Preview Round 7, 2023 : Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat April 29th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am just excited to be able to go to my first game live in 4 years. Flying in from the otherside of the world on Friday (flights planned to be able to go to the game) and just hoping for a competitive game and Lewis to be back - looking forward to seeing how we set up off the ball as you don't get to see that on TV.

I think it bodes well going into the future struggling to nominate ins and outs. Means we will have good depth and it is often how good/bad your bottom 6 is that dictate how good/bad you are.
Correct. The form of Box Hill is also off the charts. Our depth is fantastic. We just lack experience at present.

The floor is being raised.

I think that is the next step in our evolution - it could even be this year. We have already raised the ceiling, bringing new elements to our gameplan with new, talented players. As they gain experience we should see them also raise the floor, improving consistency and becoming more rounded players. In the interim, having some actual depth gives Mitchell flexibility and options to pick players on form, instead of role. To mould the team into something greater than its individual parts.

Instead of looking at what players can (or even ARE) doing, we start to look at what they're not. Simply knowing that there's small forwards, tall forwards, rebound defenders, shutdown defenders and even potentially another midfielder or two playing well in the reserves means no position is "safe".

For example, Impey and CJ give run, but not much defensively. Bramble's getting a billion possessions, and was previously dropped for poor defensive efforts. Maybe Bramble gets another shot and replaces one of Impey/CJ on form. Maybe the coaches feel Hardwick and Mitchell aren't giving us enough drive, and want more from that position and play Bramble for a 3rd rebounding option. Perhaps they want more defensive support, and play Scrimshaw and Morris instead. None of those guys look out of place in an AFL 22. But what about a premiership team?

The key is to take advantage of this period - young players still to prove their worth might spend half a year at Box Hill. Players 23+ probably shouldn't and will want to look elsewhere for regular football (as should we). In two years, every one of the above players would expect to be playing every week, and we can't pick them all. They will need to continue to grow and develop just to hold their spot. No-one on the list is "good enough" to be irreplaceable (of course some are closer than others!)

I look at our list and say who is going to be worse in 12m time? Breust, Wingard and Frost are the only guys 28 or older; whilst Sicily, Impey, and Hardwick are probably as good as they can get. Amon, Meek, Greene and Bramble are mature players, but either still learning our systems and their team-mates or preparing at AFL level. Everyone else has untapped potential to improve and if they don't, they will get left behind.

I can't pick 3 de-listings this year - yet we are last on the ladder. There's probably 10-12 players who won't even be on our list next time we play a final, yet I cannot even pick 3 to go.

As it stands, heading into Round 7.

We're 8th for Total Clearances (Dogs are 4th)
Equal 9th for Centre Clearances (Dogs 16th)
9th for Stoppage Clearances(Dogs 2nd)
5th for hitouts (Dogs 11th)

17th Marks inside 50 (Dogs 16th)
16th for shots on goal (Dogs 17th)
Equal 17th for Inside 50's (Dogs 13th)
18th for Goal Accuracy (Dogs 15th)
18th Goal efficiency (Dogs 17th)

3rd for Tackles (Dogs 8th)
1st Tackles inside 50 (Dogs 9th)

With how close we are in the clearance game ontop of Day coming back and Dogs losing Libba, for the first time in weeks I am feeling liking a win is entirely possible.

We've been a better centre clearance side than the Dogs, even without Day, but we've broken down at half forward and not turned our stoppage game into scores.

To add to this our offensive games are also quite evenly matched on output, with both sides struggling to make the most of their inside 50's, but with a little luck ours should get a shot in the arm if Lewis/Ramsden are named allowing Greene and Breust to find it a bit easier.

If Nash can do a good job of shadowing Bont while being damaging himself, and Lewis and Day play, we should be right in this.

We are last in total score for, by a significant margin (58 points) and are third last for total scores against.

The Doggies are equal second last for total score for (alongside North) but are fifth for total scores against.

So they don't score, but are hard to score against. I'm not sure if that bodes well for us or not.

With how close we are in the clearance game ontop of Day coming back and Dogs losing Libba, for the first time in weeks I am feeling liking a win is entirely possible.

We've been a better centre clearance side than the Dogs, even without Day, but we've broken down at half forward and not turned our stoppage game into scores.

To add to this our offensive games are also quite evenly matched on output, with both sides struggling to make the most of their inside 50's, but with a little luck ours should get a shot in the arm if Lewis/Ramsden are named allowing Greene and Breust to find it a bit easier.

If Nash can do a good job of shadowing Bont while being damaging himself, and Lewis and Day play, we should be right in this.

I'd share your confidence if at the G. But I hate playing at Marvel, especially against a home team like the Dogs who even beat Brisbane there this year.

The Dogs touched us up badly at Marvel last year and would surely be up for Bonts 200th, I'd be happy with a four goal loss as gut feel is this could get messy. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I think we're a good chance next week against Freo however.

Might want to look at Moore’s heat maps this year before invoking him as a shield for Breust’s below average start to the year.
Moore has been down on his last season and is in his prime. He needs to lift. It’s really up to other players to move past Breust as a goal kicker. We simply haven’t had anyone do that yet.

I'd love to know the stats for us conceding marks inside 50 because the way the dogs bomb it in for their talls, we could find some trouble there this week. We are generally pretty nervous under high balls and that is a big part of the dogs and their forward entries, its just that most other teams are confident in dealing with that while we panic big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to know the stats for us conceding marks inside 50 because the way the dogs bomb it in for their talls, we could find some trouble there this week. We are generally pretty nervous under high balls and that is a big part of the dogs and their forward entries, its just that most other teams are confident in dealing with that while we panic big time.
It’s quite disappointing that there’s a whole world of stats that pop up on Fox Footy that the general public cannot find or get access to.

Its been a while since I last visited this dump... Essendon last year.. trying my best to forget, but question is it really like $52 for a GA ticket, or am I going crazy, because that's outrageous

I just get a ticket level 3 for $15. There are still plenty of $11 tickets.

I'm a home and away member, some other options are $23 for level 1 away team area 😀 or $48 for level 2 wings.

Not a fan of level 1 as I'm very short and really strugling to see the whole field 🙄.

The volume of tackling we did against the Crows will have taken a physical toll on our players.
For that reason alone I think we need to make a few changes and keep the team as fresh as possible.
I can see as many as four changes but suspect it will just be two

Blanc for back line height
Day for midfield class
Weddle for leg speed, aggression (and to satisfy my curiosity)
Lewis for forward line height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back