Toast Round 24 = Essendon 31-101 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone listening to the post match? Lyon, Brown, Lewis all clueless. Talking about will Murphy get his spot back? Will McStay get dropped after being quiet tonight? Browny was sure Murphy isn't needed and Lewis that McStay will be dropped, Lyon liked this one too. Garry also happily announcing that Howe is not a forward, just like he wasn’t at Melbourne. Tried it didn't work and will stay in defence. This may be the case now, but his performance up forward would not be the main reason, it would be mostly about fitting Cox in.

Not sure how much of us they watch, but absolutely no idea. Bucks the only one making any sense.

That's what happens when you're paid to have an opinion on all 18 clubs instead of just following the one team you love and you post on here.

Generally the only people in the media who are worth listening to when it comes to Collingwood are those known to support us.

Mitchell worked his way into the game and had a very good second half. I reckon he's primed.
DeGoey did enough and did exactly what we wanted to see with his bursts out of the middle.
Howe was terrific down back.
Ginnivan close to our best at least in the first half.
Pendles terrific again.
Maynard was good as was Mihocek.
We wanted a good defensive game and we got that. We wanted clearances and we won them.
Now we rest and turn it on.

Great win, please never drop Cox or Ginivan again...... fantastic win can't think a negative.

If every journo was as good as Josh Gabelich the world would be a better place. Gun.
Except he over-compensates for Collingwood bias. Remember when he didn't give Mason Cox a vote in the 2022 Queen's Birthday game? The other two voters gave Cox 3. Gabo cost Coxy the Neale Daniher medal.

One of the most beautifully boring games I've ever witnessed. Every chip kick sideways was a thing of beauty. No risk of injury or the result after quarter time.

Minor Premiers baby!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ticks across the board. Most important no suspensions, no injuries - at least to this point. Got the win, sealed top spot.

Set the win up in the first and coasted from there. I know some want us to play like it's a final, but that was never going to happen.

Ginnivan really putting his hand up for finals. Tough to fit him in, but might be able to hold his spot, at least until Nick is back.
Ginnivan will hold his spot. Lipinski, WHE and Frampton are the three I'd omit, though I reluctantly drop WHE - make him sub. Whatever our ins next week, Ginnivan is going nowhere after that game tonight.

Well done to us, finishing top of the ladder. While we played a team seemingly bereft of any confidence, you can only beat what’s in front of you. And we played our best brand of Flyball for most of the night. An excellent warm up for the QF.

Also has to be said that Fly has managed Ginni beautifully leading up to the finals. Has the kid purring.

And we have Moore, Murphy, McCreery and Daicos to return. Not sure how we fit them all in but that’s something to salivate over.

Ginnivan and Cox have certainly thrown the challenge back onto the selectors. Good position to be in that there’s 4 best 22 players to come in and no obvious outs.

I liked our tall balance tonight with the extra small favoured.

I’d go Macrae, Frampton and Cameron for McCreery, Moore and Murphy with Howe pushing forward. Unlucky for Frampton and with right opponent he may play. Cameron looks to be low on confidence and fumbling his marks as a result. Look at Cameron’s goal tonight Cox could have played at the footy before Cameron marked and on the goal line; it seemed like an effort to help lift Cameron. There’s a risk though that if we drop Cameron it may destroy what confidence he has left and cook him for ‘23.

Glad that the ump paid the high one to Ginnivan tonight. Yes, he went low, but it was before Redman arrived therefore the onus was on Redman to adjust and tackle with a better technique.

Good to finish top as validation of the work that’s been done throughout the season

Can’t help but be a little bit disappointed that we just stopped after quarter time, but I sort of get why they did. Would have just been nice after a month of fairly mediocre football to just finish off really truly demolishing a team.

But you take 70 points into a bye leading into finals

Go Pies!

Good to see Cox grab some contested marks in the last qtr, and Cameron to kick a goal too, should help build confidence, they are crucial. Loved Ginni and Jordy's games, and Finn was really hard at the coalface, well done kid. Loved seeing Crisp running madly througj the middle again, stiff-arming losers out of his way.
Our inside-50 entries could have been a bit more precise: while it did't really hurt us tonight obviously, a team like Melb. would make it much tougher to get away with. We played the game largely our way, so should really set us up to build on when the real stuff starts in SEPTEMBER, baby! yes!

My favourite part, late in the game a ball kicked to tippa, collingwood defenders parted to give him an easy one, parish cuts in front and drops the mark.
Once it was well and truly over and they got a few inside 50s I wanted him to kick a goal for a nice send off, I love the bloke.

Cutting him off like that was just maddening to watch, must be absolutely infuriating for their supporters. Their biggest cult hero retires (again) and they didn’t even think of letting him mark it and have a shot.

If we want to talk about flicking switches. We flicked it to on for the first quarter then gradually eased it back as the game went on.

A positive indicator that we can quickly regain "form" is we've been doing this all year. Play one or two blistering quarters then pull it back. Whether by necessity or design it does show we can and do turn it on and off when needed.

Certain players were clearly being managed. Pendles after his big game last week mostly stayed out of the play.

Very satisfying win.

The minor premiership doesn't mean that much in the wider context with bigger things to come, but it's still a worthy achievement that should be acknowledged. First time we've achieved it since the 2010-11 era and before that it was 1977.

First quarter was excellent, and then went into preservation mode after that. We played out the game very professionally and didn't give Essendon an inch. They're grossly out of form, but it was still important for us to show a statement of intent and get some confidence and momentum leading into the finals.

Really impressed with our midfielders, particularly De Goey and Mitchell who stepped up. There's been question marks around our midfield in the past few weeks, but tonight provided some reassurance they'll be up to the task in finals.

Great to see Ginnivan play his best match of the season. Displayed the same attributes and hunger that he was renowned for last year.

Interesting to see that Fin Macrae had the most tackles for us despite only playing a half of football.

Finals are now upon us. Something we've been eagerly waiting for a little while now. No guarantees we'll win the flag this year, but we've done everything in our power to give ourselves the best chance possible in delivering #16.

My favourite part, late in the game a ball kicked to tippa, collingwood defenders parted to give him an easy one, parish cuts in front and drops the mark.
Certainly tried to give Tippa a shot without handing him the footy. A later attempt seen 5 ‘pies give Tippa space instead of entering the drop zone only for Hobbs to mark and spray his shot on goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back