Autopsy Round 5 = Collingwood 48-63 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Clarkson had the Hawks dominating, they rarely went backwards deep. I remember Sam Mitchell almost always not even getting off the mark to move it forward.

Every team tries to switch play like that. Essendon did it repeatedly tonight. When we do it and it opens up the other side of the ground to quick movement it looks great. But it requires players to work. If I recall correctly, Shaz kicked to Moore who marked, but then the options dried up. That’s not on Shaz, that’s on his team mates who failed to provide the options like the Essendon players did when they switched tonight.

I love Stevo for kicking the first 2 goals, but Jesus where was he for the rest of the game till the 4th quarter?
Wish we had the sub rule to sub him off and Sub mr.4th quarter (Cox in).

Like the whole team Dissapered but makes it Hard when our mids where getting Flogged

Look on the bright side, next week we have Hawthorn!!!

I say bright side because I gave up watching us play Hawthorn 10 years ago so don’t have to worry about the pain next week. I think I’ve watched one game and that was last year only because I got free tickets and got to go on the ground pre match. None of those worries next week!

Clarko never really had to think very hard to figure out how to dismantle Collingwood.

Every team tries to switch play like that. Essendon did it repeatedly tonight. When we do it and it opens up the other side of the ground to quick movement it looks great. But it requires players to work. If I recall correctly, Shaz kicked to Moore who marked, but then the options dried up. That’s not on Shaz, that’s on his team mates who failed to provide the options like the Essendon players did when they switched tonight.
Most teams think two kicks ahead and if they go too far back without having that second option then they are stuck again.

I’ll be honest, I can’t remember Shaz’s kick, but many times we go too far back to switch open the play on the other side. When it pays off, it only gets us as far as the wing-not setting up an opportunity to attack inside 50

Conditions ought to have been tailor made for Wills tonight. Instead he did nothing and then rode the pine. Why keep another midfield prospect like Rantall or Sier out in order to have someone sit on the bench when the game is in the balance?

Wills is a limited player but generally has clean hands in those types of conditions. That’s 2 weeks in a row where he’s been very fumbly though. Only 42% tog. Won’t be playing next week I wouldn’t have thought.

Reducing the list from 48 to 35 will require a big cull anyway. However we would likely have to reduce it further to allow for draft picks if there is a draft this year.

I think the players you have listed are spot on. However, Mayne has signed on for next year. Elliott signed on for 3 years at the end of last year, but will have currency if somebody comes knocking. I would be prepared to trade Phillips and WHE
Elliott signed on for 2 was offered 3 by the Lions.

So it turns out that after all these years of recruiting, our best key forward remains Ben Reid.

Our key forward cupboard is practically empty, unless we shift Moore forward, which would be suicide with Howe out.

For years we have spend too much money and picks on midfielders and Grundy. Patton, Josh Jenkins, Bruce and a number of others were gettable relatively cheaply and much better than what we have now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bruce has been poor, Jenkins is shite, Patton is struggling. We needed to draft someone. Play Kelly. Checkers and Cox are useless.

Most teams think two kicks ahead and if they go too far back without having that second option then they are stuck again.

I’ll be honest, I can’t remember Shaz’s kick, but many times we go too far back to switch open the play on the other side. When it pays off, it only gets us as far as the wing-not setting up an opportunity to attack inside 50

Drives me crazy. The amount of times we do it ‘successfully’ and we end up being held up on the other side of the ground in a similar or slightly worse position than we were originally. Plus the opposition get extra time to flood back defensively. Sometimes it doesn’t come off and you gift the opposition a goal. Would love to see the statistics on how often it actually works. I don’t feel it would be great.

After the first 10 minutes of footy, Essendon really had our measure. Their tackling and pressure was sensational. Their efforts at the stoppages we couldn't match.

We kicked four goals in 12 minutes of football, and found ourselves 3 points down.

Yes, they got a couple late, but for the manner we played most of the night, and to be that close still, I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater just yet

When you switch and get to the opposite wing then you have the option to cut back infield. But it all requires work rate. We had little for much of the game tonight, there wasn’t any surge like during that 1st 15 minutes of the game.

Tonight was a realisation that we aren’t going to win the flag with this line up. We have the best ruckman and can’t win a clearance. Time to look at the Future.

WHE Cox tyler brown (not up to it just yet) wills Varcoe all have to go out.

Moore is a backman but we need him up forward. Bring in Keane or Dunn to play back. Out moore up forward. Bring on Kelly and put him in the pocket. His mobile and as a 3rd tall he could be a handful

play the kids and set up for 2021. We aren’t winning anything this year that’s clear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you switch and get to the opposite wing then you have the option to cut back infield. But it all requires work rate. We had little for much of the game tonight, there wasn’t any surge like during that 1st 15 minutes of the game.
It does not help when Varcs gets the ball and pinpoints it down the corridor to a man wearing black and red.

To balance some of the negativity.

Maynard redeemed himself from last week's awful performance. He took the game on, busted his way into every contest and actually showed some pride out there.

Daicos has been developing nicely this year. He's had his moments where he fades from games, but I've seen more than enough so far to believe he's worthy of his spot in the senior side. In his fourth year, he's growing into a good footballer.

Was he our defensive mid at centre clearances?

The number of times Shiel waltzed away under mild pressure, and put a long damaging ball into their 50... Now that is a mid that can do damage from 30 odd touches.

Farking sideways kicks when we win a free from the middle. FMD. Dumb pricks. And Pendles did it late on last week too, how does a “smart” footballer do that?
Shiel had a good night tonight. But he is not the midfielder you look to as an example of ‘damage from 30 odd touches’. He kicks it to the opposition more often then not.

Look no further then Anzac day last year, in dry conditions. Turned the ball over to us many times, was a huge reason why they lost.

I don't want to be too critical; I've calmed down a bit now. These are the changes I'd make:
•We must drop Wills. If he can't get a kick tonight then he never will. Fumbled all night. No impact.
•Cox also must go. Two weeks and not a whimper. Why there wasn't a late change tonight I will never know. Anybody would do better. What have we got to lose?
•Varcoe - gave away three goals. His days are over.
These three players should not play again this year. Give the younger players continuity and bring in a young tall like Kelly. We can't win a flag with our current set-up, so let's try something else.
I’ve had a soft spot for wills, with the weather tonight I expected a stack of tackles, but got 2 out of him.

In saying that, we were crying out for someone to stop sheil at the centre clearances, but I never saw Rupe in there, why?!?!??

These were his conditions!!!!!

Happy to look at Sier next week.

...All day today WalterBlaknWhte conveyed to us boring mindless stories about his train trip and the passengers...
What Walt should have been communicating to us was that 90% of the passengers were Collingwood players. A team full of passengers!!

FMD they were bad for most of the game

Sidey's give-a-f*ck attitude set the scene

Watching them was so bad I almost played a board game with my nephew

I didn't though - would have made the night even worse

Have a good weekend and remember your safety word

Remember the s**t Greenwood copped last year for ducking a contest and not going when it was his turn. Well majority of our players had multiple moments of those individually and most disappointingly from most of our elder statesmen.

Degoey has an ego issue just like dusty used to and a poor tank. Hope him coping the flack and wanting that big money deal can spark him to greatness in the same way, fork in the road moment.

So many players too pissweak to bend over and pick the ball up Then work hard defensively when beaten to the pill.

Daicos beast mode, liked shaz starting to find his feet and start plucking those intercept marks. Was good to get some games into Tyler, he done just enough to book his game tonight now it's time to take what he's picked up in the ones and go work on it in the twos. Varcoe worked into it after some moments he'd rather have again, being out for so long and not having the match fitness he was always gonna be short of a gallop, you know varcs will respond next week and be the manic wrecking ball he is. Wills fumbled last 2 games didn't even execute his two only strengths. I want cal to start next game like he played that 4th.

I'd of left cox in the ruck as he ignited us and even dropped back into the hole getting a few good spoils and some nice tap work. I'd of snuck Grundy in up forward as he was getting absolutely pantsed and would of drew a Hurley or Hooker and made them accountable and left checkers and degoey to be those third talls.

Body language from some was deplorable, degoey face after the game whining to Elliot was in a state of shock like we were robbed, yeah some of those calls were bullshit but so were your weak efforts to chase especially after dropping a mark or making a skill error. Don't look around for excuses, cop it on the chin and be accountable.

Treloar, Adams phillips, just ******* give the thing to daicos, rant over !!!

Shiel had a good night tonight. But he is not the midfielder you look to as an example of ‘damage from 30 odd touches’. He kicks it to the opposition more often then not.

Look no further then Anzac day last year, in dry conditions. Turned the ball over to us many times, was a huge reason why they lost.

Yep, get that he is normally not as clean, but tonight he was killing us, and was pretty damn clean. So we needed to do more to stop him tonight. Their mids were heavily dependent on his work tonight, slow him down and were a hell of a lot closer to winning that game.

Blindness or stubbornness if we did not do anything from the coaches box to stop him, equally as bad if the coaches tried something, as it was ineffectual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back