Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 63-49 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah this isn't Auskick. I don't mind our boys showing some physicality toward the oppo. JFN did it last week near the end of the game. We're showing other teams that we are a force this season.
There’s a difference between physicality and being dumb. Beau flattening Cotchin as he kicked the ball out of defence is physicality. Moore giving it to Ollie after he tackled him in the goal square is physicality. Nick going in and starting s**t in a contest he had zero involvement in was dumb, and you’re lying if you’re trying to tell me you wouldn’t lose your s**t if he’d turned the free over doing it, which could easily have happened.

There’s a difference between physicality and being dumb. Beau flattening Cotchin as he kicked the ball out of defence is physicality. Moore giving it to Ollie after he tackled him in the goal square is physicality. Nick going in and starting s**t in a contest he had zero involvement in was dumb, and you’re lying if you’re trying to tell me you wouldn’t lose your s**t if he’d turned the free over doing it, which could easily have happened.
Yeah agreed, was stupid by Daicos. Heart in the mouth moment where the umpire could've easily turned the free kick over just outside Richmond's 50. Guess the umpires let those go as it was a physical game and didn't want to make critical calls late in the game like the dissent call against GWS (Haven't seen it yet)

Steene isn't ready.
I know. Beggars can’t be choosers. We don’t need him to win taps, just compete and allow our forwards to be forwards instead of compromising our structures.

I know. Beggars can’t be choosers. We don’t need him to win taps, just compete and allow our forwards to be forwards instead of compromising our structures.
Frampton first ruck, with Johnson as second ruck is what I'd do - but I wouldn't be surprised if they follow your reasoning and give Steene a game.

Frampton first ruck, with Johnson as second ruck is what I'd do - but I wouldn't be surprised if they follow your reasoning and give Steene a game.
They won't because he played 4 quarters of VFL with a 5 day turnaround.
McStay Johnson Frampton will do the rucking.

Did any of the VFL hopefuls not play 4 quarters?
Not sure mate. I just think with ruck stocks low they would not have risked him if he was considered a good chance to play.

Can’t see the logic in pulling Frampton out of defence, where he’s finally settling and showing AFL traits, just because he’s tall.

Not only does it compromise our defensive structure, but given his relative inexperience in the role, it’s unlikely he’ll be much more effective there than Steene anyway. Hard no from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure mate. I just think with ruck stocks low they would not have risked him if he was considered a good chance to play.
All the VFL hopefuls played 4 quarters. They won’t exclude any potentials from the VFL just because they’re coming off a 5 day turnaround instead of 6, that’s nonsense.

All the VFL hopefuls played 4 quarters. They won’t exclude any potentials from the VFL just because they’re coming off a 5 day turnaround instead of 6, that’s nonsense.
No it's actually the usual practice mate. And they've been doing it forever.

Especially in dire circumstances as we are experiencing now with Ruckmen down

No it's actually the usual practice mate. And they've been doing it forever.
It’s really not. They do it every now and then if a player is guaranteed to be getting a spot in the next game, like Frampton last week, or if they’re a best 22 player getting some touch before being recalled, but more often than not kids who are fighting for a spot in the 22 will play full games.
By your logic, since every player played a full game this week in the VFL there will be no inclusions. That’s clearly incorrect, since there will be one forced change, and any player coming in will have played a full VFL game, and be coming off a 5 day break. Sorry but you’re just wrong on this one.

It’s really not. They do it every now and then if a player is guaranteed to be getting a spot in the next game, like Frampton last week, or if they’re a best 22 player getting some touch before being recalled, but more often than not kids who are fighting for a spot in the 22 will play full games.
By your logic, since every player played a full game this week in the VFL there will be no inclusions. That’s clearly incorrect, since there will be one forced change, and any player coming in will have played a full VFL game, and be coming off a 5 day break. Sorry but you’re just wrong on this one.
No by my logic if we were desperate for Steene to play, he would not have played 4 quarters and come back 5 days later to face Brisbane.
He's just a kid

Zero chance he will play

Umm…ok.
So you went me because of the word I quoted, not the sentiment of my post.
Power to you!!

Ps. Seagull in this context is that he gets his possessions by HB receives and gets heaps of “cheap” 1-2…..do you disagree this is how he gets his possessions?

What seagull doesn’t say is how insanely damaging his possessions are….
disagree, his football smarts drags players in. because if they don't and he goes unchecked he becomes even more damaging, then through his gut running he gets the ball back because his direct opponent can't go with him

No by my logic if we were desperate for Steene to play, he would not have played 4 quarters and come back 5 days later to face Brisbane.
He's just a kid

Zero chance he will play
I don’t think we’re desperate to play him. I do believe we would allow him 4 quarters to put his best foot forward and base the decision on that. He may or may not play, but discounting him based on the fact that he played a full game of football is nonsense.

I don’t think we’re desperate to play him. I do believe we would allow him 4 quarters to put his best foot forward and base the decision on that. He may or may not play, but discounting him based on the fact that he played a full game of football is nonsense.
It's called insurance. Not nonsense. Otherwise don't risk him and get recovery time..
Him playing 4 quarters is showing us he's no chance vs Brisbane.
We are not planning at picking him.

It's called insurance. Not nonsense. Otherwise don't risk him and get recovery time..
Him playing 4 quarters is showing us he's no chance vs Brisbane.
We are not planning at picking him.
Disagree. I think they’re considering all available options right now. Time will tell. Let’s leave it at that.

Disagree. I think they’re considering all available options right now. Time will tell. Let’s leave it at that.
I think they'll go with McStay, Johnson, Frampton stints in ruck.
Reef to come back in up forward.

I think they'll go with McStay, Johnson, Frampton stints in ruck.
Reef to come back in up forward.
Maybe, maybe not. As I said, I believe they’re going to consider all their options during the week. I certainly am not going to write Steene over something as superficial as him playing a full game of football.

Can’t see the logic in pulling Frampton out of defence, where he’s finally settling and showing AFL traits, just because he’s tall.

Not only does it compromise our defensive structure, but given his relative inexperience in the role, it’s unlikely he’ll be much more effective there than Steene anyway. Hard no from me.
Not sure if he's that inexperienced in the role. Wasn't he a forward ruck for the first 7 years on AFL lists?

At least he's got the body for the ruck contest and should be decent dropping back into defence.

I just think we can cover him in defence.

It's definitely not ideal for Frampton, as he needs experience in our system, but I think it's the best thing for the team for a couple of weeks until Cox returns. Also gives us a chance to run a different defence, which we might need to later on as we can't assume that our talls will remain fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back