Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 63-49 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Langers was a serious talent cut down in his prime. Was awesome in the 2018 GF.

AJ has a higher ceiling. Could honestly see him having a 15 mark, 8 goal game at some point this season.
Serious challenger for mark of the century too. You know it’s coming.

Not sure if he's that inexperienced in the role. Wasn't he a forward ruck for the first 7 years on AFL lists?

At least he's got the body for the ruck contest and should be decent dropping back into defence.

I just think we can cover him in defence.

It's definitely not ideal for Frampton, as he needs experience in our system, but I think it's the best thing for the team for a couple of weeks until Cox returns. Also gives us a chance to run a different defence, which we might need to later on as we can't assume that our talls will remain fit.
I don’t think I can ever agree with you on this. I don’t like messing with a successful defensive structure unless it’s to improve it.

I don’t think I can ever agree with you on this. I don’t like messing with a successful defensive structure unless it’s to improve it.
It's not really structure it's personnel - one player. And I'm advocating the personnel that kicked arse in the second half against Geelong, so it's not exactly experimental.

It's not really structure it's personnel - one player. And I'm advocating the personnel that kicked arse in the second half against Geelong, so it's not exactly experimental.
We were lucky that Geelong insisted on playing a half fit Hawkins in round 1. The structure held without Howe for a quarter and a half, but it wasn’t exactly effective, they scored heavily against us. The last two weeks has seen our defence become a lot tighter and a lot of that has been due to having a big man in Frampton take care of the primary key forward allowing Moore and Murphy to intercept and peel off their opponents imo. Not a fan of changing that up just to halve some hitouts that can be sharked anyway.

We were lucky that Geelong insisted on playing a half fit Hawkins in round 1. The structure held without Howe for a quarter and a half, but it wasn’t exactly effective, they scored heavily against us. The last two weeks has seen our defence become a lot tighter and a lot of that has been due to having a big man in Frampton take care of the primary key forward allowing Moore and Murphy to intercept and peel off their opponents imo. Not a fan of changing that up just to halve some hitouts that can be sharked anyway.
Geelong barely scored once Howe went off.

Id do it because I wouldn't play a kid who is likely to be uncompetitive in the ruck contests and offer little around the ground, so for me it's a choice between weakening the defence or the forward line and I think we'd be weakening our defence less than using McStay in the ruck would weaken our forward line.

Don't know what choice they'll make though. I think McStay in the ruck and Reef into the forward line is the shortest odds as I think they'll want Frampton to settle into his role.

Brisbane have been rolling with BigO and Fort, plus Daniher up forward.

Moore needs to take Daniher
Murphy can take Gunston
Maynard to go to Hipwood

Frampton will be required to take the big lump BigO or Fort down forward.

Would be good to give Reef a full game...rotate McStay and Johnson in the ruck but will always have Mihocek and a few of Johnson, Elliott, Reef or DeGoey around him for an aerial presence.

Geelong barely scored once Howe went off.

Id do it because I wouldn't play a kid who is likely to be uncompetitive in the ruck contests and offer little around the ground, so for me it's a choice between weakening the defence or the forward line and I think we'd be weakening our defence less than using McStay in the ruck would weaken our forward line.

Don't know what choice they'll make though. I think McStay in the ruck and Reef into the forward line is the shortest odds as I think they'll want Frampton to settle into his role.
I agree.
We should leave Frampton where he is on the "if it ain't broke" principle, although he could take some ruck contests inside D50.
Reef's speed off the mark has already created opportunities for him.
I'd like to see him get a full game.
McStay & AJ could alternate between ruck & forward, so it wouldn't weaken our forward line too much, if at all.

People should stop worrying about Hipwood as a dangerous "tall".

He simply doesn't play tall. He's a tall, lanky medium/small.

Maynard or Quaynor could play on him and thrash him (I appreciate that one is required for a much more dangerous player in Cameron).

Interesting fact - Hipwood is the lowest rating player ever to reach 100 games.

People should stop worrying about Hipwood as a dangerous "tall".

He simply doesn't play tall. He's a tall, lanky medium/small.

Maynard or Quaynor could play on him and thrash him (I appreciate that one is required for a much more dangerous player in Cameron).

Interesting fact - Hipwood is the lowest rating player ever to reach 100 games.
And win 11 French Opens

I think they'll go with McStay, Johnson, Frampton stints in ruck.
Reef to come back in up forward.
Not sure we can cover both Hipwood and Danniher if Frampton is rucking. A big risk.
Edit: Forgot they've also got Norman up forward now. Good match for Murphy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we can cover both Hipwood and Danniher if Frampton is rucking. A big risk.
Edit: Forgot they've also got Norman up forward now. Good match for Murphy.
If Hipwood has one of his once a year 15 minutes spurts where he can play footy, Frampton or Murphy are going to struggle or whoever is covering him. The rest of the time my nanna could cover him, and she's dead.

Probably not the best move to come onto an opposition's board and disagree with anyone but I was wondering how you'd react to the win and saw a few comments describing the game as ugly.

I actually bloody loved watching it! Thought it was really good footy to be honest, was very chess-like in that since both teams' overall defence and pressure were so good it took lots of diagonal, 3-moves ahead type plays to crack through. But having good defence didn't mean you were playing Ross Lyon style s**t cloggy footy, it meant that awesome offensive footy was required to earn every single point. I actually love games like that - massive shootouts are for mid table sides who aren't ready to crack in like maniacs when the other team has a run on.

Feels like the Pies right now are a team for genuine footy fans who like seeing smart (but hardened) teams work their tactics to perfection. Was the sort of footy that wins premierships and holds up in big finals when things are going the opposition's way.

I used to work at the AIA centre (back when it was the Holden centre) in hospo and would watch the pies train on my breaks/serve them coffee etc so have a bit of a soft spot in that regard - as a WA-raised opposition fan was totally ready at the start to hate them all and they were as a majority honestly lovely to be around (same cannot be said for the Freo players who'd visit the pub I worked at in Fremantle). Maynard is a legend. Will be supporting your boys now that our own season is probably irrelevant now - although wouldn't say no to another pity win like last year ;)

I think a lot of the “ugly” calls were referencing our kicking for goal, and the reward for effort we were extracting in the first half in particular.

I think a lot of the “ugly” calls were referencing our kicking for goal, and the reward for effort we were extracting in the first half in particular.
We were all over them in the first half, almost like the week before. Kick straight, and the final margin may have been similar as they wouldn't have had the desire they had in the 3rd.

All the commentary ive heard is the scoreboard flattered Richmond greatly
We killed them in play in the first half - they had a short period of dominance to begin the third, but then we got back on top pretty quickly. In the last we basically put the queue in the rack and didn't take the game on to ensure we couldn't lose the quarter by 5 goals.

Probably a bit harsh too. Most shots on goal were pretty rushed, not too many sitters wasted. Three posters … unlucky

We were all over them in the first half, almost like the week before. Kick straight, and the final margin may have been similar as they wouldn't have had the desire they had in the 3rd.
I agree.In the first half we were as dominant as any side can be.We must have botched at least 8 goals through poor kicking,missed snap shots at goal from close in,poor decision making,like passing to players who were covered when the player should have just kicked the goal themselves.The game should have been well and truly over by half time.But we kept Richmond in it by constantly missing,and they came at us hard in the third quarter and almost hit the lead.

That’s why we have so many close games,because we just don’t put sides away when we are dominating in general play.That’s one area of our game that definitely could do with some improving.

Under Friday night lights, Collingwood were able to overcome wasted opportunities at goal to overwhelm Richmond by 14 points, courtesy of the inpenetrable and stingy defence from the Magpies which were able to deny the Tigers any meaningful threats on the scoreboard throughout the majority of the evening. The opening term saw the Woods come out like a bull out of a gate, only for missed goals to deny complete domination on the scoreboard. The second quarter was eerily similar to the first quarter, with numerous opportunities again gone begging to wrap the contest up before half time, which the Pies had acheived against Port Adelaide in the previous game. The opening ten minutes of the second half in the third term belonged to Richmond who were destined to make Collingwood pay for their inaccurate conversion on the scoreboard. Then came a tremendous response and a withering burst of four goals in a row from Collingwood to restore their lead heading into three quarter time. The final term saw the Tigers hit back hard with the first two goals of the quarter to have the contest in the balance. With approximately 5 minutes remaining, the Magpies were able to produce the knockout blow with their final goal of the game to deny and stop Richmond in their tracks to remain unbeaten at the final siren after three matches.

Collingwood won the vast majority of statistical categories from Friday night's victory, with disposals won by +44 (400 - 356), +10 for kicks (229 - 219), handballs were won by +34 (171 - 137), while contested possessions had a margin of +22 (161 - 139), uncontested possessions were claimed by +22 (220 - 198), and intercept possessions had an advantage of +10 (81 - 71). Centre clearances had a gap of +4 (11 - 7), Tackles Inside 50 were won narrowly by +2 (9 - 7), contested marks were up by +2 (9 - 7), Marks Inside 50 had a reading of +1 (10 - 9), and Inside 50s had a significant buffer of +19 (59 - 40). Richmond's victories on the stats sheet came from hit-outs by +17 (48 - 31), clearances had a differential of +5 (42 - 37), with a margin of +9 coming from stoppage clearances (35 - 26). Tackles had a reading of +1 (62 - 61), while marks were won by +11 (76 - 65), and uncontested marks were up by +13 (69 - 56).

Jordan De Goey (35 disposals @ 57%, 597 metres gained, 15 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 23 kicks, 12 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 9 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances & 8 Inside 50s) was highly influential on the contest and created numerous scoring opportunities. However, his inability to kick goals and some poor ball use denied him from having a complete blinder.

Tom Mitchell (30 disposals @ 67%, 372 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 18 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) got to work in the trenches by winning the contested ball and clearances, while linking up in scoring chains when he had time and space to use the ball effectively.

Josh Daicos (28 disposals @ 64%, 507 metres gained, 14 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 6 score involvements, 7 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 5 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) accumulated possessions, linked up superbly on the wing, had a stint in the centre square where he was winning clearances as a midfield rotation, while Josh was able to ignite the fire with a crucial goal goal in the third term to commence Collingwood's onslaught during that quarter to ensure all the hard work wasn't wasted.

Jack Crisp (25 disposals @ 60%, 428 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) performed admirably by winning the ball through the midfield or transition play and looked to move the ball forward at all costs.

Steele Sidebottom (24 disposals @ 75%, 437 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 7 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) had a very fine game on the wing by winning the ball consistently over four quarters, while using the ball in a direct and effective manner to attack or maintain possession.

Scott Pendlebury (24 disposals @ 71%, 362 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 tackles, 2 goal assists, 9 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 1 goal) continued with his creativity resulting in goals in scoring shots. Speaking of goals, Pendlebury's manoeuvre to outsmart Richmond's defenders and snap a goal from the goalsquare brought every Collingwood fan to their feet.

Darcy Cameron (10 disposals @ 70%, 24 hit-outs, 5 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 stoppage clearances) gave a great amount of supply to his midfielders in the middle for three quarters, before sustaining a significant injury to his knee, which has put him on the sidelines towards the second half of May at the earliest, or the first week of June.

Nick Daicos (33 disposals @ 88%, 365 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 17 handballs, 5 marks, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 4 Inside 50s) put on another clinic with his exemplary ball use behind the ball enabling great protection from conceding goals, while offering effective ball movement to the team's advantage.

Brayden Maynard (21 disposals @ 67%, 467 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) defended with grit and was prepared to kick the ball long to a contest or short to a teammate who could mark the footy to maintain possession.

John Noble (16 disposals @ 56%, 190 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 2 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) found it hard to dispose of the ball effectively, but was still prepared to run and take the game on, even though there were errors made in doing so.

Isaac Quaynor (16 disposals @ 81%, 220 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was composed with ball in hand, and made smart decisions whilst the team were in transition from defence into attack, where Quaynor rolled up few times.

Billy Frampton (13 disposals @ 77%, 353 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 2 contested marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) played his best game for the club so far by quelling Tom Lynch in marking contests with vital marks taken and spoils made to ensure Lynch did not dine out in front of goal.

Taylor Adams (20 disposals @ 55%, 263 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 7 score involvements & 5 Inside 50s) spent time up forward and occasionally in the midfield. Adams linked up in scoring chains and generated forward entries that were not necessarily effective on a challenging night for him.

Jamie Elliott (17 disposals @ 71%, 263 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 8 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 4 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 9 score involvements & 2 goals) played his role in the win by scoring two vital goals in the third term, and won enough of the ball up forward in general play to be a significant threat.

Daniel McStay (16 disposals @ 50%, 266 metres gained, 4 hit-outs, 8 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) provided a target for much of the night, before being thrusted into the ruck for all of the last quarter, as Darcy Cameron was subbed out with a knee injury that has him out of action for two months. McStay was able to produce the knockout blow to Richmond's hopes of victory by taking a decisive mark in an otherwise small forward line and converted his shot at goal to kill off the contest.

Ash Johnson (15 disposals @ 67%, 187 metres gained, 3 hit-outs, 8 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 8 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 2 goal assists, 10 score involvements & 1 goal) was involved in everything up forward, but he did not finish his work. Johnson got to play because Mason Cox sustained a hematoma in his ribs. Therefore, Johnson needed to compete in ruck contests and held his own while he was there.

Beau McCreery (13 disposals @ 54%, 315 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks, 7 tackles, 4 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) put on another masterclass of manic pressure, where his tackling levels were very high, while McCreery looked to move the ball forward at all costs.

Brody Mihocek (11 disposals @ 73%, 208 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 2 contested marks, 7 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) complemented Beau McCreery nicely with an equally high level of tackles himself, while working hard for his marks. Mihocek was able to allow his team breathing space in the first quarter with an important goal in the shadows of quarter time.

Collingwood's next game will be against Brisbane at the Gabba on April 6. With Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox both unavailable for the clash against the Lions, the Magpies will definitely consider whether they will be better off playing with a small forward line with Mihocek and Johnson as the key forwards when McStay is in the ruck against his former club for the first time. Oscar Steene could make his AFL debut to alleviate those concerns, but there are doubts of that materialising. The Pies will need to continually change the angles of the footy to make it extremely hard for the Lions to defend. The next part of the equation for the Woods is to convert their work if success is to be had in Brisbane to continue the club's golden start to the season.

Attachments

• 280D11DD-AB1D-4021-A662-1610A119E111.jpeg
    280D11DD-AB1D-4021-A662-1610A119E111.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 16E3B945-F574-46B7-9C2E-8B9FA70D3CCE.jpeg
    16E3B945-F574-46B7-9C2E-8B9FA70D3CCE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 237250D8-BC95-4864-9218-9654FD23C753.jpeg
    237250D8-BC95-4864-9218-9654FD23C753.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 3C2BBE6E-81D1-44BE-A167-FF820558EC35.jpeg
    3C2BBE6E-81D1-44BE-A167-FF820558EC35.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

They won't kick 16.1 again for the rest of the year. Our defence smashed them in the last quarter and a half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back