Review Round 5 = West Coast 103-76 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

100%.

Yes there were a couple of junk time goals but Moore was our leading goal kicker on the ground.

It’s easier to get KPD’s than it is forwards, Moore up front is worth the experiment for a few weeks.

Let’s not forget Pavlich was an AA FB early in his career before become a premier forward of the comp.
Pavlich was the AA FB but he never played there, he played mostly CHF that season and the AA selectors wanted to squeez him into the team and FB was the only spot they could find, was a massive outcry over it.

Maynard was sensational on Darling. That's the second time he has beaten him despite the height and strength mismatch. He not only beat him in a number of one on one contests , he became a springboard for rebound footy.
I thought the commentators underplayed his outstanding performance.

I dont think there is much of a strength mismatch between those 2, only really a height difference and that's within reason given Darling is only 191cm.

However Keane definitely needs a bog year in the gym as Darling rag dolled him.

The most frustrating thing for me this year, when we actually get on top, we always give away the goals and momentum. Things like crisps chip across goals. Against the giants when we started going backwards you always knew we were one bad handball away from a Toby Greene goal.

I wish we went back to 2018 hell speed run and gun football even if we lose. Because slow play and run and gun is not working.

Also given how slow West Coast move the ball, I have no idea how they have space for 1v1 contest. Feeling our running is worst in AFL offensively and defensively.

You can’t play fast for 4 QTR’s over an entire season, especially now with new rules - it’s way to taxing.

Yeah, agree. Midfield has seriously hollowed out.
Pendles and Sidey can no longer in any way go inside for the ball. they will need to play on the outside now.
Sier needs to be told that if he doesn't go much harder, he wont stay on the list too much longer.
While Tay and JDG are out, I foresee great difficulties with team balance.
Unfortunately, Cal Brown has struggled to impact.
I would try Tyler in his place.
Loss of JDG tonight was the crucial blow. We could not challenge inside after that.:'(
It’s Poulter time!

Howe off was the turning point. From there Allen and Darling went nuts and set the game up.
3 winnables coming up and could be in the 8 after Rd 8.
Biggest issue is speed so the older slow coaches can be phased out and get some kids in for certain roles. Bit like 2010☺️
So far ran dogs close after that first 5 mins shouldn't have dropped lions giants was horrific and ok with 2 down last night but hard in Perth.
See how the next month plays before crisis talks.
Big advantage is a lot of sides we are competing for spots with (giants lions saints even Geelong also down so hasn't really gone past yet). Next week big.

I dont think there is much of a strength mismatch between those 2, only really a height difference and that's within reason given Darling is only 191cm.

However Keane definitely needs a bog year in the gym as Darling rag dolled him.
I think those measurements fail the eye test. 5 cm height difference and 7kg weight. No way Darling is only 7kg heavier than Maynard.

There's an old saying, if it looks like dog poo, smells like dog poo and tastes like dog poo, it's probably dog poo.

Howe's injury looked like a PCL to me. Never seen a hamstring injury in a marking contest before.
I wonder if we'll be hearing this week scans reveal some knee damage - I hope I'm wrong.

It's been confirmed again today that it's a hamstring - out of Howe's own mouth no less. He also said it had settled down well overnight, although he had a fairly significant limp at the airport in the footage I saw.

Considering how heavily the back of Howe's knee was strapped we were either lucky or unlucky that there wasn't much give in the strapping there. Fingers crossed it is only minor and we're only missing him for 4-5 weeks, instead of it being a case of pretty much season over for him again.

We should win our next 3 and if we do and play good footy along the way, I might have a bit of confidence. Gotta be 4-4 after round 8 because its a tougher stretch after that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question is why.
The Eagles are a successful well run club with great facilities, plenty of coin and huge marketing power in WA. To date they have always been a destination club for WA players and without looking at their list I would suggest most of the team are home grown here in WA. You will find that good to great young talent will probably end up back in Perth incl Logan Macdonald which keeps them continually strong. Noticed the Eagles never bottom out.

We should win our next 3 and if we do and play good footy along the way, I might have a bit of confidence. Gotta be 4-4 after round 8 because its a tougher stretch after that

See and this is the problem! People expecting stuff...footy's always been about who performs best on the day. So what people think should happen is irrelevant. It's what does happen, and then maybe you learn from the result...but expecting it never has made it happen.
Expect to turn up, expect to have a real dip but expecting a result in a two horse race...?

See and this is the problem! People expecting stuff...footy's always been about who performs best on the day. So what people think should happen is irrelevant. It's what does happen, and then maybe you learn from the result...but expecting it never has made it happen.
Expect to turn up, expect to have a real dip but expecting a result in a two horse race...?
We should be beating the 3 worst teams, I wouldn't have thought that's asking much.

Collingwood’s tour of Perth at Optus Stadium began brightly, before significant injuries and decline in consistency saw the Magpies falter against West Coast by 27 points. In the opening term, the Woods got out to an early lead with Brodie Grundy leading the way with two marks up forward resulted in majors, while Darcy Moore was swung forward for the entire match leaving the defence slightly weakened without him. Once Jordan De Goey took a heavy hit to the nose, coupled with Jeremy Howe’s hamstring injury in the second term, the team could not sustain the energy and performance required to win the game, and took a significant nosedive once those two moments occurred. After Howe went out of the game, Moore was kept forward with reliance on inexperienced defender Mark Keane in tandem with Jordan Roughead to hold the fort behind the ball. Both of them could not quell the dominance from Oscar Allen (who I urged Collingwood to draft in 2017 with our first selection before selecting Jaidyn Stephenson) and Jack Darling who dined out on an unrecognisable and smaller defensive unit with Moore not stationed there to take intercept marks. To rub salt into the wound, Collingwood were unable to deny Dom Sheed’s withering burst of 3 goals deep into time-on of the third term that made it incredibly hard for the Magpies to realistically challenge for the win once he kicked the dagger through the heart as he has done numerous times before against Collingwood. Sheed will forever be the greatest villain for that Grand Final goal he converted in 2018, which still gets spoken about to this day. Early in the last quarter, Collingwood had a sneaky chance when they reduced the deficit to 22 points with almost 9 minutes of game time remaining before the Eagles were able to kick clear to snuff it out and prevail comfortably.

Collingwood only won four statistical categories on the night. They were contested possessions by +5 (143 - 138), intercept possessions were won by +3 (68 - 65), while hit-outs had a margin of +1 (29 - 28), and +8 for Inside 50s (50 - 42). West Coast flexed their muscles winning the remaining statistical categories such as disposals by +75 (414 - 339), kicks were won by +74 (268 - 194), +1 for handballs (146 - 145), and uncontested possessions had a differential of +70 (274 - 204). Clearances had a margin of +8 (39 - 31), of which centre clearances were won by +2 (15 - 13), while stoppage clearances were +6 (24 - 18). Uncontested marks were won by +50 (123 - 73), with a differential of +5 for Contested Marks ( 13 - 8 ), while tackles had an advantage of +15 (51 - 36), and Tackles Inside 50 were won by +3 (6 - 3). Marks Inside 50 (11 apiece) was the only category in dispute.

Jack Crisp (32 disposals @ 62%, 541 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 21 kicks, 11 handballs, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 11 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) continues to win the ball at will, but his ball use has been deplorable and inexplicable, especially in his last two matches including this game.

Scott Pendlebury (24 disposals @ 88%, 373 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 centre clearances & 5 Inside 50s) created scoring opportunities and won enough of the ball to use it effectively.

Steele Sidebottom (22 disposals @ 77%, 248 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 12 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50s) had a reasonable night without dominating. Improved his ball use from his previous game to give his team a chance of scoring some goals.

Brodie Grundy (20 disposals @ 70%, 184 metres gained, 15 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 25 hit-outs, 11 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 7 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 goals) started like a house on fire in the first quarter, before his influence diminished after that, yet he competed extremely well and won his battle against Nic Naitanui in a losing cause which was very unfortunate.

Chris Mayne (19 disposals @ 100%, 195 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks & 7 score involvements) had a solid game where he used the ball well and contributed to scoring chains, which he usually does not do very often.

Levi Greenwood (19 disposals @ 74%, 282 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) relished more game time, and had a crack with his intent to tackle and gather the ball from stoppages.

Finlay Macrae (18 disposals @ 61%, 242 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks, 4 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) displayed promising signs on debut as he emerges as part of the next wave of midfielders the Magpies have coming through the ranks.

Brayden Maynard (27 disposals @ 85%, 428 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 11 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 12 handballs, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) managed to win a lot of possessions, but he was having to battle Jack Darling (a battle that Maynard won against him 2 years ago), who cashed in on Maynard’s lack of height after Jeremy Howe had injured his hamstring which made Maynard’s task much more difficult.

Beau McCreery (11 disposals @ 54%, 239 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) had his best game for the club so far, and will look to build his standards in the coming weeks.

Brody Mihocek (11 disposals @ 36%, 290 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 tackles, 8 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) disappointed me with his wasteful conversion in front of the sticks which let the team down. Late in the third term after kicking a behind to reduce the deficit to 23 points instead of 18 points, Dom Sheed kicked the next three goals in no time to extend the lead for the Eagles by 41 points. Ensure you own responsibility for those behinds, Brody, so that the team does not risk a four-goal deficit becoming seven majors like it did in Perth!

Darcy Moore (9 disposals @ 78%, 268 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 8 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 goals) started well outside his normal habitat, couldn’t get near it in the next two quarters where the game was lost, before finishing with a flurry of consolation goals to provide a respectable finish to a dismal loss.

Collingwood’s next game will be against Essendon on April 25 (Anzac Day) at the MCG. Time to find winning form now without desired personnel available for selection and produce a brand of footy that is sustainable over four quarters against the Bombers who are equally depleted. Hopefully, there will be full capacity announcements for venues such as the MCG and Marvel Stadium here in Victoria, that would make the entire state smile in the event that it does occur before the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back