we keep our feet we go forward or retain possession where we lost it.
I'm hoping this week we keep our feet better this week as I reckon that could be the difference for us.

I'd lose a bit of enthusiasm if Kosi was ditched already.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

3 pretty unproductive games to start the season, straight after a position swap as a 20 year old over the summer. It's a decent stretch to get a taste.

Missing sitters, not much influence via pressure, blocks etc. I'd totally understand if he was omitted to get a bit of form and confidence at Box Hill (in a position he's barely played since drafted!). And unless two of O'Brien, Lewis and Jeka get into undroppable form at AFL level (chances?) he can press his case and get back in.

What could save him is that he has come up against two of the best, most well organised tall defensive units in the game. A lot can be forgiven under those circumstances.

I was arguing last week that I’d have dropped Kosi before TOB, as some of Kosi’s efforts in chasing and competing were pretty ordinary.

This week though, I feel like he was given another chance to lift to the level required and he slowly got there.

I would persist with him and Lewis now even though they didn’t light us up, and get them to find their connection and belief over the next few weeks.
Work rate will bring the young lads into the game. At times yesterday when they should have lead were stationary. Both Mitch and Kosi guilty at times.
Get on the bike boys and lead and lead again.

A few in here are dropping Moore.

Playing in Death Valley (high half forward) averaging 15 touches, 4 tackles and a goal a game. Anybody who saw his non-rewarded tackle on the wing yesterday then follow up to get involved in the next possession chain 30 metres away wouldn't be considering dropping him yet.

Howe will not be dropped, Kosi more likely. Cegs in dangerous territory but there are not many banging down the door at box hill. Jeka had a terrible couple of weeks before this week. Cuz has had his problems with his disposal. Worps clearly struggling. TOB most likely to come back in. It will be an interesting selection meeting

I reckon Cegs stays in until Gunston returns or TOB starts taking some marks. TOB may come back anyways in the hope he takes contested marks, but I think Cegs will stay over TOB. I don't think TOB is likely to come back until Lewis and Kosi get three games together and Kosi needs a rest (or someone gets injured). The forward line needs to start playing as a better unit and shifting it around to an already known quantity is more likely to disrupt that gelling that get it going.

just want to start a dialogue, haven't watched a hawks game.
first question; where are the hawks at.

freo will likely make a few changes. logue should come back giving us two albeit undersized key defenders (only 193cm and 195cm). we may drop a ruckman and replace him with a debutant key forward. the true issue is; taberner is playing injured and is shadow of himself. taberner usually can cover the ground really well; which spaces out key defenders. combine that with immobile ruckman as a key forward which allows key defenders to roll off and go to intercept city. our mid forward connection has been the real thing letting us down.
second question; do you have a backline capable of going to intercept city.

we got smashed in the midfield last week. however our inside midfield consists of serong, brayshaw, cerra and mundy. ages 20, 21, 21 and 35. because their so young they do do that from time to time, however we did touch up oppo midfields in the first two rounds.
third question; can your midfield bully our young midfield.

Don't think Howe will be dropped. Clarko said he was following orders to take risks, just didn't execute.
Was he following orders to stand there thinking for 40 seconds every time he grabbed the ball? Because THAT'S his issue NOT kicking.

Don't think Howe will be dropped. Clarko said he was following orders to take risks, just didn't execute.

Whether or not he was following the direction, his execution was very poor - gotta question why it was in his hands to begin with.

The bloke has an issue with telegraphing exactly what he's going to do when he kicks it and that's precisely what you don't want with an inboard kick. Unfortunate that Day got injured because he's exactly the bloke I'd want with the ball in those circumstances.

I think where we're at as a team is one that is really somewhere in the middle of the ladder (higher than we are now) but trying to keep a mindset of a team that is top 4. We have a lot of younger guys who look to be having their breakout years this season. They won't get noticed by many due to not being high draft pick pedigree, but they've done the hard yards in the VFL and are looking like great prospects. This however makes the team a bit raw and inconsistent. We've been slow to get going in games so are probably vulnerable to being jumped early. But as I mentioned there's been a club focus on the mental side of things after how pitiful 2020 season was. The team is focused on fighting out every game and won't roll over. It got us a 41 point turnaround win over Essendon, kept us in the game with Richmond for most of the day, and should have got us a 5 goal turnaround win over the Cats.

freo will likely make a few changes. logue should come back giving us two albeit undersized key defenders (only 193cm and 195cm). we may drop a ruckman and replace him with a debutant key forward. the true issue is; taberner is playing injured and is shadow of himself. taberner usually can cover the ground really well; which spaces out key defenders. combine that with immobile ruckman as a key forward which allows key defenders to roll off and go to intercept city. our mid forward connection has been the real thing letting us down.
Our backline is currently our pride and joy. It's young and pretty inexperienced but even with Sicily and Day out with injury it's got a lot of cool heads and class. The strengths of it are intercept marking (so yes to intercept city) and quick rebounding. CJ, Impey and Frost are not afraid to run and carry down the corridor and will drive a lot of quick transition if left to their devices. Hardwick and Scrimshaw are elite, long kicks and will find targets in congestion. And Hartigan will make much hurt with big smash.

we got smashed in the midfield last week. however our inside midfield consists of serong, brayshaw, cerra and mundy. ages 20, 21, 21 and 35. because their so young they do do that from time to time, however we did touch up oppo midfields in the first two rounds.
Midfield is a bit of a wild card currently. I think Clarko is still trying to find the right balance in terms of roles and which players he rotates through there. On paper we've got a great midfield but in practice they seem to be struggling to gel. But there are instances where we've seen it work and it really works. With Wingard back in the middle it might have added a different dynamic which helps the rest of the group. I don't see our midfield bullying anyone else's midfield until it starts working more cohesively.

Fyfe gonna play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Work rate will bring the young lads into the game. At times yesterday when they should have lead were stationary. Both Mitch and Kosi guilty at times.
Get on the bike boys and lead and lead again.
And chase chase chase. Something Kosi didn’t do much of last week.

I think where we're at as a team is one that is really somewhere in the middle of the ladder (higher than we are now) but trying to keep a mindset of a team that is top 4. We have a lot of younger guys who look to be having their breakout years this season. They won't get noticed by many due to not being high draft pick pedigree, but they've done the hard yards in the VFL and are looking like great prospects. This however makes the team a bit raw and inconsistent. We've been slow to get going in games so are probably vulnerable to being jumped early. But as I mentioned there's been a club focus on the mental side of things after how pitiful 2020 season was. The team is focused on fighting out every game and won't roll over. It got us a 41 point turnaround win over Essendon, kept us in the game with Richmond for most of the day, and should have got us a 5 goal turnaround win over the Cats.

Our backline is currently our pride and joy. It's young and pretty inexperienced but even with Sicily and Day out with injury it's got a lot of cool heads and class. The strengths of it are intercept marking (so yes to intercept city) and quick rebounding. CJ, Impey and Frost are not afraid to run and carry down the corridor and will drive a lot of quick transition if left to their devices. Hardwick and Scrimshaw are elite, long kicks and will find targets in congestion. And Hartigan will make much hurt with big smash.

Midfield is a bit of a wild card currently. I think Clarko is still trying to find the right balance in terms of roles and which players he rotates through there. On paper we've got a great midfield but in practice they seem to be struggling to gel. But there are instances where we've seen it work and it really works. With Wingard back in the middle it might have added a different dynamic which helps the rest of the group. I don't see our midfield bullying anyone else's midfield until it starts working more cohesively.
thank you thats exactly what i was looking for.

okay i believe it will be a somewhat even game unless your backline dominates or one of serong, brayshaw and cerra have a dominant 30 poss multiple goal game (which they can do).

Greaves for Burgoyne that is all

Competitive against Richmond, close to Geelong. Don't see the need for many changes

Long term i would prefer O'Brien or Lewis in the 2nd ruck role but this isn't the week do that

Last edited:
WA boy will play in front of his mum

Also important that he kicked a goal in the last term and even more important we keep getting games into these kids. He stays at least for another week

Also I am warming to the idea of Burgoyne as a sub to give more time to younger players - Downie and Greaves should get games into them. We need to have our eyes on 2023 right now and Burgoyne (champion of the game and the club that he is) isn't going to be there (I don't think)

Also important that he kicked a goal in the last term and even more important we keep getting games into these kids. He stays at least for another week

Also I am warming to the idea of Burgoyne as a sub to give more time to younger players - Downie and Greaves should get games into them. We need to have our eyes on 2023 right now and Burgoyne (champion of the game and the club that he is) isn't going to be there (I don't think)
You would think Greaves might be a chance as it is traditional to play the kids in their home state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back