Review Round 6, 2020 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I watched a different game to some. Good last quarter, but the first three were awful to watch. The same shitty forward line entries as the last umpteen years.

GWS are an ok side, but I don't think this was an amazing win and they didn't play well.

We won, which we wouldn't have done in the last few years so that's something.

Who cares, it’s July and we banked 4 points and move onto next week.

I actually quite enjoyed the game. For once the broadcast allowed you to appreciate some of the set ups and tactics of both sides.

The super skilled and talented Giants wanting fast, corridor play won out of the middle or from Haynes intercepts. Port slowing them down wherever possible and clogging the centre and rolling with a high defence. Port using short kicks to establish their rebound and overlap before getting it into the ‘right’ hands to deliver inside fifty.

The pressure from both sides was immense and there was some solid scrap at times. Umpiring was poor but, to be honest, the scrap and pressured nature of the game didn’t make it easy for them. We didn’t buy into GWS’ false physicality and stuck to our game plan. The general effort was outstanding and it was a great sign that we weren’t solely reliant on the olds boys.

I thought Dixon was really good again but was killed by bad delivery and spoiled by our own players.
Gray didn’t get much but his centre work was brilliant.
Marshall did a job on Haynes.
SPP got reward for effort - seems like it’s a confidence thing for him, so hopefully this builds some.
Farrell was great, his effort defensively was spot on, he positioned himself well and he seemed to get it today, to understand where he needed to be in the link of play.
Butters was good again.
Jonas seemed to be everywhere in the backline and McKenzie looked so much better as that third tall defender.
Boak was down on output but his effort was excellent.
DBJ, Hammer and Burton got it done and Clurey was better, still not good but better.
Houston stepped up.
Wines was alright but nothing near to what he is capable of.
Ebert was good.
Motlop and Rozee are both down but still seem to make things happen when they are near it.
Amon was reliable as ever.
Lycett solid and bettered Mumford despite the ‘battering’.

Sutcliffe would have to be done now. Westhoff woweee that was a stinker.

Who cares, it’s July and we banked 4 points and move onto next week.

Pretty much. I wasn't expecting the win so always makes the win feel better.

Thought we were lucky in the third, GWS probably burnt a couple of chances to really put the scoreboard pressure on, whereas we did our best to waste most forward 50 entries. Amazed umps paid Dixon the mark at the end of the third, way things were going I expected them to pay a push against him.

We owned the last quarter though and probably could have kicked further in front. Felt we were only going to get further in front the longer the quarter went.

Positives,
Farrell, SPP, Houston and Amon stepping up. Need our 20-23 year olds to start owning it and really showing their ready to take the next step against the better sides not just the bottom 8.

Nice to see Robbie getting more minutes in the middle, clearances are so much more effective when he's in the centre. He just gets his arms clear and the ball out to our advantage. Releases teammates with handballs and knock ons into space rather than just passing on the pressure.

Forward line pressure was getting back to 14 levels, yet still backed up with a strong last quarter so legs are looking strong.

Negative
Still burn too many entries with either poor options or goal kicking.

It certainly wasn't pretty and it was frustrating at times but jeez I thought that was a very good hard fought win against good opposition. We did what we needed to do. We beat them in the midfield, won the hard ball, had more going up forward and were able to successfully shut down their forward line.

It really was redemption. 12-4 centre clearances. 51-33 Inside 50s. Thats what I want to see.

Was it fault free? Definitely not. The forwards need to sort themselves out as the amount of times two of them flew for the same mark and spoiled each other was ridiculous. Our entries inside 50 reverted back to 2017-19 Hoof ball. But, we did so much else well. The thing I've really noted about our play this year is the amount of smothers we've done. We made more smothers today than we probably did the whole of last year. Was the same against the Crows as well. Defensively we were very very good.

Was great to see Farrell have that sort of game after a couple of quiet ones. Clurey recovered reasonably well. Jonas was very good. Lycett was excellent in the ruck. Amon probably best on ground. SPP the raging bull. Houston was very good again.

Last year we would have lost that. 2018 we would have lost that. So good to win a hard one.

PLAYER REVIEWS
Sutcliffe - Thought it was Matty Lokan out there to start with but thought his time on the ground was quite positive. Got involved, did some nice defensive things and was effective with the ball before he did his hammy. Its a shame as he was performing.

Marshall - Inconspicuous in the first half. Really liked his last quarter though and kicked a very important goal. Needs to not jump in front of Dixon and instead make his own space.

Clurey - Was better. Better defensively, better with the ball, better keeping track of his opponent. More of the same please.

Motlop - Needs to do more. Just isn't getting near it enough and when he does get it, he stops, straight arms his opponent whilst running backwards and gives off a defensive handball. We need more from him.

Gray - Liked his cameo in the middle and thought he did some crucial things up forward including getting involved a couple of times in his goal of the day. Would still love to see one more big Robbie performance at some point.

Ebert - He seemed to think he was Choppy Pickett in the first quarter. Will probably be suspended for that. After that he played ok. Not as involved as he has been but was a solid effort.

McKenzie - Much better than last week. Some really good defensive efforts throughout the game and liked that he sneaked forward in the last quarter. Beaten in the air once or twice but overall did what he had to do.

Westhoff - Didnt do much up forward but really came into it when moved down back. That was good coaching and it got him more into the game. Ended up being one of the reasons why we killed the game for GWS and won it for us.

Burton - Liked his kick in's, thought he was alright defensively. Solid first game back without doing a whole lot that was noticeable.

Rozee - Is struggling with his decision making and skill execution at the moment. Its clear he's in a rut. I'm ok with that. It shows to him that he still needs to work hard and be on his game 100%. Had a couple of good moments but all I remember is the turnovers right now.

Dixon - That mark and goal at the end of the third really gave us the hope we could win this. Was a solid game without having the chance to break out due to his teammates getting in his way and some poor kicking. Did all he could.

Butters - He's becoming so clutch. I love how that when the game heats up, when the match is on the line, he is standing up and having big quarters and big moments individually. Love him. He's just so so good

Lycett - Was getting beaten up early but made his concentration the ball and really led the way for the midfield to win us the match. Excellent performance. Excellent.

DBJ - Was ok without being spectacular. Is having a decent year without having reached the great heights of last year just yet.

Wines - Was nowhere early but really came into it in the second quarter. Really should have kicked a couple of goals, and some of his kicks inside 50 were awful, but overall he had a decent enough game

Houston - Thought he was great in the first half through the midfield. Was winning the ball at stoppages, kicking was excellent and was having a real influence through there. That influence stopped after half time, but he was the catalyst to get us moving.

SPP - His manic efforts at the ball have been there all year and he continued that today which was nice. What he added was actually winning the ball and influencing with it as well. Great goal in the last when it mattered. Was very very good

Amon - Super consistent as he has been all year. Didn't really put a foot wrong. The confidence he has now, he's like a completely different player to a few years ago. He takes the game on and backs himself to hit targets under pressure....and he does. So stoked we have him and he's turned into such an important player for us.

Boak - Great goal early then basically wasn't seen for an hour. GWS did a good job in shutting him out, but like the star he is, when the match was on the line, he came into it and had a big influence in the last quarter. Not his best game, but one full of important moments.

Jonas - Was interesting seeing him play on Greene for quite some time. Thought he did alright on him. What I liked was the face he was able to zone off a bit more and was really impacting a lot of contests. Had a great game down back.

Hartlett - Solid as a MF'ing rock. Not a lot of the ball but thought his positioning was very good and he came into the game at the right moments.

Farrell - You beauty! That's what i've wanted to see from him. He's been a low possession type for a while now so its great to see that he has this sort of performance in him, that he can have an impact on a wing, get a lot of the ball and be a real big part of a good win. Was in everything in the second half and topped off with a great goal.

Very happy tonight!

lol @ McKenzie desperately trying to get long bomb bragging rights back late in the game, spraying one and having another smothered, after this:

4808ss.gif
Yep we've aligned quite an arsenal of long range bombers

Hammer n the lefties

When all else fails kick it over their heads

Our kick-outs in past seasons frustrated me. Often a short kick then a bomb to the boundary line. But this year I like seeing McKenzie bomb it long down the guts. Doesn't always pay off but it's a sign the team is prepared to back itself in a contest.

At the ground today and it was a tough watch at times.

Like the west coast game we worked hard to defend the switch and you could clearly see how we stopped them from breaking through and made them look up and stop.

Our defence was 1st class in the first quarter, so desperate.

Spoiling each other in the forward line was horrendous and our fumbles all around the ground were terrible compared to 2 weeks earlier. Kicking out of defence in the 3rd was bad, Westhoff was out bodied, out positioned and uncompetitive on 3-4 kick outs.

Last quarter was great. Energy from the team and the crowd was there. Will be watching the replay as I started yelling out during the 3qt cross to Lynch on the boundary line and had the lighting guy and cable guy looking up at us and laughing as the power clap went up.

Big difference I saw (which REH has done the stats on) was the midfield battle compared to Brisbane game (was behind the goals and a number of drinks in, so couldn’t see all of it). We were just so much more aggressive and into it while against Brisbane we were meek and watching. No one from GWS looked like a superstar.

Gabba next week and would love to see a win there, hate the Brisbane crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sore throat etc -> Covid test during game so watching replay.
BTW - Sydney test was a little more invasive than the SA one, but still easily bearable.

Observations:

A long, long day. Hope next week they can fly over the day before.

Todd Marshall - looked unwell to me. Maybe Westhoff as well.

Mummy should be cited for the head hit.

Robbie rest -> Dylan in? But that goal was nice.

Rozee's role seems to have changed?

Forward entries and setups back to normal Hinkleyball. Where have the lead ups and talls separation gone?

Some good cameos, and overall they played as a very good team.

Bizarre Sutcliffe call up fell flat - typical Hinkley reaction after a loss. But good to see Ken in the song after his 300.

Really pleasing finish. Toughed it out with good play at the end.

I think I watched a different game to some. Good last quarter, but the first three were awful to watch. The same shitty forward line entries as the last umpteen years.

GWS are an ok side, but I don't think this was an amazing win and they didn't play well.

We won, which we wouldn't have done in the last few years so that's something.

I think this is underselling it a bit. GWS are a very good side, they played in a GF last year and came into the having knocked off Collingwood and Hawthorn in the previous 2 weeks.

They have excellent tall defensive intercept players and they are terrific at cutting off attacks and rebounding. They run and spread well and have the sort of forward line that troubles us if their midfield gets a hold of us.

We controlled the midfield battle all day, and we simply didn't let their midfield get a hold of us like Brisbane did last week. We pressured their rebound and generated turnovers. They didn't play well because we didn't let them. We were well organised at the stoppages and with team defence and we forced them into errors.

Last year in a very similar game, we defended worse and we struggled harder to break through their defence, and we lost. We've improved both in style, effort and maturity at key moments in the game. The forward entries are still a work in progress but GWS are a very difficult team to score freely against.

I think this is underselling it a bit. GWS are a very good side, they played in a GF last year and came into the having knocked off Collingwood and Hawthorn in the previous 2 weeks.

They have excellent tall defensive intercept players and they are terrific at cutting off attacks and rebounding. They run and spread well and have the sort of forward line that troubles us if their midfield gets a hold of us.

We controlled the midfield battle all day, and we simply didn't let their midfield get a hold of us like Brisbane did last week. We pressured their rebound and generated turnovers. They didn't play well because we didn't let them. We were well organised at the stoppages and with team defence and we forced them into errors.

Last year in a very similar game, we defended worse and we struggled harder to break through their defence, and we lost. We've improved both in style, effort and maturity at key moments in the game. The forward entries are still a work in progress but GWS are a very difficult team to score freely against.

i dont disagree with some of your other points, but the bolded part made me chuckle. if richmond kicked a bit straighter they would have given 119 a shake. no one gives us credit for playing in a GF in 2007 and rightly so, but GWS were just as putrid.

PORT ADELAIDE 1.2 4.4 5.6 9.9 (63)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 0.1 2.5 4.9 6.10 (46)

GOALS
Port Adelaide:
Boak, Amon, Gray, Motlop, Dixon, Powell-Pepper, Farrell, Marshall, Butters
Greater Western Sydney: Cameron 2, Greene, Whitfield, Finlayson, Ash

BEST
Port Adelaide:
Farrell, Boak, Hartlett, Powell-Pepper, Houston, Amon
Greater Western Sydney: Whitfield, Coniglio, Haynes, Greene, Cameron

INJURIES
Port Adelaide:
Sutcliffe (hamstring)
Greater Western Sydney: Lloyd (delayed concussion)

i dont disagree with some of your other points, but the bolded part made me chuckle. if richmond kicked a bit straighter they would have given 119 a shake. no one gives us credit for playing in a GF in 2007 and rightly so, but GWS were just as putrid.

They should give us credit for making a GF in 2007, we were the second best side that year. We beat every other side in the top 6 and absolutely smashed it in the prelim.

GWS were a side that has been around the make for several years, in form, and they'll be around the mark again this year. They'll be fully expecting to challenge for and win a flag this year.

If they're average, then what sides are good in 2020?

As for it being ugly to watch, I could not give less of a s**t really. Winning ugly is something we haven't done well for more than a decade. We'll need to win a few more ugly games if we're going to win a flag. We kept our eyes on the prize and closed the game out in a very professional last quarter, something outrageously un-Port Adelaide in the Hinkley era.

Loved Farrels game today. Used his pace and also his kicking is a real weapon.

The GWS seems to be that dirty thug side, for example Mumford just being "clumsy".

Ebert will get games, but not really much in that to be honest.

Loved Farrels game today. Used his pace and also his kicking is a real weapon.

The GWS seems to be that dirty thug side, for example Mumford just being "clumsy".

Ebert will get games, but not really much in that to be honest.

end of the day Evert gets a game, gives him a rest and we can see another kid get a shot I hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back