Review Round 7, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I rest my case
I didn't have Oscar in my votes, he would of been in the next tier for me... I thought he was good, I was surprised when some on here were bagging his game.

If you need any more reason to question the goal and mark of the year, check out this week's mark of the year nominees video. Curnow gets 1 minute and Dunkley gets 14 seconds with the same footage shown twice

If you need any more reason to question the goal and mark of the year, check out this week's mark of the year nominees video. Curnow gets 1 minute and Dunkley gets 14 seconds with the same footage shown twice
I wonder which one they want people to vote for?

Goal of the Year - AFL.com.au

So VOTE for WILL ASHCROFT

and tell everyone you know to make sure there is no chance that any other "Goal of the Week" gets up. There has been a bit too much love for Walters "Holding the Ball" goal

And Mark of the Year here

Coaches votes-​

Brisbane v Fremantle​

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Oscar McInerney (BL)
3 Brandon Starcevich (BL)
3 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Josh Dunkley (BL)

I watched the game again this morning and was struck with how good Starcevich was, has been down on his best this season, fantastic to see him hit some form.
So one of the coaches gave O 4 votes?

I was a little confused with the Answerth sub. What role was he playing? Wonder what they’re trying to do with him - perhaps mould him into a mid/hf?
That's where he played in the last two VFL games he played.

He was a mid in the NAB league.

344395834_939308963977567_8920499747129968219_n.jpg

We're all winners!!

FFS, we are meant to be a professional football club and Bailey and Cam are eating big macs.

Hodgey takes their soft drinks away for waters under the mantra that we are pros ... somehow I don't think Big Macs would be high on the list of professional sports foods.

Hmm I wonder what young master Ashcroft would have to say about a pro athlete consuming a Big Mac (since that is one of his areas of interest) ...

Hodgey takes their soft drinks away for waters under the mantra that we are pros ... somehow I don't think Big Macs would be high on the list of professional sports foods.

Hmm I wonder what young master Ashcroft would have to say about a pro athlete consuming a Big Mac (since that is one of his areas of interest) ...

You must have missed the Zac Bailey episode of kick ins. Actually quite a few interviews over the years

You must have missed the Zac Bailey episode of kick ins. Actually quite a few interviews over the years
Haven't watched a one of them so totally a lock on that assumption.

Guessing they have been sculling the softdrinks on the shows? Unfortunate that...

People are talking about omitting Lester not because of performance but because Joyce has extra height that may be needed for Carlton. I haven’t seen a single comment actually bash Lester or his performance on the weekend and are only concerned about the matchup not being favourable.

Also I feel like you have omitted some key parts of those stats. All three of Starcevich’s marks were contested (most likely all intercepted as well) compared to 0 from Lester. Starc also had 9 intercept possessions (a team high) compared to 5 from Lester. It’s very clear from these that Starc was much more impactful than what you’re making out since these are much more important than metres gained (since neither of these players are halfbacks where this is more expected).

You can look back on some of my old comments and I’m not praising Joyce but I feel like you’re being disingenuous with your statistics. I know you have also sited AFL fantasy points before and I don’t want to be too rude but I feel like you place too much value in statistics that don’t carry any weight. Aaron Hall has racked up so many disposals in the VFL and yet I feel like North Melbourne are silly playing him when they already have two more damaging halfbacks.

I liked Lester’s performance over Joyce’s performance in previous weeks because he knew his limitations as a player and didn’t turn it over horrendously because of it. He’s also much smarter defensively and a good leader. None of these are present in the stats and while I know you know this there’s no need to compare empty stats to try and convince others if they don’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good stats and thanks. I’m not saying Starcevich had a bad game. You might have included Lester’s 6 ‘ one percent’ acts (spoils, shepherds, knock ons and smothers) to Starcevich’s 1. Lester does and did the unglamorous hard grunt work that makes defences work. I wouldn’t for a nano-second suggest that Starcevich is open to criticism, but equally, I don’t think Lester should be dropped given his performance and I don’t think Joyce is as good a defender.

Last edited:
That's where he played in the last two VFL games he played.

He was a mid in the NAB league.
Do the vast majority (outside of key position players/ruckmen) guys that get a decent run at AFL level play as mids in the NAB league? Or is it a pretty good mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the one where they mentioned they are given a free pass after games to eat whatever they want?
Including Big Macs.
I remember a WAFL player saying his normal post game meal was pizza. He went on to say that a lot of the things that athletes avoid especially salts, are in heavy supply in fast food so it can be helpful for recovery.

I remember a WAFL player saying his normal post game meal was pizza. He went on to say that a lot of the things that athletes avoid especially salts, are in heavy supply in fast food so it can be helpful for recovery.
Its pretty common to see them eating pizza in the rooms after games. Easy food to pack in things they need for recovery. Its not always "bad unhealthy" pizza though

I know for a fact Geelong players drink coke during games and eat junk afterwards as well, when you're expending that much energy you basically just need to replenish, nutritional content really matters for little at that point.

Yeah very common knowledge for awhile that players go on a bit of a bender after games. He burn that many calories that they basically need to eat a bunch of crappy food just for the calorie intake. There is no way they would be on a calorie deficient diet otherwise they would lose muscle and strength.

Pretty good day at the footy I thought... Won every quarter, saw goal of the year (from a better angle than most if not all of the cameras - from the top tier behind those goals), saw Dunks take a speccy... Our handball intercept game was back up and running with some great help from our forwards applying pressure from behind (ie our forward side of the ball)...

Almost reckon tho my favourite part of the day came during the press conference, when Fages mentioned our third quarter. His reaction was simply to ask the players what he should say, and their response was perfect; their final quarter performance spoke volumes. We get frustrated with our team's inability to finish off and bury teams but being able to essentially coach yourself and correct things on the fly without requiring intervention from off-field is the end goal. This was a good step in the right direction.

Back